Harper Adams Single Parent Student

Watch
Kbru
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey
Just wondering if anyone knows of any single parents who have gone through uni?
I'm a single mother hoping to start in ag or env. management in 2021. My daughter will be starting at primary school next year too. Does anyone have any information that could help me out re. local schools, housing, childcare and social opportunities, as well as how to survive uni with a little kid?

Thanks in advance!
JulieJ35
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I completed my degree at Harper this year as a single parent. However, I did commute rather than live near campus. What I will say is that the university was very good at helping out with any issues, and I’m sure that they’d point you in the right direction when it comes to housing, childcare etc. Give them a ring. The last 4 years has been a hard slog, but if you get a good degree from Harper, it’s worth more than other universities offering the same courses. They work you hard but you do learn more. I know this from my experience at another university. The university is set in beautiful Shropshire, Harper is a small and friendly place. As a student 20 years older than my peers, I had no problems fitting in and have gained some great friends who I continue to meet socially.Good luck with your quest, if you decide to take the plunge, you won’t regret it.
Kbru
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by JulieJ35)
Hi, I completed my degree at Harper this year as a single parent. However, I did commute rather than live near campus. What I will say is that the university was very good at helping out with any issues, and I’m sure that they’d point you in the right direction when it comes to housing, childcare etc. Give them a ring. The last 4 years has been a hard slog, but if you get a good degree from Harper, it’s worth more than other universities offering the same courses. They work you hard but you do learn more. I know this from my experience at another university. The university is set in beautiful Shropshire, Harper is a small and friendly place. As a student 20 years older than my peers, I had no problems fitting in and have gained some great friends who I continue to meet socially.Good luck with your quest, if you decide to take the plunge, you won’t regret it.
Thank you so much for responding!
That's very encouraging .. I'm really hoping to get going with everything I need to do as soon as I can.
Is there anyone in particular you'd recommend getting a hold of?
😁
JulieJ35
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’re welcome! You could ring Rebecca Hayhurst (Student Services) on 01952 815222. You can’t go wrong, going there, the support is great and they’ll do whatever they can to help you succeed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.06%
I'm not sure (59)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (648)
49.24%

Watched Threads