Anyone else can't fall asleep on planes and trains?!

Watch
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I once went on a 17 hour flight and I couldn't fall asleep at all. How do people manage to sleep on planes or trains? It doesn't matter how exhausted I am if seems that I can't fall asleep sitting up.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
I once went on a 17 hour flight and I couldn't fall asleep at all. How do people manage to sleep on planes or trains? It doesn't matter how exhausted I am if seems that I can't fall asleep sitting up.
trains I can but I'm a horrendous anxious flyer so can't do it.
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't, purely because I want to enjoy my flight and what it has to offer.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
trains I can but I'm a horrendous anxious flyer so can't do it.
As a fellow anxious flier i have noticed that if I am on a very long flight, after being on it for a while where i start getting very tired the fear becomes less. While on short flights the anxiety remains for the entire flight. I find myself looking at the stewardesses faces to see if they look worried otherwise i assume everything is OK
PeachyMilk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
my travel anxiety wears me out to the point where I just blackout and sleep, or after a while of popping in travel sickness pills I just drift off
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As a fellow anxious flier i have noticed that if I am on a very long flight, after being on it for a while where i start getting very tired the fear becomes less. While on short flights the anxiety remains for the entire flight. I find myself looking at the stewardesses faces to see if they look worried otherwise i assume everything is OK
the longest flight I've ever done is 3.5 hours and I stayed sat down in my seat with the belt on the whole time, the staff are trained to keep a straight face on and despite speaking to my father in law who works on planes it hasn't really helped me get any less anxious.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
the longest flight I've ever done is 3.5 hours and I stayed sat down in my seat with the belt on the whole time, the staff are trained to keep a straight face on and despite speaking to my father in law who works on planes it hasn't really helped me get any less anxious.
I try to remind myself that if flying was so dangerous people wouldn't work as stewardesses. It comforts me a bit. 3.5 hours isn't too long a flight.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I wouldn't be able to fall asleep on a train unless I was really tired and was with someone else who I trusted to make sure 1. no one stole anything from me and 2. I didn't miss my stop I've slept on planes before but not normally shorter flights as I'm usually really excited on the way, sometimes I sleep on the way back. I slept part way to New York because I was up so early and had barely slept the night before. I've not been on a plane alone before, but again I'm not sure if I would be able to sleep if I wasn't with someone I knew because clearly I have trust issues with strangers, thinking they'll steal something :lol:
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I try not to sleep on trains because for some reason i get the worst hypnagogic hallucinations on them. I never end up actually being asleep i just have a weird auditory or visual experience as im falling asleep then i 'wake up'.
Probably for the best since i would likely miss my stop
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can fall sleep on trains busses and planes if i'm tired enough.

I hate when people fall asleep on me on the bus though , I usually shake my shoulder to wake them up and give them a jolt.

although there was this weird situation on a packed night bus and a girl sat next to me and her boyfriend sat a few spaces behind and the girl fell asleep on my shoulder ...and as she was attractive i just left it there. If it were a dude falling asleep on me i would have shook him off. the bf i don't think noticed lol as he looked to be asleep too
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
although there was this weird situation on a packed night bus and a girl sat next to me and her boyfriend sat a few spaces behind and the girl fell asleep on my shoulder ...and as she was attractive i just left it there. If it were a dude falling asleep on me i would have shook him off. the bf i don't think noticed lol as he looked to be asleep too
Living life on the edge 😂 A bit weird though. If I were that girl and woke up to someone allowing me to sleep on them who wasn’t my boyfriend or a friend, I’d be quite freaked out
Last edited by CTLeafez; 4 months ago
fish finger fan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I've never flown anywhere so don't know about that, but I can't sleep on a train or in the car. Would much rather enjoy the scenery instead.
Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can fall sleep on trains busses and planes if i'm tired enough.

I hate when people fall asleep on me on the bus though , I usually shake my shoulder to wake them up and give them a jolt.

Wow man , nice, lucky you indeed !
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Living life on the edge 😂 A bit weird though. If I were that girl and woke up to someone allowing me to sleep on them who wasn’t my boyfriend or a friend, I’d be quite freaked out
(Original post by Anonymous370)
Wow man , nice, lucky you indeed !
tbh I think I fell asleep at parts too

very strange situation haha

She must of been sleeping on me for like 15 mins+ ...and the bf is like 2 seats behind asleep himself lmao
Suave Lad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Impossible. Sleeping on a plane for me is mission impossible. No matter how tired I am. I just can't.

I need a bed.:sleep:

That's why I rarely travel abroad, because I hate air planes, airports and air hostesses!
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
yep. not even on benzos. i'm always 'on guard' in public places
Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
tbh I think I fell asleep at parts too

very strange situation haha

She must of been sleeping on me for like 15 mins+ ...and the bf is like 2 seats behind asleep himself lmao
Lol, how late was it ? Sounds very late then.

Must've been a very nice experience for sure, especially as she was attractive as you said ! Any chance you think she did it on purpose to get close to you as she liked you ? Lol.

Maybe I should start using night buses more I guess (after Covid ofc, not now due to the unfortunate social distancing and all), but for me, I tend not to still bcos not only I'm an early bird rather than a night owl, but also I just prefer trains over buses - e.g. once I was in a bus in a narrow street, and there was a garbage truck in front of me moving so slowly, so it took forever for me , you don't have to deal with this type of stuff in trains like Jubilee Line ever, and plus they're faster and louder (great way to wake up lol )...
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can't sleep sitting, especially without any significant recline. A major issue for me, is the noise, which is worse if your head touches the side / window. I typically fly business class, but even with a fully-flat bed, I don't count on anything more than a couple of hours of real sleep. Jet-lag can still be quite nasty though.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I try to remind myself that if flying was so dangerous people wouldn't work as stewardesses. It comforts me a bit. 3.5 hours isn't too long a flight.
People do many dangerous jobs but if that helps you then that's good.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Same, I'm a light sleeper and I can hardly ever have naps either. Only at night in bed can I really sleep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (286)
55.97%
I don't have everything I need (225)
44.03%

Watched Threads