The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jesu
I see no reason for 2022 exams to be cancelled. This would be the epitome of patheticness if this was to happen.
Original post by SimSim0303
Honestly, I don't think it's fair for year 12s to do exams in 2022 as we're missing out so much content and it's not easy to learn from home at this level, however those who do want to do their exams should have the opportunity to do so. But don't force everyone to do exams, it's unfair. As for those who want to do exams, the government should give them the opportunity.

You being serious? You got GCSE’s handed to you and now you want the same for A-Levels?
Original post by 5hyl33n
You being serious? You got GCSE’s handed to you and now you want the same for A-Levels?

We didn't get them HANDED to us, they got cancelled pretty much last minute, meaning that we still studied for them. Also, it is unfair that we're missing out content then being assessed on that content. I'm not saying the teachers should give us all A's but rather that they should give us a fair grade based on what they think we would get if we had sat the exam.
We didn't get them HANDED to us, they got cancelled pretty much last minute, meaning that we still studied for them. Also, it is unfair that we're missing out content then being assessed on that content. I'm not saying the teachers should give us all A's but rather that they should give us a fair grade based on what they think we would get if we had sat the exam.

You should be given additional resources and perhaps an extension on when exams are done, but cancelled? I think that's a bit extreme. Year 1 content should be revised throughout Year 2 anyway.

I'm sure exam boards will come up with something to compensate for the loss of face to face learning this academic year but they can't cancel your exams completely as it makes the selection process at unis etc. even more inaccurate than it already is considering your GCSEs were CAGs.

Plus it's very unlikely to happen considering the vaccine rollouts
For me, what's more annoying is the difference in schooling-- some ppl are just getting work set on google classroom, and told to comlete sheets--one of my friends (we go to schools on opposite sides of England) chemistry lesson was to 'read pages 107-110 and make notes' whereas both my doubles today were proper, live lessons--we both go to state schools, adn i think it's completly unfair the difference in lesson.
I dont think they should be cancelled, but I do think more should be done to regulate lessons across the country
Original post by Rara345
For me, what's more annoying is the difference in schooling-- some ppl are just getting work set on google classroom, and told to comlete sheets--one of my friends (we go to schools on opposite sides of England) chemistry lesson was to 'read pages 107-110 and make notes' whereas both my doubles today were proper, live lessons--we both go to state schools, adn i think it's completly unfair the difference in lesson.
I dont think they should be cancelled, but I do think more should be done to regulate lessons across the country

Yes, I feel the same, except I feel they should just be cancelled. For me, my economics teacher set us notes and one task to complete for two lessons and then does a livestream to go through it for half an hour, whereas if we were in school, we would've spent longer on this topic and gone through it in more depth. So I am experiencing a mix of what you and your friend are going through. And it's really not fair, especially on students who are worse-off than others.
Reply 88
I'm in year 12 right now and I don't think exams should be cancelled. But there should be a way to make it fairer in comparison to the average, non-COVID-19, year. I'm saying this because of m almost certain that this lockdown will be longer than 2 months, at least until April in my eyes, so that would be 4 months of literally no physical school. Also, I've seen a lot of people on this thread use the vaccine excuse saying that this lockdown will only be as long as Boris said, however, it's important to note that the WHO recently said that they DO NOT recommend the UK approach on vaccination, so I feel like the Government will (and should tbh) make U-Turn on (however government minister rarely actually do the right thing so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't follow the advice from WHO). IF they follow this advice then it is certain that school will open in at least April because it will take much longer to vaccinate all vulnerable groups. Furthermore, If you live in London like me it's unlikely that schools will open in the capital on 22nd of February, the NHS is in such a crisis in London right now the fire brigade has had to step in to help because there aren't enough ambulances. If we looked at a normal year 4 months of education lost is insane and there has to be something done to make it fairer in comparison to other years (excluding the 2021 year, but those exams are cancelled anyway)

Yes, I feel the same, except I feel they should just be cancelled. For me, my economics teacher set us notes and one task to complete for two lessons and then does a livestream to go through it for half an hour, whereas if we were in school, we would've spent longer on this topic and gone through it in more depth. So I am experiencing a mix of what you and your friend are going through. And it's really not fair, especially on students who are worse-off than others.
(edited 3 years ago)
I feel like they'll probably do something similar to what was meant to happen this year - you've got so much time to catch up
Original post by 5hyl33n

This^^^^
Honestly, I don't think it's fair for year 12s to do exams in 2022 as we're missing out so much content and it's not easy to learn from home at this level, however those who do want to do their exams should have the opportunity to do so. But don't force everyone to do exams, it's unfair. As for those who want to do exams, the government should give them the opportunity.

Also don't think is fair to potentially have the 2022 A-level cohort be under-prepared for uni or be discriminated by employers (and employers are unfortunately right) because they sat no GCSEs and A-levels.
Original post by Imane888
Also don't think is fair to potentially have the 2022 A-level cohort be under-prepared for uni or be discriminated by employers (and employers are unfortunately right) because they sat no GCSEs and A-levels.

I don't think we're not going to be discriminated against by any employer as future employers are told to look at these exam results as they would with normal exam results.
I don't think we're not going to be discriminated against by any employer as future employers are told to look at these exam results as they would with normal exam results.

You seriously think that all employers and universities are going to take your results as seriously as people who have actually had to sit exams in order to achieve their grades? You've sat no GCSEs so you need to sit your A-levels at all costs along with the 2023 A-level cohort. Teacher predicted grades have been proven to be inaccurate, cheating in mocks is easy etc. The Y12s need to be a top priority for this exact reason (so that they are prepared to sit regular A-level Exams).
Reply 94

Alot of people are also forgetting the pandemic isn't over there's still the possibility that this goes on for a long time so once again I'm not saying cancel exams but there should be a contingency plan in place, tbh I would even support more exams in the form of some sort of weird AS exam at the start of the next academic year (I know that unpopular and I totally understand why)
Original post by SSSHUSH
Alot of people are also forgetting the pandemic isn't over there's still the possibility that this goes on for a long time so once again I'm not saying cancel exams but there should be a contingency plan in place, tbh I would even support more exams in the form of some sort of weird AS exam at the start of the next academic year (I know that unpopular and I totally understand why)

Yeah sad that Y10 and Y12 are being ignored once again.
Reply 96
If we don’t go back to school in February then potentially
Original post by Nomzz
If we don’t go back to school in February then potentially

Nope, never.

Not in a million years. I highly doubt exams for 2022 will be scrapped, I have no idea why it’s even a debate.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Nope, never.

Not in a million years. I highly doubt exams for 2022 will be scrapped, I have no idea why it’s even a debate.

Yeah I can see why it's a debate but cancelling the 2022 A-level exams would be a joke.
Reply 99
I think an alright idea would be if we don't go back to school in February and it's extended for a long time then for GCSEs they should just make kids do English maths and science tbh the other subjects are so irrelevant those are the important ones if you're good at them you'll do well in any a level. For A level students its a bit harder, however maybe they could reintroduce coursework in year 13 but that's difficult. people have this all or nothing mindset like there can be an in-between. Like I said this is only if lockdown is like 4+ months long, exams are in general quite a fair way to assess an individual.

Latest

Trending

Trending