Sleeping habits disrupted?!

Watch
Eccentric Goatie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I ve slept over daytime for a bunch of years (I m 21, I started when I was... 18? Or 19). There have been different intensities of a disruption of the sleeping routines over the 2/3 years (the lack of sleep during the night and the contrary during daytime was more intense in some phases of the years than others).

In general I lack sleep (or sleep in a more troubled way) during the night and just feel like sleeping during the day like if I couldn’t do anything else. I take naps because I just can’t handle the sleep, while during the night even if I m sleepy I can do something else and get distracted with other stuff and not fall asleep.

Has this ever happened to you? How did you heal this? I try to heal this by forcing myself to sleep during the night, but I still get a lot of sleep during the day. Am I wasting the whole process of reversion if I sleep a bit during the day (for example today I slept the whole night, but fell asleep for 30 mins or so and just couldn’t control it)? Or is it normal for me to in the beginning still have to sleep during the day?

Idk what to do with all this sleep thing because it’s so bad for my health. I ve been to the doctor and tested, I have no sleeping disorders, I just have bad habits. Help me out if you vê been through this or know what to do.. I feel like I won’t ever be able to reverse the need to sleep during the day, I get so inert and hollow during the day.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Eccentric Goatie)
I ve slept over daytime for a bunch of years (I m 21, I started when I was... 18? Or 19). There have been different intensities of a disruption of the sleeping routines over the 2/3 years (the lack of sleep during the night and the contrary during daytime was more intense in some phases of the years than others).

In general I lack sleep (or sleep in a more troubled way) during the night and just feel like sleeping during the day like if I couldn’t do anything else. I take naps because I just can’t handle the sleep, while during the night even if I m sleepy I can do something else and get distracted with other stuff and not fall asleep.

Has this ever happened to you? How did you heal this? I try to heal this by forcing myself to sleep during the night, but I still get a lot of sleep during the day. Am I wasting the whole process of reversion if I sleep a bit during the day (for example today I slept the whole night, but fell asleep for 30 mins or so and just couldn’t control it)? Or is it normal for me to in the beginning still have to sleep during the day?

Idk what to do with all this sleep thing because it’s so bad for my health. I ve been to the doctor and tested, I have no sleeping disorders, I just have bad habits. Help me out if you vê been through this or know what to do.. I feel like I won’t ever be able to reverse the need to sleep during the day, I get so inert and hollow during the day.
Just get yourself to keep normal sleep hours. Aim for eight and if you are doing it during the day then slowly cut down and add it onto the night time sleep. It takes a while to get your sleep patterns to adjust.

You then need to work on your daytime and rather than sleep, do something like exercise and other activities so hopefully you are sleep when it comes to the time. Reading in bed or listening to music is fine.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorder...et-sleep-cycle
Eccentric Goatie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Just get yourself to keep normal sleep hours. Aim for eight and if you are doing it during the day then slowly cut down and add it onto the night time sleep. It takes a while to get your sleep patterns to adjust.

You then need to work on your daytime and rather than sleep, do something like exercise and other activities so hopefully you are sleep when it comes to the time. Reading in bed or listening to music is fine.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorder...et-sleep-cycle
What do you estimate as “a while”?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Eccentric Goatie)
What do you estimate as “a while”?
Depends how bad your patterns are disrupted by.
From night to days it takes a couple of months imo to get your bodyclock readjusted, although sleeping is never a problem.
If you have difficulties, then it will take longer. Its a bit like people with insomnia and some people cant manage it in contrast to someone who just has their sleeping patterns out of kilter. What do you do during the day, does your job or studies occupy large parts?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/insomnia/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads