raibn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello. I am a school leaver (year 13) and my initial plan was to do a degree apprenticeship instead of going to university. Despite that I still applied to universities and Uni of Surrey has given me a place and I have already applied for student loans too. However, I am very insistent on not going university as my older peers that did the same course I have chosen (Business management) have told me that they regretted it as they couldn't find any jobs and went on to different pathways once the 3 years was over. The issue is even though I applied to multiple apprenticeships, I failed to get them and now we are already in september and I have no idea what to do. I would hate to take a gap year as being out of education for a year would be very demotivating for me, any suggestions on the options I have (not including applying to more apprenticeships)? I still plan to apply for more apprenticeships and this time earlier on so I can start early in 2021 however, until then I would really appreciate literally anything (I've also been looking at certificate of higher education as it will mean I'll stay in education for a year but there is low availability). Thank you so much !
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by raibn)
Hello. I am a school leaver (year 13) and my initial plan was to do a degree apprenticeship instead of going to university. Despite that I still applied to universities and Uni of Surrey has given me a place and I have already applied for student loans too. However, I am very insistent on not going university as my older peers that did the same course I have chosen (Business management) have told me that they regretted it as they couldn't find any jobs and went on to different pathways once the 3 years was over. The issue is even though I applied to multiple apprenticeships, I failed to get them and now we are already in september and I have no idea what to do. I would hate to take a gap year as being out of education for a year would be very demotivating for me, any suggestions on the options I have (not including applying to more apprenticeships)? I still plan to apply for more apprenticeships and this time earlier on so I can start early in 2021 however, until then I would really appreciate literally anything (I've also been looking at certificate of higher education as it will mean I'll stay in education for a year but there is low availability). Thank you so much !
So youve rules out university?
You dont want to take a gap year?

Surely the only things are if you arent going to uni, then apply for jobs or do vol work or go travelling?
I would advise against certhe.

If you are interested in a certain area, then do more research and consider doing some professional qualifications.
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by raibn)
If your only concern about going to uni is that you won't necessarily be employable after, then become employable! Get internships at big companies, volunteer, get your grades up and generally become an active student.

The best way to get a job (i've found) is to have a project - if it is a business or a product or a website or something that you can use to show employers your aptitude for business.

I wouldn't recommend taking a gap year - if you don't manage to find one this year, keep looking for next year and you can probably transfer some of your already completed modules to shorten the degree apprenticeship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (85)
21.57%
No (309)
78.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed