Edexcel A-Level Physics Paper 2 (Advanced Physics II) - 15 October 2020Watch
Edexcel Physics Paper 2 (Advanced Physics II)
Marks: 90 (30% of the total A-level)
Paper 2 covers:
- Topic 1 - Working as a Physicist
- Topic 4 - Materials
- Topic 5 - Waves and Particle Nature of Light
- Topic 9 - Thermodynamics
- Topic 10 - Space
- Topic 11 - Nuclear Radiation
- Topic 12 - Gravitational Fields
- Topic 13 - Oscillations
A formula booklet is at the end of the paper, and can be found here.
At least 40% of the marks over the three papers is awarded for maths at level 2 or above.
If you're planning to use old spec papers a mapping is below:
- Unit 1 - Materials
- Unit 2 - Waves and the Particle Nature of Light
- Unit 5 - Thermodynamics, Space, Nuclear Radiation, Gravitational Fields, Oscillations
These units contain the following that isn't in the new specification:
- Materials - Fluid flow diagrams
- Materials - Definitions of mechanical properties such as ductile, brittle, hard, malleable, tough.
- Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Identifying, and describing applications of, regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.
- Waves and Particle Nature of Light - How different media affects the transmission/reflection of waves.
The following do not appear in the old specification:
- Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Use of the equation
- Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Optics: focal length, ray diagrams, power of lens, real and virtual lenses, lens formulae, magnification.
- Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Use of Huygens construction. Use of the equation
- Thermodynamics - Specific latent heat.
- Thermodynamics - Derivation and use of . Use of kinetic theory model.
- Thermodynamics - Derivation of
- Nuclear Radiation - Use of binding energy per nucleon curve to explain why fission/fusion release energy.
- Gravitational Fields - Use of gravitational potential equation
Other Edexcel Physics Exams:
they asked this same question last year as well in paper 2
The Guitar question and the oscillation experiment question as well as the black body radiation stuff, ngl I think i'm just stinky of that stuff, lack of revision
The guitar q I cant remember too well, but I think it was mostly just some basic standing wave stuff. Oh and one of the questions required you to use v = sqrt(T/μ) which I haven't seen come up too often.