The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE Applications

I am interested in applying for a Primary PGCE. I am currently at LSE and I feel like because it is an atypical degree choice for an LSE grad and careers has been useless in helping me. I have only decided this summer and I am finding trying to get school placements really difficult due to COVID-19. I would like to apply to pretty competitive courses at Exeter, Warwick and maybe Cambridge, so I am worried this will hinder me. So far:I am a student academic mentor at uniI am a student peer supporter and the president of an SU sports clubI am trying to centre my dissertation on a topic relevant to education I just got accepted to mentor a young child (8-12) I have work experience in everything it seems but education (it took me a while of trying thing to really decide I wanted to be a teacher) I have some voluntary work from during my A-Levels and gap year with children but I am worried this was too long ago (three-four years )Any further tips for a killer application or alternative things I can do to show my commitment. I am trying to get approved to be an online tutor the person I am dealing with is just taking a while to get back to me, I am thinking about maybe doing my TEFL (I want to do this eventually) or Level 3 in childcare and education to show a commitment to education but not sure if this would be a waste of time. I also just feel like I have no idea how to write a personal statement anymore!
Reply 1
From what I know the providers are understandable about not having school classroom experience so wouldn’t worry about that too much and classroom experience is not necessary for applications it’s just a way of making sure you know what you’re going to be getting into and more of an idea what it’s going to be like but as I said, don’t worry about it too much especially what’s been happening this year.

I think what you have already is good as much more than i have! (Am also looking into PGCE primary for 2021). You should be able to write about that within your personal statement. There have also been people who’ve did some classroom experience 5 years+ and still got into the course.

Doing the extra course is up to you, the personal statement and interview will already show you want to become a teacher which matters more, if you have the right mind set and determination and reasoning for becoming a teacher this is good already.

I highly suggest registering with Get Into Teaching, they call you after you registered and you’ll be able to talk to them about what you’re doing etc. One of the best things they also have done for me so far is assign a teacher Advisor, they will be there to contact, help with decisions, help with personal statement (you can send them 3 drafts for them to review and check which is great) and they’re there to support you along your journey.

All experience matters, as little or a lot - you just need to get that onto your personal statement but explain how it has helped you develop skills and how you’ll use it for teacher training
Hey @taralc,

It is a difficult situation with school experience. Although schools have reopened, it may still be difficult to arrange something due to their risk assessment. Some school, however, are accepting people for experience days. Having said that, teacher training providers are very flexible and accommodating right now. They understand the situation. It might also be worth looking into pre-recorded lessons online to get some experience.

If you haven't already signed up with the Get into Teaching website, it might be worth doing so. You can get an experienced teacher as your adviser. They can provide you links for online pre-recorded lessons, help with your personal statement and provide support with interview preparation.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/get-help-and-support/teacher-training-advisers

I hope that helps.

Zee
Reply 3
Original post by Gab0611
From what I know the providers are understandable about not having school classroom experience so wouldn’t worry about that too much and classroom experience is not necessary for applications it’s just a way of making sure you know what you’re going to be getting into and more of an idea what it’s going to be like but as I said, don’t worry about it too much especially what’s been happening this year.

I think what you have already is good as much more than i have! (Am also looking into PGCE primary for 2021). You should be able to write about that within your personal statement. There have also been people who’ve did some classroom experience 5 years+ and still got into the course.

Doing the extra course is up to you, the personal statement and interview will already show you want to become a teacher which matters more, if you have the right mind set and determination and reasoning for becoming a teacher this is good already.

I highly suggest registering with Get Into Teaching, they call you after you registered and you’ll be able to talk to them about what you’re doing etc. One of the best things they also have done for me so far is assign a teacher Advisor, they will be there to contact, help with decisions, help with personal statement (you can send them 3 drafts for them to review and check which is great) and they’re there to support you along your journey.

All experience matters, as little or a lot - you just need to get that onto your personal statement but explain how it has helped you develop skills and how you’ll use it for teacher training

Hey! Thank you so much for responding - it definitely helped calm my nerves. I think I am just a bit of an overthinker and flashbacks of how stressful applying for uni was last time made me worry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending