?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Last edited by skahjs; 2 months ago
Dylxn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m a Year 13 student doing A level English Literature, Film Studies and Psychology. I have no knowledge of economics but I do have some advice.

Stop worrying about the grades you got at GCSE, they mean nothing now. Sure, they got you a place in college, but imagine this as a clean slate. Don’t let your GCSE grades define your choice because, whilst impressive, they will genuinely have no influence over your ability now.

Countless friends of mine were achieving 8’s and 9’s at GCSE but are now getting consistent D’s and E’s. On the flip side, I was getting consistent 5’s and 6’s at GCSE and am now achieving consecutive A’s at A level. My point in all of this is that this is a CLEAN SLATE. Your work ethic will define your grades now, not your past achievements. You can’t show up on the day and ace the exam anymore, you have to consistently work for it.

So, what SHOULD you allow to influence your decision?

Your INTERESTS.

Only choose an A level based on your interests, with the consideration of your future in mind. Do you have a career path in your head? Do you want to go to university after? If you do have a specific plan, choose the A level most relevant to that. If not, go with your ambitions.

Trust me in this.

You will do well at what you enjoy. I’d never done film studies or any film-related subject before in my life before college but something in my mind told me I’d enjoy it. I was terrified to take the risk and go with film but I did it and quickly soared to the top of the class. This is for one reason only - I genuinely love the subject!

English Literature sounds like a great combination with History and Sociology but are you prepared to do THREE essay-based subjects? It depends on you as a person. If you think you’ll enjoy economics (or it will be useful to your future) but are afraid it will differ too much from your other two subjects, do economics.

Good luck to you! Congrats on your GCSE’s, those are some excellent grades to be proud of, but make sure you’re going to be able to focus (for long periods of time) on whichever A levels you choose.
skahjs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Dylxn)
I’m a Year 13 student doing A level English Literature, Film Studies and Psychology. I have no knowledge of economics but I do have some advice.

Stop worrying about the grades you got at GCSE, they mean nothing now. Sure, they got you a place in college, but imagine this as a clean slate. Don’t let your GCSE grades define your choice because, whilst impressive, they will genuinely have no influence over your ability now.

Countless friends of mine were achieving 8’s and 9’s at GCSE but are now getting consistent D’s and E’s. On the flip side, I was getting consistent 5’s and 6’s at GCSE and am now achieving consecutive A’s at A level. My point in all of this is that this is a CLEAN SLATE. Your work ethic will define your grades now, not your past achievements. You can’t show up on the day and ace the exam anymore, you have to consistently work for it.

So, what SHOULD you allow to influence your decision?

Your INTERESTS.

Only choose an A level based on your interests, with the consideration of your future in mind. Do you have a career path in your head? Do you want to go to university after? If you do have a specific plan, choose the A level most relevant to that. If not, go with your ambitions.

Trust me in this.

You will do well at what you enjoy. I’d never done film studies or any film-related subject before in my life before college but something in my mind told me I’d enjoy it. I was terrified to take the risk and go with film but I did it and quickly soared to the top of the class. This is for one reason only - I genuinely love the subject!

English Literature sounds like a great combination with History and Sociology but are you prepared to do THREE essay-based subjects? It depends on you as a person. If you think you’ll enjoy economics (or it will be useful to your future) but are afraid it will differ too much from your other two subjects, do economics.

Good luck to you! Congrats on your GCSE’s, those are some excellent grades to be proud of, but make sure you’re going to be able to focus (for long periods of time) on whichever A levels you choose.
Thank you for this detailed reply It really helps
Dylxn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by skahjs)
Thank you for this detailed reply It really helps
No problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (591)
34.02%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads