esmewesmey
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm in yr 13 and doing my coursework for history. I'm about to start my first draft but I'm struggling since I don't know if my planned format is that strong or whether it's the best way to do it. My question is 'Within the context of the years 1865-1984, how important was Martin Luther King in the pursuit of black civil rights in America? '. I would be extremely helpful if someone knows a good format? (btw I'm also doing a thematic approach.
xx-creampuff-xx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by esmewesmey)
Hi, I'm in yr 13 and doing my coursework for history. I'm about to start my first draft but I'm struggling since I don't know if my planned format is that strong or whether it's the best way to do it. My question is 'Within the context of the years 1865-1984, how important was Martin Luther King in the pursuit of black civil rights in America? '. I would be extremely helpful if someone knows a good format? (btw I'm also doing a thematic approach.
I did exactly the same question for my coursework last year , except from 1865-1965. I did AQA so i needed 2 historians interpretations and 3 primary sources, im going to assume youre doing the same but if not my answer should still be helpful. I obviously started with an introduction, you need to outline any terms in the question or any major themes you will be dealing with during the essay, for example explain what you mean by civil rights. I then had a section arguing for the question, that king was significant and used one of my primary sources and an interpretation to back this up, i then did the same arguing that grass roots organisations like the NAACP were more significant, i then had a smaller section about government legislation, i used the new deal as an example, were significant, used my final primary source to back this up, and explained how organisations influenced legislation like this. I then tied it together in my conclusion by stating that i thought that whilst king was significant, his influence is not as big as it is made out to be, he was a figurehead and built off of the work of other activists and organisations. I would recommend including the SCLC and montgomery bus boycotts in your essay as these are easy to find sources on and are easy to tie into the essay. If youre doing AQA like i did you also need to make sure that your essay focuses on the entire period, so compare his work to that of earlier activists and show how it caused change. I hope this helps and good luck.
ellien03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya,

Is anyone doing ALevel History who are doing the civil rights movement for their coursework? If so has anyone found some good interpretations I could use? I am finding it really hard to find good interpretations for my 3 main ones. Thank you
esmewesmey
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by xx-creampuff-xx)
I did exactly the same question for my coursework last year , except from 1865-1965. I did AQA so i needed 2 hisorians interpretations and 3 primary sources, im going to assume youre doing the same but if not my answer should still be helpful. I obviously started with an introduction, you need to outline any terms in the question or any major themes you will be dealing with during the essay, for example explain what you mean by civil rights. I then had a section arguing for the question, that king was significant and used one of my primary sources and an interpretation to back this up, i then did the same arguing that grass roots organisations like the NAACP were more significant, i then had a smaller section about government legislation, i used the new deal as an example, were significant, used my final primary source to back this up, and explained how organisations influenced legislation like this. I then tied it together in my conclusion by stating that i thought that whilst king was significant, his influence is not as big as it is made out to be, he was a figurehead and built off of the work of other activists and organisations. I would recommend including the SCLC and montgomery bus boycotts in your essay as these are easy to find sources on and are easy to tie into the essay. If youre doing AQA like i did you also need to make sure that your essay focuses on the entire period, so compare his work to that of earlier activists and show how it caused change. I hope this helps and good luck.
LEGEND thank u this has helped a lot!
ahmed352
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
do u mind me reading your finished product? you seem to know what youre talking about and i am struggling with the structural understanding of the whole thing.💪🏾
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
18.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (18)
13.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.05%

Watched Threads