What does making the NHS free mean for healthcare workers?

Watch
afng156
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Saw this trending on twitter and I am genuinely interested in knowing an answer/getting a response for the above question.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The question doesn't make sense, the NHS is free at point of service.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It means they are paid in claps that's why there was extra during the outbreak of the virus.
afng156
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
It means they are paid in claps that's why there was extra during the outbreak of the virus.
oh yes, that annoys me. if the government wants to reward the NHS staff, money is probably the best way if I'm being realistic. clapping is good to show appreciation but NHS staff can't live off claps.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by afng156)
oh yes, that annoys me. if the government wants to reward the NHS staff, money is probably the best way if I'm being realistic. clapping is good to show appreciation but NHS staff can't live off claps.
Let's not forget nurses and doctors settled a payrise agreement in the last few years. Nursing is what it is. It has never been particularly well paid compared to mundane pen pushing, blotter jotter jobs but it isn't like nurses go in blind and then suddenly discover the pay is below expectation.

My wife has just started nurse training. She thinks the starting salary is reasonable especially when you add on 7 weeks of annual leave and an average earnings pension.
thuv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Exactly, the clap system went too far. It was eventually used for the wrong reasons to maker a political stance.
Dancer2001
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you mean free for healthcare workers that are not British?
At the moment, people from other countries here on work visas have to pay an extra charge to use the NHS. It’s only like £400 per person a year or something, but that quickly adds up for families that are in low paid jobs.
Making the NHS free would mean that healthcare workers can use the NHS without paying the surcharge regardless of their immigration status. It became a topic of debate because a lot of ethnic minority hospital staff were getting coronavirus but it wasn’t really free for them to get treatment (still kind of free at the point of use though).
Is the issue you meant?
Last edited by Dancer2001; 2 weeks ago
AW_1983
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Saw this trending on twitter and I am genuinely interested in knowing an answer/getting a response for the above question.
The NHS isn't free. It is 99% funded by taxation and just over 20% of the taxes you pay per year will be spent on the NHS. For me I pay a little more than a decent private health insurance option would cost but personally I'm happy to pay it because:

1) I paid similar taxes in Australia but was expected to buy health insurance on top of that (I expect our government would piss the money up a wall before it gave us a rebate if it reduced or shut down the NHS); and
2) It's a lot easier using a free at the point of use service rather than sitting in a hospital worrying whether you have the right insurance (as I did in the Channel Islands once).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads