Kay.Mah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Could I become a primary school teacher with a BA hons degree in working with families and young people degree? I don’t want to become a assistant teacher.
Emily_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kay.Mah)
Could I become a primary school teacher with a BA hons degree in working with families and young people degree? I don’t want to become a assistant teacher.
Yes, as long as you do the relevant PGCE afterwards.
bluebeetle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be a teacher, you will need QTS (with some exceptions).

If you already have your degree, the best way to gain QTS will be to sign up for a post-graduate teacher training course. There are several different postgraduate routes to QTS, you can check out the Get Into Teaching website for more information. Most routes will take a year.

If you haven't yet started your undergraduate degree, then you should be aware that there are undergraduate routes into primary teaching. Look for teaching degrees that include QTS. These offer less career flexibility if you change your mind about teaching, but might make more sense financially, as you won't need to be studying (and therefore taking student loans) for as long.
Kay.Mah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
Yes, as long as you do the relevant PGCE afterwards.
I’m also worried because I don’t have my science GCSE
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As far as I'm aware, Maths/English/Science GCSEs are requirements for teaching at primary level - make sure to look into this and get the GCSE if you need to.
yhuss98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Look at Equivalency Test (they’re just as rigorous as the GCSE)
And you need a science at 4/C
Kay.Mah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
As far as I'm aware, Maths/English/Science GCSEs are requirements for teaching at primary level - make sure to look into this and get the GCSE if you need to.
what if your at uni but don’t have that science gcse
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
what if your at uni but don’t have that science gcse
You still need to prove that basic level of knowledge of GCSE science. If it means going back to college to do the GCSE or level 2 equivalent, fine.
On a similar note, when applying for my nursing degree, my 3 A levels and previous degree didn't stop any university asking for proof I had GCSE maths & English before offering me a place.
Kay.Mah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (61)
21.11%
No (228)
78.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed