The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Official University of Glasgow 2021 applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tweety1012
I'm applying for law but I'll be starting off at 16 too!

omg hiiiii!! it’s so nice to know that I’m not going to be the only 16 year old at uni ahaha I was kinda nervous...
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by izzxm
Yeah i’m still kind of confused with the course, are you supposed to study 3 subjects in first year or 2? - aha i guess i’ll have to find out at one point. I’m definitely doing maths and either philosophy, economics, statistics!

I really hope there are other students from around here so i don’t feel like a complete outsider😂 I’ve received acknowledgments from all my options except from Glasgow - i would like to say i’m being patient but i’m really not😂 - i just want to know if i got in or not! Yes hopefully there will be some scholarships available - i only found that they had a bursary for undergrad students who are planning to study at Glasgow/Strathclyde for postgrad, i was hoping that it would make living away from home a lot easier financially.

I think you study 3 subjects in first year and second! But you change one of the 3. :smile: So like Philo, Econ and Stat in year 1, then Maths, Philo and Econ in year 2, then you drop 2 or 3 subjects in your 3rd year to focus on your final 1 or 2 choices. Hope that helps!

I'm v impatient with waiting, although it's stilll October. xD I've had acknowledgments from Oxford, Newcastle and KCL, but still waiting on Glas and Manchester. :< The financial support does seem pretty good! The RUK bursary offers 1k every year if you get AAA alevels, so fingers crossed. :smile: Glasgow and SL isn't really 'pop back for a weekend' location :') But I'm sure it'll be fine, sounds really nice :L Hard choosing between Edinburgh though
Original post by anisha211
omg hiiiii!! it’s so nice to know that I’m not going to be the only 16 year old at uni ahaha I was kinda nervous...

Don't worry, I've been super nervous about it too aha
Recieved an acknowledgement! Did other English students have to upload additional docs / passport evidence?
Original post by Venusplants
Recieved an acknowledgement! Did other English students have to upload additional docs / passport evidence?

I got an acknowledgment too! I don’t have to upload anything else but they did say that i will have to wait until January 15th deadline until i find out if i get an offer
Original post by izzxm
I got an acknowledgment too! I don’t have to upload anything else but they did say that i will have to wait until January 15th deadline until i find out if i get an offer

Oh! They told me they'd let me know as soon as whenever, maybe it's because we have different subjects.
Reply 66
Has anyone got an offer yet? I got unconditional for Edinburgh this morning but I'm not sure if it will be a lot longer to hear from Glasgow!
Original post by evek3927
Has anyone got an offer yet? I got unconditional for Edinburgh this morning but I'm not sure if it will be a lot longer to hear from Glasgow!

Congratulations for the unconditional!!! If u don’t mind what we’re your predicted grades and what course did u apply for?
Reply 68
Original post by anisha211
Congratulations for the unconditional!!! If u don’t mind what we’re your predicted grades and what course did u apply for?

thank you:smile: I applied for mathematical physics and I was predicted A1s in Advanced higher maths, mathematical mechanics, stats and physics. I got 5 As for higher last year
Original post by evek3927
thank you:smile: I applied for mathematical physics and I was predicted A1s in Advanced higher maths, mathematical mechanics, stats and physics. I got 5 As for higher last year

Dammmnnnnn! I've never heard of a Scottish applicant getting an offer from Glasgow so quickly! I think I've seen you on the Cambridge thread too haha
Well done :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by scottishnerd
Dammmnnnnn! I've never heard of a Scottish applicant getting an offer from Edinburgh so quickly! I think I've seen you on the Cambridge thread too haha
Well done :smile:

thanks! yeah I've applied to cambridge too but not expecting much... 😂
The flexible course thing really confused me at first but it seems such a good idea, so many options! (Considering maybe English or Philosophy?)

Glasgow also sounds really friendly apparently. :smile: (I hope there's a bunch of other London/England students so it's not just me lost in Scotland. 😂) Also Izzy but just Iz!
Have you heard back from Glasgow at all? I haven't even got an acknowledgement yet and UCAS got my application on the 8th. Also hoping they get some more scholarships, they had one for Afro-Caribbean students last year but they seem to have dropped it.

hi! I'm also from london, just wanted to put that out there :smile: (but... north?)
Original post by notahufflepuff
hi! I'm also from london, just wanted to put that out there :smile: (but... north?)

(Sksks enemy!) Hii, what course are you applying for? :smile:
(Am totally a hufflepuff btw)
(Sksks enemy!) Hii, what course are you applying for? :smile:
(Am totally a hufflepuff btw)

(north ftw!)
I'm applying for Classics/Mathematics (maybe taking archaeology in first year or somein because flexible course and all that?)
(its okay if you are lmao, I just keep getting called a hufflepuff and this username stuck)
Original post by notahufflepuff
(north ftw!)
I'm applying for Classics/Mathematics (maybe taking archaeology in first year or somein because flexible course and all that?)
(its okay if you are lmao, I just keep getting called a hufflepuff and this username stuck)

Oh cool! Classics and mathematics seem so different, interesting combo! 😄 I'm kinda stuck on the third option but am leaning towards philosophy or English lit. Do you know if we need certain grades to qualify for the third option?
Also as a fellow Londoner, have you ever visited Glasgow? I couldn't make the open day (covid) so it'll be an interesting experience if I get in. 😅

I've got my acknowledgement. I'm from England and Glasgow haven't asked for extra docs but Edinburgh had an extra survey for me! Hope that helps
Original post by jamierobb1
I've got my acknowledgement. I'm from England and Glasgow haven't asked for extra docs but Edinburgh had an extra survey for me! Hope that helps

Thanks for letting me know :smile:
Reply 78
Looking for clarification on the flexible degree thing. Say I'm applying for English, will I study English +2 other subjects in my first two years or will I do three random subjects and not start studying English until Yr3/4?
Does anyone know what the additional supporting document is when you log into your self service? It says it doesn’t affect anything to do with an offer but doesn’t say what you have to upload!

Quick Reply

Latest