Buavit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
hi, i have just completed my college an i want to go to uni and do accounting and finance but, i am having a second thought to just do ACCA straight away without going to uni. I want to know if it is the best idea or should i do university graduation and then do ACCA after that??
K1NE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Buavit)
hi, i have just completed my college an i want to go to uni and do accounting and finance but, i am having a second thought to just do ACCA straight away without going to uni. I want to know if it is the best idea or should i do university graduation and then do ACCA after that??
ACCA route
If you definitely know for sure you want to be a Chartered Accountant, then finding an accounting role and a company sponsoring you for an ACCA is a good alternative rather than going to university. The company may however first ask you to do an AAT and then an ACCA. This may be because an AAT is the qualification they do for School leavers/Apprenticeships. You can then after go on to do your ACCA and will get a couple exemptions for the few few exams. Good thing about this route is, you don't have any university debt and you can kickstart your career early. Downside might be that you have limited yourself to accountancy but maybe later on as you develop soft skills you can switch into something else.

Uni route
If you're not completely convinced you want to be a Chartered Accountant, then go to university and then you can do your ACCA after if you come out of university thinking you still want to pursue a career in accountancy. The downside of this is you'll have debt from the tuition fees but the upside is you can try to join non-finance related graduate schemes/entry level role instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would say if you choose to not pursue a university degree, then make sure you secure a job in an accounting role and then do your AAT/ACCA. This will make you stand out far more and will put you ahead of some of your peers at university if you are getting relevant experience. Would strongly advise you not to pay for your AAT/ACCA out of your own pocket because it's expensive and most people do these qualifications whilst holding down a job.

I'm not sure about AAT but I know for ACCA (and any other Chartered Accountancy bodies such as ACA (ICAEW), CIMA) you are required to register with them and then on their online portals they will have a training file (which you complete over 3 years, as this is typically they amount of experience they require as well as passing exams) where you have to regularly record things like the days you have worked (and what you did that day), meeting skill requirements they have listed and complete ethics training. A manager (who is a qualified chartered accountant) will sign this off periodically at your respective company. So you have to pass both. You have to pass your exams which is assessed by the Chartered Accounting body you train with (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) and you have to pass your practical training on the job, which is assessed by your employer and signed off by the manager in charge of your training contract.

Hope this helps
Buavit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by K1NE)
ACCA route
If you definitely know for sure you want to be a Chartered Accountant, then finding an accounting role and a company sponsoring you for an ACCA is a good alternative rather than going to university. The company may however first ask you to do an AAT and then an ACCA. This may be because an AAT is the qualification they do for School leavers/Apprenticeships. You can then after go on to do your ACCA and will get a couple exemptions for the few few exams. Good thing about this route is, you don't have any university debt and you can kickstart your career early. Downside might be that you have limited yourself to accountancy but maybe later on as you develop soft skills you can switch into something else.

Uni route
If you're not completely convinced you want to be a Chartered Accountant, then go to university and then you can do your ACCA after if you come out of university thinking you still want to pursue a career in accountancy. The downside of this is you'll have debt from the tuition fees but the upside is you can try to join non-finance related graduate schemes/entry level role instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would say if you choose to not pursue a university degree, then make sure you secure a job in an accounting role and then do your AAT/ACCA. This will make you stand out far more and will put you ahead of some of your peers at university if you are getting relevant experience. Would strongly advise you not to pay for your AAT/ACCA out of your own pocket because it's expensive and most people do these qualifications whilst holding down a job.

I'm not sure about AAT but I know for ACCA (and any other Chartered Accountancy bodies such as ACA (ICAEW), CIMA) you are required to register with them and then on their online portals they will have a training file (which you complete over 3 years, as this is typically they amount of experience they require as well as passing exams) where you have to regularly record things like the days you have worked (and what you did that day), meeting skill requirements they have listed and complete ethics training. A manager (who is a qualified chartered accountant) will sign this off periodically at your respective company. So you have to pass both. You have to pass your exams which is assessed by the Chartered Accounting body you train with (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) and you have to pass your practical training on the job, which is assessed by your employer and signed off by the manager in charge of your training contract.

Hope this helps
Thank you for this, it was a big help. I think one of my other problem is the fear of missing out uni life and in general just student life. Also i am not sure if ACCA will be harder or will i be able to pass it or not.
danielryre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would recommend going to straight to ACCA, instead of going to Uni for a degree in Accounting. Believe you will learn more studying from ACCA than all those theories they teach at Uni. My recommendation is also for pursuing CIMA at the same.
K1NE
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for this, it was a big help. I think one of my other problem is the fear of missing out uni life and in general just student life. Also i am not sure if ACCA will be harder or will i be able to pass it or not.
No worries. Yep, that is true. You won't get the university experience but some people also feel they don't want to be +£27,000 in debt. It ultimately comes down to what you want.

I'm not sure how difficult ACCA exams are, as I've done ACA. I would say though that many students have passed ACCA exams before and many will continue to pass. It's definitely achievable for anyone who puts the time and effort in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (0)
0%
Less motivated (1)
100%

Watched Threads