The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

2022 GCSE and Alevel exams could possibly be cancelled as current year 10s and year 12s are missing education which would put them at a disadvantage and ultimately, make it unfair for them to sit exams, knowing that they haven’t had enough time to prepare. As a year 12, I am hoping they cancel exams indefinitely as overall, they are an unfair way to assess an individual as many perform differently when in those conditions.
Reply 21
Year 12 here and I'm losing my mind over this. I don't think our exams in 2022 will be cancelled and it seems unreasonable to do so as well (especially as our GCSEs were cancelled, I'm sure they're determined to make us at least sit some formal examinations before leaving school), but I hope the government will take what's happening into consideration when it comes to next year. People arguing that 'it's not so hard to revise' are right, but what's the point of revising when the teaching process is awful and things are skipped over? I can self-study my subjects to some degree, but I know for a fact that I do much better in school. It doesn't help that some of my teachers are terrible with technology so we get dumped with work and have zero contact, don't get feedback, don't get any work marked, etc. One of my subjects is French - how are you supposed to practice speaking when your teachers can't even set up a live video call to talk to each other? Over the two national lockdowns and the two-week lockdown my sixth form had in November (we had too many cases in one go), I've probably had only ten live lessons ever when private school kids are getting them every day. The system was already somewhat tipped in their favour, but the gap is widening even more now. Discussions in English Literature are a mess when they're in the chat box. Nobody knows how essay writing for our novel in French is even assessed. Psychology is a little easier to self-teach because that's basically a rote-memorisation subject based on the text book, but I know some of my classmates struggle with concepts. Mocks are cancelled. I imagine that those with little to no access to technology or even chat-box lessons will be in a worse situation and dumped with textbook work and zero contact or feedback for the next six-seven weeks. Come on- even university students usually get contact hours, so the whole 'independence' argument falls a little flat. Education has always had some form of teacher to talk to, discuss with and get feedback and guidance from, though admittedly, as you move to higher education, there's less of that - my point is that there still is something.

Hopefully we get fair exams in 2022 that take our messy, uneven (nationally and locally between schools) sixth form experience into consideration. I doubt the virus will continue into 2022 and we'll probably be past it by then.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have a sister in Y10 and the situation is really bad for them too. At least we got to start A-Levels from scratch but she’s still learning stuff they should have learned in Y9 and there are holes in their knowledge that she only noticed existed when she was revising for her own mocks. I feel bad for them. :frown: Hopefully six weeks won’t be too much of a loss and we can make up for this and sit our exams somehow.
(edited 3 years ago)
they shouldnt be cancelled we'll be sorted by then hopefully. stop being so lazy fgs
I’m in year 12 and I think we could be in for a longer lock down than 6 weeks because if you look back pretty much everything the government have said, they have then gone back on, I’m hoping exams for 2022 are cancelled but I can’t really see it happening unless this lockdown we’re in rn is longer than anticipated. And you’re right I am a lazy ******* I’ll just say that straight up I’m complete uninterested in all the subjects I was offered at all the colleges near me, I want to study Italian but nowhere offers it and now I’m stuck with geography Spanish and sport. Cba from the beginning tbh
Original post by Wilfc771
I’m in year 12 and I think we could be in for a longer lock down than 6 weeks because if you look back pretty much everything the government have said, they have then gone back on, I’m hoping exams for 2022 are cancelled but I can’t really see it happening unless this lockdown we’re in rn is longer than anticipated. And you’re right I am a lazy ******* I’ll just say that straight up I’m complete uninterested in all the subjects I was offered at all the colleges near me, I want to study Italian but nowhere offers it and now I’m stuck with geography Spanish and sport. Cba from the beginning tbh

I do geography and it’s so boring and hard. I cba to do anything cus I only chose it cus there wasn’t any other courses that Intrested me :/
Reply 25
It’s not being lazy, I have a really bad hearing loss and struggle not being able to lip read over online classes as teachers in my college don’t show their face even when asked. I’m struggling so much and been off half the year due to illness. I hope they are cancelled.
Why would our exams in 2022 be cancelled? We’ve just started A-Levels, so why are we already thinking about 2022, when we have just started 2021?
i'm just confused on how they'll mark our a levels considering that this year isn't doing them and last year didn't sit them?
Never.

Covid will be gone soon. (Or will it?)
Only if the vaccine fails (somehow) and if there is another peak of infections at start of next year (2022). Then cancellation could be considered. Other than that the government will just say do it.
Reply 30
Original post by Jimmerm78
Year 12 now🙂

i don't think they will be, altho you've lost a little time at school, we lost basiclly half a year worth of new content, it's a completely different scenario. if schools keep being closed this school year, then maybe, but with how things are going i doubt it. either way, good luck with everything!
Reply 31
After this second lockdown that has just been announced, its very likely as they are losing time also on they're GCSE coursework.
If you believe they should be cancelled sign the petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/567524/sponsors/new?token=nLfsgak1d44Xnd7PVVP4
You have like more than 1 year...
Original post by ehj5
i don't think they will be, altho you've lost a little time at school, we lost basiclly half a year worth of new content, it's a completely different scenario. if schools keep being closed this school year, then maybe, but with how things are going i doubt it. either way, good luck with everything!

Listen up ehj5 no you did not lose half a years worth of content, as all the year 10s and year 12s were ordered to go back to school from 1st of June you just lost 2.5 months worth. Some of the current year 12s would have lost the same amount of time as you, from the 1 and half month lockdown now and extra closures in local school outbreaks or self isolation last term.
I doubt it. Because then the current yr 12 cohort would have no accurate exam results. It could prevent them from getting jobs etc. in the long run
Original post by Buddingdentist08
I doubt it. Because then the current yr 12 cohort would have no accurate exam results. It could prevent them from getting jobs etc. in the long run

Very true
Current year 13 and Its not likely cancelling exams on the of basis lost teaching time from lockdown because last year we had online learning from mid Feb all the way till Ocotber (minus summer holidays), so had nearly 6 months from school and the only change we was given was the start of exam date was pushed back by 2 weeks (not even the end date), delayed results days and suggestion of topic lists which we never got to see so don't know how helpful they actually were going to be. Do feel for you guys if lockdown is as long, but given the vaccines it might not be. They might look at reintroducing coursework for future years, but doubt that would come into next year
Reply 38
Original post by TheAllKnowing AI
Listen up ehj5 no you did not lose half a years worth of content, as all the year 10s and year 12s were ordered to go back to school from 1st of June you just lost 2.5 months worth. Some of the current year 12s would have lost the same amount of time as you, from the 1 and half month lockdown now and extra closures in local school outbreaks or self isolation last term.

hey I'm sorry if I offended you in any way,. i meant half a years worth because I'm including the current lockdown, aswell as the fact that so many people and schools have had to isolate for one or two weeks because of the cases in school. also idk where you heard us having to go back on the 1st of june, after lockdown started in March, my school didn't open up till September and neither did any schools in my area which didn't even have many cases at the time. I'm aware that now yr 12s are also loosing time, but it rly isn't as much (altho still more than it should be).
Omg yes i am also in Year 10 and im praying that gcse 2022 is off. The reason i say this is NOT bc im lazy but bc i am worried that i’ve lost so much education (including the 2 lockdowns) . This does not apply to u guys but i have been working from home behind a screen since DECEMBER 5th so thats rlly affected me plus the first lockdown. Also its rlly not fair to those who have chosen subjects that require PHYSICAL demo’s ( idk maybe like PE?)

Latest

Trending

Trending