The Student Room Group

Can't Participate in Oxford Interview

So, I've taken a gap year and applying to university and I'm seriously considering applying for the chemistry course at Oxford University.

At GCSE I received 9A* 1A; at A level I've already received A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry.

I know that I've already exceeded the requirements but my main concern is obviously the interview process. I'd rather not go into why it would be difficult for me to take the interview right now. The university's website states that if you're unwell or in a condition that will significantly hamper your performance, you should strongly consider not taking part.

My questions how much weaker would my application be without taking part in the interview?

Thanks in Advance.
I'm sorry you'd find it hard right now. You can't get in without the interview, it's not an optional part of the process. They are online this year though if that helps?
I think the stuff on the website just means you shouldn't apply if you can't do the interview (ie you should try the year after instead, perhaps), not that you can apply without the interview
You can theoretically get in without in an interview due to illness (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/interviews/guidance-candidates-who-are-taken-ill)

Understandably you don't want to go into on here, but the answer to your question might depend on why you feel you couldn't attend the interview.

I would get in touch with the university/chemistry department because no one on TSR has anymore information than you do and the admissions team are usually happy to answer candidate's queries.
Reply 4
You should contact the department, they'll give a much more useful answer than TSR could.
You will not get in without an interview.
Original post by black tea
You will not get in without an interview.

As evidenced by the link I posted above, it is possible.
Original post by liverninthered
As evidenced by the link I posted above, it is possible.

Theoretically, if a candidate is taken ill before the interview (not "would rather not go" like OP), and the interview can't be re-arranged.
Reply 8
Original post by firsttimeuser33
So, I've taken a gap year and applying to university and I'm seriously considering applying for the chemistry course at Oxford University.

At GCSE I received 9A* 1A; at A level I've already received A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry.

I know that I've already exceeded the requirements but my main concern is obviously the interview process. I'd rather not go into why it would be difficult for me to take the interview right now. The university's website states that if you're unwell or in a condition that will significantly hamper your performance, you should strongly consider not taking part.

My questions how much weaker would my application be without taking part in the interview?

Thanks in Advance.

Oxford considers its interviews as akin to a teaching tutorial, so any illness that meant you couldn't attend would have to be a very temporary one or essentially you are saying that you couldn't participate with their teaching methods - clearly they wouldn't offer you a place if that was the case.
Original post by black tea
Theoretically, if a candidate is taken ill before the interview (not "would rather not go" like OP), and the interview can't be re-arranged.

Correct - although misquoting the op there they said "rather not go into why...". It could be possible we don't know their circumstances.

You are right to point out it's theoretical - the link says "a college may...", suggesting they would not be obliged to even if there was a good reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending