The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I am starting the MEng (integrated Masters of Engineering in October. I was on the Access course but had a conversation with the OU and we decided it would be better for me to jump straight into my degree in October as I was finding the Access course very easy and it wasn't challenging me academically. Nice to meet you all.
(edited 2 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 61
Anyone else doing BA (Hons) Geography? This is my second degree (went to a brick uni), and I'm 26 so anyone else doing Geo hit me up!
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
As you can see from my TSR join date, I've been here forever.

I joined initially in September 2004, when I was just about to start at Leeds University. Oh how young I was!
A marriage and four kids later, I never did get my degree. My eldest is going through GCSEs now, go figure!

I've just taken the plunge and sent off the application for the OU. At least I know I won't be getting pregnant during my studies this time, I guess! It's never too late, right?

Hi PMP. i’m in a similar situation. applied for arts and humanities CHE. i have a daughter about to finish uni, another that would have started this year but we changed courses half way and so she has another year of her diploma. i was recently sacked from a job on account of my mental health and two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with ADHD. OU have accepted my evidence any offered a good support practice (on paper) and i’m really hoping to be able to get through it. i never did anything after gcses as i was made to feel like such a failure. i have ‘proved’ myself in work and been able to climb the career ladder on ability but lately, i’ve seen how hard it is to apply for work without a paper with your name on so i thought it may bring me some peace to start looking at this. i couldn’t face a bricks and mortar but thankfully, i should be able to survive on my wages for now as i haven’t known a single person who has received a maintenance loan for Ou study. i home school my children who take some lessons online so it will hopefully be a really productive environment for us all. :smile:
good luck with your course (and to the rest of y’all)
Original post by Sjac77
Hi 👋
Starting Forensic Psychology in Feb 2021. Currently working full time at Women's Aid.

Hey I’m starting in October 2021! How are you finding it ?
Original post by magicgirl
Hi PMP. i’m in a similar situation. applied for arts and humanities CHE. i have a daughter about to finish uni, another that would have started this year but we changed courses half way and so she has another year of her diploma. i was recently sacked from a job on account of my mental health and two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with ADHD. OU have accepted my evidence any offered a good support practice (on paper) and i’m really hoping to be able to get through it. i never did anything after gcses as i was made to feel like such a failure. i have ‘proved’ myself in work and been able to climb the career ladder on ability but lately, i’ve seen how hard it is to apply for work without a paper with your name on so i thought it may bring me some peace to start looking at this. i couldn’t face a bricks and mortar but thankfully, i should be able to survive on my wages for now as i haven’t known a single person who has received a maintenance loan for Ou study. i home school my children who take some lessons online so it will hopefully be a really productive environment for us all. :smile:
good luck with your course (and to the rest of y’all)

My kids are home educated too.
They're 15, 13, 11, & 7.
Reply 65
I'll be studying BA (Hons) Business Management and French in October. I can't wait to get started!
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
As you can see from my TSR join date, I've been here forever.

I joined initially in September 2004, when I was just about to start at Leeds University. Oh how young I was!
A marriage and four kids later, I never did get my degree. My eldest is going through GCSEs now, go figure!

I've just taken the plunge and sent off the application for the OU. At least I know I won't be getting pregnant during my studies this time, I guess! It's never too late, right?

Definitely never to late! I hope 😅 I’ve sent of my application too after having to drop my education to stay with my daughter. I’m going to have a five year old and a newborn when I start 😩 what are you wanting to study? Wishing you luck 🍀
Is anyone studying BA (Honours) Criminology and Psychology starting October 21? I’ve applied for it just waiting for finance to open the student loan applications. Fingers crossed everything goes okay🤞🏼 I’m going to be juggling the course and a newborn baby as well as my five year old😅
Original post by Manooka
:hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to the Open University for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

Hi,
Enrolled on STEM Open degree. It’s been over 25 years since I was at college :smile: so I’m easing in via Y033 STEM access. Course started in May. TM111 Computing and IT and MU123 Maths start in October / January. Anyone else on these courses?
Original post by bcollins98
Definitely never to late! I hope 😅 I’ve sent of my application too after having to drop my education to stay with my daughter. I’m going to have a five year old and a newborn when I start 😩 what are you wanting to study? Wishing you luck 🍀

Gosh you're brave! Mine are a bit older at least. I wish you lots of luck!

I'm applying to do BA Hons Classical Studies, part time. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Open University about a possible credit transfer from when I was previously at Leeds Uni.

My husband will be starting BA Hons 3D Game Art as well, full time. He's been given an unconditional offer from Buckinghamshire New University. It's distance learning so he'll be doing it from home.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Manooka
:hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to the Open University for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

going to enroll for bsc computing and IT for oct cohort 2021
if anyone is from this course , dm me
Reply 71
Will be starting my MA in English with A815 in October. Absolutely terrified, I graduated from uni 10 years ago with a BA (Hons) in Film Production and haven't studied anything above NVQ3 since. But, they've accepted me on the course, so I'll be juggling an MA and a 9-5 job. Send help.
Original post by Sjac77
Hi 👋
Starting Forensic Psychology in Feb 2021. Currently working full time at Women's Aid.

Hi Sjac77 - how have you found the first few months? I was thinking about starting in October!
Reply 73
Original post by Maddiet18
Hi :smile:

I'm going to be studying BSc Data Science, starting in February.

I'm not studying anything at the moment but I am working full time in the public sector. Trying to ease myself back in to studying by looking over old A level maths study notes and textbooks. Very nervous but excited to begin studying again!

Hi! Are you planning to study full time and work? I’m looking to start Data Science in Oct but still contemplating if to study part or full time as I work and have family.
Reply 74
I'll be studying BA (Hons) Economics in October. Good luck to everyone and their studies!
Reply 75
Original post by calixo
I'll be studying BA (Hons) Economics in October. Good luck to everyone and their studies!

I’m on the same course Calixo. Send me a DM?
Original post by Kyne
I’m on the same course Calixo. Send me a DM?

I’m gonna be studying economics too 😁
Original post by Sjac77
Hi 👋

Hey! I’m thinking of starting this course in Feb 22. How are you finding it so far?!
Is anybody else doing Classical Studies? :smile:
HiStarting in October 2021, is anyone doing the Open Degree?

Latest