The Student Room Group

some questions - pls help :)

I’ve just started year 12 (induction day) is it bad that:
- I don’t know what I actually want to be yet, I have an idea like I want it to be English based like law or journalism but I don’t acc know yet
- if I don’t know what epq question to do yet, the teachers would help me with that right?
And another thing when you choose the five universities for UCAS do they all have to be top schools or realistic? My parents want me to go to Oxbridge but I would rather like not - am I allowed to choose my uni by myself or do parents normally get very involved?
1) no, you have a whole year to decide what you want to do, and if you still can’t decide at that point, you can take a gap year.

2) I don’t know when EPQs are done so I can’t help with that. Maybe can help?

3) depends what you mean by top unis. You shouldn’t apply to 5 unis that have exactly the same entry requirements as if you miss your grades, you can’t go to uni that year.

4) your parents don’t have access to your UCAS application. You can choose whichever unis you want :smile:
It's fine that you don't know what you want to do yet. Some people have no clue what they are going to do for their career when they leave school. You have lots of time and there are always people to help if you're that worried about it.

Teachers can try to help, but only you can make the decision. You said that you are interested in English, such as law and journalism, so maybe base your question on something like that if that is the route you are aiming to go down.

When you choose your schools, they can be wherever you want. They don't have to be top schools and they definitely don't have to be what your parents decide for you. At the end of the day, it is your education and your career, so you should be the one to choose your options.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
1) no, you have a whole year to decide what you want to do, and if you still can’t decide at that point, you can take a gap year.

2) I don’t know when EPQs are done so I can’t help with that. Maybe @Hellohsjakodsmka can help?

3) depends what you mean by top unis. You shouldn’t apply to 5 unis that have exactly the same entry requirements as if you miss your grades, you can’t go to uni that year.

4) your parents don’t have access to your UCAS application. You can choose whichever unis you want :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply you really lifted a heavy weight from my head :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
It's fine that you don't know what you want to do yet. Some people have no clue what they are going to do for their career when they leave school. You have lots of time and there are always people to help if you're that worried about it.

Teachers can try to help, but only you can make the decision. You said that you are interested in English, such as law and journalism, so maybe base your question on something like that if that is the route you are aiming to go down.

When you choose your schools, they can be wherever you want. They don't have to be top schools and they definitely don't have to be what your parents decide for you. At the end of the day, it is your education and your career, so you should be the one to choose your options.

I hope this helps :smile:

Wow the student room helps a lottt, thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it so much
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for your reply you really lifted a heavy weight from my head :smile: x

You’re welcome! I hope year 12 goes well for you and if you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to either pm me or ask on here :smile:
Wow the student room helps a lottt, thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it so much

Always happy to help :smile:
I’ve just started year 12 (induction day) is it bad that:
- I don’t know what I actually want to be yet, I have an idea like I want it to be English based like law or journalism but I don’t acc know yet
- if I don’t know what epq question to do yet, the teachers would help me with that right?
And another thing when you choose the five universities for UCAS do they all have to be top schools or realistic? My parents want me to go to Oxbridge but I would rather like not - am I allowed to choose my uni by myself or do parents normally get very involved?

I did an English degree, then my journalism exams, and now I'm about to start my first journalism job. I have written a lot about all aspects of this on my blog: https://www.indialilyblogs.com/home-1/categories/study
It will hep you to read some of these I think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending