1stacyk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just looking for some advice if anyone can help! I’m looking into starting the course ‘paramedic science’ on ‘distance learning centre’ ... has anyone done this course (or any other course with them) and can give a heads up it’s totally legitimate or not? I’ve not been at college/uni in a few years and wanting to go back in the very near future hence why I’m wanting to do this course first, as I’ve always wanted to be a paramedic !
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1stacyk)
Just looking for some advice if anyone can help! I’m looking into starting the course ‘paramedic science’ on ‘distance learning centre’ ... has anyone done this course (or any other course with them) and can give a heads up it’s totally legitimate or not? I’ve not been at college/uni in a few years and wanting to go back in the very near future hence why I’m wanting to do this course first, as I’ve always wanted to be a paramedic !
Hi!

I've not heard of this provider however my advice would be to make sure that the course is being run by an accredited learning provider, and to confirm that it will give you a qualification that you can use to access further courses at the end of your study period. Access to HE courses, for example, are overseen by the QAA (Quality Assurance Agency) who ensure that their accredited courses meet the standards required by UK universities and will ensure that you come out of the course with the necessary qualification to gain access to a HE degree course.

The UK's College of Paramedics (the professional body for paramedics in the UK) also have some advice and guidance on their website about routes into becoming a paramedic, and a list of endorsed courses/providers at https://www.collegeofparamedics.co.u...7-8140d8cdba83.

There's also information about routes into paramedic training on the NHS website at https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ning-paramedic and on the Government's careers website at https://nationalcareers.service.gov....iles/paramedic.

As with any training/education provider, you also want to be really clear about what support you are getting in return for your fees, and how that support will be delivered. Are you given a personal tutor and how often (and for how long) do you 'meet' or contact them? How will learning materials be delivered to you? How are you assessed? Are there ways for you to meet other students through chatrooms/discussions? A good distance/online course supports its students and their academic development - so avoid courses that just seem to send you the materials and then let you get on with it.

Hope that helps!

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads