Why do people discredit social science degrees?

Watch
setarexhx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I was just watching a video of Katie Hopkins where she was basically saying that if you’re going to university to study psychology then you shouldn’t go. Why do people discredit sociology, psychology so much and not see it as a genuine degree? I know finding work in these fields is often hard but in my perspective, they’re two subjects that really open your eyes and teach you so much about people and society. What do you think?
Last edited by setarexhx; 7 months ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Because Katie Hopkins lives to be controversial
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
i barely know anything about Katie Hopkins but my guess in general is because there’s no obvious answer to what job a social science degree qualifies you for and there’s an assumption that you don’t use your degree practically in whatever vocation you end up in. but a sociology degree, for example, can help get you into a number of different areas including teaching, public service, journalism etc., cuz not every important position on the planet requires a science or technology degree.

also in the UK it’s pretty common to have a university degree so you folks start to rank them in terms of hierarchy because for whatever reason it helps you determine their level of importance. where im from tho it’s much less common to have a university degree, so social science degrees are not frowned down upon, least to my knowledge. just having a university degree in itself is classed an achievement.
Mojmeer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Very few people study Social Science for the love of it. Most of them end up there because they think that they need some sort of University degree, any, does not matter which one.
"Universities" use that as cash cows, you do not need any A levels or GCSE to make it into a Psychology, SS or History degree. During this August I received several calls from random schools' clearance departments trying to push me into degrees like that Social Science, Psychology, History, Anthropology and even law. I never indicated interest in anything even remotely similar. I do not have GCSEs or A Levels or any English Language cert. No problem "They can work with that" ....

I'd be very careful when looking for a decent school capable of offering a competitive course in Social Science that would be worth the 9k/y and lead somewhere.
owlknightdragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by setarexhx)
I was just watching a video of Katie Hopkins where she was basically saying that if you’re going to university to study psychology then you shouldn’t go. Why do people discredit sociology, psychology so much and not see it as a genuine degree? I know finding work in these fields is often hard but in my perspective, they’re two subjects that really open your eyes and teach you so much about people and society. What do you think?
1.Why on earth were u watching a video of Katie Hopkins
2.People that discredit them only think about the career prospects of the degree and how much money you can gain out of it not the actual value itself
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't think that's really true of psychology. It depends on what kind of psychology, but psychology is definitely a worthwhile science.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
WTF would Katie 'I'm not a racist, i'm just racist, classist and homophobic' Hopkins know about it? :rolleyes:

It's like saying there's no future in golf course management degrees
owlknightdragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by striderhort)
wtf would katie 'i'm not a racist, i'm just racist, classist and homophobic' hopkins know about it? :rolleyes:

It's like saying there's no future in golf course management degrees
lmfaoooo
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Putting aside who sparked the conversation, let's focus on the topic. Is there an oversupply of psychology graduates for a limited number of psych-grad specific roles? Yes. Does that mean the course has no value? No. There is a wealth of value to the nation that the social sciences offer. The classification of psychology as a social science is contested anyway, but the graduate job market for psychology is certainly atypical of the wider social sciences grad pool.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (155)
4.94%
Uncertainty around my education (462)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (351)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (437)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (148)
4.72%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
5.99%
Loneliness (270)
8.61%
Financial worries (113)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (126)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (142)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (171)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (279)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (295)
9.4%

Watched Threads