Edexcel A-Level Mathematics - Statistics & Mechanics - 19 October 2020

Watch
This discussion is closed.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago

Edexcel Mathematics Paper 3 (Statistics & Mechanics)

Date: 19 October 2020
Session: PM
Length: 2h
Marks: 100 (a third of the total A-level)

Paper 3 can cover anything on the Statistics & Mechanics part of the specification.

If you want to use old spec resources, there is a content mapping document here. Be aware that the style is different and the old specification does not cover everything.

A checklist is available here.
Last edited by _gcx; 10 months ago
p.sbt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Anyone got this paper after aqa chemistry in the morning?
emoanimelover1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Question when do i use 2 - variable on the calculator and when do i use 1 variable or is it 100 percent 1 variable everytime for exams pls quick i dont have much time till monday
Unlucki
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by emoanimelover1)
Question when do i use 2 - variable on the calculator and when do i use 1 variable or is it 100 percent 1 variable everytime for exams pls quick i dont have much time till monday
I haven't seen any questions that use 2 variable tbh i think it's just 1-variable? Make sure you have the freq column tho for 1-variable
emoanimelover1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
yes i have a frequency column thanks for this i will now know to avoid the 2nd variable
sanadtw3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Unlucki)
I haven't seen any questions that use 2 variable tbh i think it's just 1-variable? Make sure you have the freq column tho for 1-variable
yeah that’s right i’m pretty sure
Ibi_M
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anyone else in agreement that this paper could be around the same difficulty as last years paper 3 (i.e relatively easy) considering the first 2 papers have been quite tough? Or are we expecting a third hard paper as well?
sanadtw3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ibi_M)
Anyone else in agreement that this paper could be around the same difficulty as last years paper 3 (i.e relatively easy) considering the first 2 papers have been quite tough? Or are we expecting a third hard paper as well?
that’s a good argument but it’s best not to assume an exam is easy. I’m gonna revise like it’s the 2018 stats and mechanics paper.
littlemoons2
Report 9 months ago
what are the predictions for paper 3 considering topics that were tested in 2018,2019?
beachpanda
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
We expecting an extra couple of questions in the exam like papers 1 & 2? There's normally only been 10 in paper 3
sanadtw3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
yes i have a frequency column thanks for this i will now know to avoid the 2nd variable
you do need the 2nd variable actually for work out product moment correlation coefficient
emoanimelover1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by sanadtw3)
you do need the 2nd variable actually for work out product moment correlation coefficient
Was just about to ask do we still need to know regression but thanks that solves it i havent seen it in so many edexcel papers but i dont trust edexcel
beachpanda
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anyone know what the grade boundary for paper 3 was in 2019 for A*? All the A* marks are missing on Edexcel website.
username3300916
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by beachpanda)
Anyone know what the grade boundary for paper 3 was in 2019 for A*? All the A* marks are missing on Edexcel website.
~74 I think
Unlucki
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by beachpanda)
It was 75, I found it randomly from an Edexcel slideshow once (sorry it's not cropped lol)
Name:  Screenshot_20200924-002719.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  150.3 KB
emoanimelover1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Unlucki)
It was 75, I found it randomly from an Edexcel slideshow once (sorry it's not cropped lol)
Name:  Screenshot_20200924-002719.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  150.3 KB
if i get 50 on paper 1 70 on paper 2 and 90 on paper 3 do i still get the a* cause my overrall was higher than the a* grade or is that a no?
Unlucki
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
if i get 50 on paper 1 70 on paper 2 and 90 on paper 3 do i still get the a* cause my overrall was higher than the a* grade or is that a no?
Nope, that would add up to 210 so you'd still get an A. The grade boundaries for individual papers are just notional, i.e. they don't really mean anything in an actual exam series. They just publish them because they recognise that it may be useful as a 'guide' in e.g. mocks or when you're revising. But the only thing that's important in the real thing is what your total marks are out of 300
Ibi_M
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by alebaja)
what are the predictions for paper 3 considering topics that were tested in 2018,2019?
Be prepared to see some conditional probability questions like they did in the 2018 paper on the battery question as if I recall correctly they did not ask a conditional probability question in 2019 for a binomial/normal distribution question.
username3300916
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ibi_M)
Be prepared to see some conditional probability questions like they did in the 2018 paper on the battery question as if I recall correctly they did not ask a conditional probability question in 2019 for a binomial/normal distribution question.
Remind me what conditional probability is again ?
Unlucki
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Uzair63)
Remind me what conditional probability is again ?
Probability of an event happening given another event happened. Looks like this P(B|A)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.56%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.94%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.38%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (31)
9.69%
Financial worries (22)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.94%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.5%

Watched Threads