The Student Room Group

How to explain this on my CV?

I am in the process of applying for part-time employment and it will be my first time in a true part-time job, having only previously had paid work at my undergraduate university.

The first year of my AS-levels during 2013-2014 I went to College A and failed completely (EEUU). During 2014-2016 I went to College B and got BBB in different subjects. How do I explain College A on my CV?
You don't? Different situation but I resat some GCSEs and took off my rubbish grades from my CV LOL. I only include them if they ask for ALL examinations taken. Did you switch subjects? You could also explain it in terms of why you left college A etc. Like for me I talk about how school A didn't support students with dyslexia like school B did.
Reply 2
Original post by MrMusician95
You don't? Different situation but I resat some GCSEs and took off my rubbish grades from my CV LOL. I only include them if they ask for ALL examinations taken. Did you switch subjects? You could also explain it in terms of why you left college A etc. Like for me I talk about how school A didn't support students with dyslexia like school B did.

I just don't know how to put it on my education section. Like, just miss out the year and hope they don't notice? Put the college but no qualifications? I changed 2 subjects, and kept the other one (Psychology, Chem, Bio, Maths in College A and Psychology, Sociology, Film Studies in College B).
Original post by emiloujess
I am in the process of applying for part-time employment and it will be my first time in a true part-time job, having only previously had paid work at my undergraduate university.

The first year of my AS-levels during 2013-2014 I went to College A and failed completely (EEUU). During 2014-2016 I went to College B and got BBB in different subjects. How do I explain College A on my CV?

Hi there, hoping I can help.

What you put in your CV is down to your discretion but it may be better to put your grades for your A levels from your second college as these are full A level qualifications. Many people have gaps in their education history due to taking a gap year, resitting years, illness and taking educational courses later in life. An employer may ask what you did in that gap and you can explain honestly and it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad or negative thing.

You could explain what you learnt about yourself during that year when you failed your AS levels and how it gave you the motivation to start again and work towards subjects you were passionate about for your future career. If something happened in that year which impacted your studies you could talk about that too, it's important to be honest but try to turn what you have been through into a positive and how it has helped to get to where you are now.

I hope this helps, we're always here to help if you have any further questions.

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending