Is it Immoral for NHS Doctors and Surgeons to Move to America For More Money?

Watch
Hazadd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Lets imagine a 32 year old neurosurgeon decides he has had enough of the horrendous pay conpensation from the NHS and wants to relocate to america just for more money, is he looked down upon as there is already a shortage of doctors?
Waj-L
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Hazadd)
Lets imagine a 32 year old neurosurgeon decides he has had enough of the horrendous pay conpensation from the NHS and wants to relocate to america just for more money, is he looked down upon as there is already a shortage of doctors?
At the end of the day it’s still a job.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Anybody looking down on him needs to mind their own business. It isn't that specific doctor's fault that there is a doctor shortage in this country. Also, being a doctor is a job and just like in any other job, career and life plans and changes are allowed to happen.
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The only thing immoral here is your lack of brain cells for asking such a stupid question.

People have the right to move, if they decide to.
barnybe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No, at the end of the day, it's his life. He's the one who's had to hustle and grind to reach the position that he has, nothing wrong with wanting to get paid more.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
This was actually raised as a topic a few years ago, and there was a policy to "force" doctors to stay and train for 4 years post-grad.

This plan has now been indefinitely shelved.

P.S. (1) 4 years is not enough time to train to be a neurosurgeon
(2) you can't be a consultant neurosurgeon aged 32 and
(3) US treats international medical graduates very poorly - you wouldn't be able to work in a competitive specialty or location there any way (including neurosurgery).
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
no more immoral than an engineer or a scientist or any other person choosing to do the same
Last edited by black tea; 4 months ago
Hazadd
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
This was actually raised as a topic a few years ago, and there was a policy to "force" doctors to stay and train for 4 years post-grad.

(3) US treats international medical graduates very poorly - you wouldn't be able to work in a competitive specialty or location there any way (including neurosurgery).
So your saying a neurosurgeon wouldn't be able to find a job in neuro surgery regardless of how good he is?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So your saying a neurosurgeon wouldn't be able to find a job in neuro surgery regardless of how good he is?
A non-US trained doctor wanting to work in the US? Most likely.

Exclusions are: if you're a world-leading expert etc.
Hazadd
Rep:
?
In the US? Yes.
well that sounds a bit ludicrous, I thought in medicine that it didn't matter where you studied as its not like american people are built differently to british people ?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It's immoral to expect anyone intelligent to put up with any of this toy town s**t.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
well that sounds a bit ludicrous, I thought in medicine that it didn't matter where you studied as its not like american people are built differently to british people ?
It's their country, their rules.

If you wanted to work in the US, study and train in the US.

It doesn't matter how high your USMLE scores are, if there's even one locally-trained doctor in any competition - they'd get priority.
username5397146
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
same way teachers, teach english abroad. its not selfish you're looking out for yourself.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Have you ever genuinely thought UK docs and foreign ones were treated the same?
Hazadd
Rep:
?

A non-US trained doctor wanting to work in the US? Most likely.

Exclusions are: if you're a world-leading expert etc.
sorry to spam with questions but your basically saying that its very hard to get a work visa in america and also as hard to get the same job you had in england?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Actually, here in the UK they are treated the same (for specialty training competition).

Previously there were some restriction for non UK citizens and they can only apply in Round 2 but that's now been scrapped.

With the introduction of UKMLA in 2024 / 2025 things will be even more equal between UK and international medical grads (to the UK) - because they'd both have to take the same test, as oppposed to currently no test except finals for UK grads + PLAB for international grads.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
Hazadd
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
well I know that england is a developed country so why would they be treated less?
999tigger
Report 4 months ago
Do you think he deserves applauding or a medal?
What is the horrendous pay?

Why dont we ask ecolier as medical representative of the sub forum?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Actually, here in the UK they are treated the same (for specialty training competition).

Previously there were some restriction for non UK citizens and they can only apply in Round 2 but that's now been scrapped.

With the introduction of UKMLA in 2024 / 2025 things will be even more equal between UK and international medical grads (to the UK) - because they'd both have to take the same test, as oppposed to currently no test except finals for UK grads + PLAB for international grads.
well I know that england is a developed country so why would they be treated less?
I'm not from a med background, but I meant the racism and a general hatred of foreigners.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads