The Student Room Group

Valid reason to ask for room change?

After the A Level fiasco, I didn't originally get into my firm uni. This has since changed but unfortunately this has now meant that I have ended up in off campus accommodation. I am diagnosed with a rare form of epilepsy and would feel more comfortable living in halls that were on campus in case I needed help.

Do you think this is a valid reason to ask for a room change.
Original post by Anonymous
After the A Level fiasco, I didn't originally get into my firm uni. This has since changed but unfortunately this has now meant that I have ended up in off campus accommodation. I am diagnosed with a rare form of epilepsy and would feel more comfortable living in halls that were on campus in case I needed help.

Do you think this is a valid reason to ask for a room change.

Hiya!

I would contact your accommodation team at your university as soon as possible and explain this to them. There are always spare rooms or rooms that people will move out of in the first week of university so you should be able to find a room. That is a perfectly valid reason and the university will be very understanding and should be able to help you.

My friend in first year was in a similar situation where she didn't get the halls she wanted so was but in a halls off campus. However, she lived there for one day and then spoke to the accommodation team at the university who were able to move her into a room in the same accommodation I was in closer to the uni and that had an en suite. So definitely ring up your accommodation team at the university to ask and see and fingers crossed it can be sorted.

Best of luck at uni! Sam- official Student Rep :smile:
The university is legally required to make reasonable adjustments for people with disabilities covered by the Equality Act (2010). From the Epilepsy Society: "People with epilepsy are covered by the Equality Act, even if their seizures are controlled, or they do not consider themselves to be ‘disabled’."

So yes, it is a valid reason and your university should make adjustments for you in view of it.
My son asked his uni about changing his allocated (clearing!) accomodation. He was told that room reallocations would only be considered for students with medical needs. So yes, I would definitely talk to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending