Rhys_M
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm now going into year 11 and i've started self-learning AQA A-level French. I've bought the vocabulary book Mot à Mot by Hodder education which many people seem to use for vocab.
My question is whether or not it is recommended to learn all the vocab from the book.
I've found that there are many strange phrases that I can't see being used, like "stumbling blocks" and "an insurmountable obstacle".
So is the vocab in there like a minimum requirement for A-level, or high level?
Thanks!
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used that book a bit for A level, but for GCSE vocab I'd recommend that you learn all the AQA GCSE French vocab on memrise before you add any other words or phrases! Ideally you'd have at least 1300 words before you do the exam, so the memrise set should be fine! The vocab in mot à not is good, but not really GCSE level... Even for A level, I focused on learning the vocab in the textbook (both from the texts and from the vocab lists) rather than learning from mot à mot. There's more than enough there to be going on with.
Last edited by redmeercat; 1 month ago
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
I used that book a bit for A level, but for GCSE vocab I'd recommend that you learn all the AQA GCSE French vocab on memrise before you add any other words or phrases! Ideally you'd have at least 1300 words before you do the exam, so the memrise set should be fine! The vocab in mot à not is good, but not really GCSE level... Even for A level, I focused on learning the vocab in the textbook (both from the texts and from the vocab lists) rather than learning from mot à mot. There's more than enough there to be going on with.
J'ai appris déjà tout le contenu pour le GCSE donc ma question concerne le bac - merci.
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rhys_M)
J'ai appris déjà tout le contenu pour le GCSE donc ma question concerne le bac - merci.
Pardon, jai mal lu ton message ! Pour le bac, faut apprendre beaucoup de vocabulaire mais Mot à Mot prèsente encore trop de Mots, je trouve ! Moi, jai créé des cartes de vocabulaire (j'utilise Quizlet, donc je pourrais t'envoyer mes dossiers) Avec Les mots qu'on utilise en cours (etc), et dont jai spécifiquement besoin quand j'écris sea dissertations ! Jai eu in A*, donc jai sûrement appris assez de vocabulaire
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Studying A level French folder on Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/meercatred/folde...=1xqU&i=15tr9c

Yellow Box Vocab set = ❤️
Last edited by redmeercat; 1 month ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rhys_M)
I've found that there are many strange phrases that I can't see being used, like "stumbling blocks" and "an insurmountable obstacle".
You say this now but just wait 6 months or so and you'll be using the above and more like crazy. Using stuff like that and sophisticated vocabulary alongside having sound grammar will help you contend for full marks in every single piece of writing or speaking that you'll do. :hat2:
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
Studying A level French folder on Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/meercatred/folde...=1xqU&i=15tr9c

Yellow Box Vocab set = ❤️
Merci énourmément pour ton aide!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (177)
28.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.69%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (57)
9.15%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.35%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8.03%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.22%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.94%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.21%

Watched Threads