Want more information about this university?

Going to UoB in 2 weeks but the stabbing incident has made me very scared...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I love the university and my course but I am seriously so worried about my safety, especially after today's news about the stabbing incident. Advice on how to mentally cope? (I know I shouldn't go out alone at night, be extra careful etc. but I'm looking for mental tips)
Telomere
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can happen anywhere. Be aware of your surroundings and that's the most you can do. Maybe google managing anxiety.
Thecrazydoughnut
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I love the university and my course but I am seriously so worried about my safety, especially after today's news about the stabbing incident. Advice on how to mentally cope? (I know I shouldn't go out alone at night, be extra careful etc. but I'm looking for mental tips)
I know it’s easier said than done, but don’t try to dwell upon it so much. Always keep a torch(mini) one on you in case you do have to go out in the night.

Keep your phone hidden and out of sight and always be wary of your surroundings.

Take care.
username5397146
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was at 12am. If your not hanging with the wrong crowd or late at night you're fine.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
I know it’s easier said than done, but don’t try to dwell upon it so much. Always keep a torch(mini) one on you in case you do have to go out in the night.

Keep your phone hidden and out of sight and always be wary of your surroundings.

Take care.
Thank you for this 🙏 I know it sounds stupid, but I always get told to be aware of y surroundings but HOW? like if I realise that someone is following me, what do i do? Run?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What stabbing? Was it against a university student?
username5397146
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
What stabbing? Was it against a university student?
Random stabbing in town i think. Not linked to uob. 1 dead. 4-5 injured.
username5397146
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for this 🙏 I know it sounds stupid, but I always get told to be aware of y surroundings but HOW? like if I realise that someone is following me, what do i do? Run?
Thats were fitness and martial arts comes into hand.
Avoid any dodgy interactions.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I am from Birmingham and can tell you the areas students go clubbing and drinking on nights out are generally safe and okay as long as you are not by yourself, as the user above said you could try martial arts/self defence for extra protection
Anonymous #1
I am from Birmingham and can tell you the areas students go clubbing and drinking on nights out are generally safe and okay as long as you are not by yourself, as the user above said you could try martial arts/self defence for extra protection
Thank you for both your advice! I have actually been wanting to do kung fu or wing chun for a while...but lowkey scared that I'd be the only beginner there haha plus I'm rly fat and ugly so I'm also worried that people will laugh at me........
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for both your advice! I have actually been wanting to do kung fu or wing chun for a while...but lowkey scared that I'd be the only beginner there haha plus I'm rly fat and ugly so I'm also worried that people will laugh at me........
Don't say that about yourself, everyone is beautiful in their own ways! Everyone will be there for the same reasons and there will be a variety of people who've never done it before up to experts so don't worry you won't be the only one in your position - if anything others will be glad too they aren't alone!
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You have got to be kidding, the guy was a random loon.
It had no motive.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Brum is a huge city with more than a million people.
Law of large numbers with things like this.

If you are sensible, i.e. dont walk in unlit parts of the city at night, dont walk home drunk alone, always lock your door, tell people if you go out at odd times, if you are lost and its getting late call an uber.

You will most likely be fine. These things can realistically happen anywhere but you hear more of it with such a large population.

But being sensible is the easiest way to keep your nose clean whether you are in Birmingham or Exeter.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you normally fear leaving your home?
sambread
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im at Uob.wouldnt worry about it at all, tho if there is a place to watch out it would that nightclub the locals go to, its called snobs that area around is quite dodgy
Anonymous #1
(Original post by paul514)
You have got to be kidding, the guy was a random loon.
It had no motive.
that's even why I'm more worried because it's random, a higher chance that the next person will be me
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sambread)
Im at Uob.wouldnt worry about it at all, tho if there is a place to watch out it would that nightclub the locals go to, its called snobs that area around is quite dodgy
thank you for letting me know! I don't like going out or clubbing so I guess it's good for me
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that's even why I'm more worried because it's random, a higher chance that the next person will be me
Well randoms are scary because it doesn’t have reason granted.
However randoms are also exceedingly rare.
UoB - Arts and Law
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
I'm currently living in Selly Oak where the suspect lived too. If you will live in the student halls, they are veeeery safe! Security guards usually have a walk in the evenings, the reception in the Vale is very close to every accommodation type, you can call them from the corridor's phone and email too. If you plan to live in Selly next year, I recommend you to find and follow two Facebook groups:

Fab N Fresh - New
Selly Oak B29 Community

Also, visit websites and look for the future self-defense events at the Guild:

https://www.guildofstudents.com/supp...entors/safety/

https://www.guildofstudents.com/ents/event/4168/

When you plan to rent, check the crime rates here :

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/crime/b296tf

Hope that's helpful!
Stay safe,

-Karolina, UoB
OddOnes
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
UoB is not near where that incident took place. I've never felt unsafe on campus. Where that incident occurred is a popular nightlife location, but they've got the perpetrator now. He's not out and about to do it again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads