bart2333
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi! I recently decided to swap my A level Geography with Philosophy but I feel like this was a mistake. I really enjoy Philosophy lessons, but I've read that the actual exam is just horrible and it's really hard to get a even a B. What do you guys think? Should I go back to Geography?

My second question is, the Philosophy course on my schedule is called "RE". Is it pure Philosophy?
On AQA's results page from 2019 there are two subjects called Philosophy - which one is it, 2176 or 7172?

Thank you for all the answers!
Down_worlder
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
RE stands for Religious Education, but this is often referred to as Religion, Philosophy and Ethics. So, it’s not pure philosophy, but the other topics tie in well with it.

It really depends on you, to be honest. What do you want to study in university? What do you want to do in later life? Which subject are you more interested in, as it’s in that you’re more likely to perform well in. Based on your answers to those questions, you should be able to figure out what’s right for you : )
bart2333
Rep:
?
(Original post by Down_worlder)
RE stands for Religious Education, but this is often referred to as Religion, Philosophy and Ethics. So, it’s not pure philosophy, but the other topics tie in well with it.

It really depends on you, to be honest. What do you want to study in university? What do you want to do in later life? Which subject are you more interested in, as it’s in that you’re more likely to perform well in. Based on your answers to those questions, you should be able to figure out what’s right for you : )
Thank you for the answer! Is it as respected as pure Philosophy? Is it harder or easier?

I'd like to study law in the future and I've taken History, Government and Politics and Philosophy. I think that's a pretty good set and I am motivated to work hard! The only thing that worries me is the actual a level Philosophy exam that I've read is super hard, but I feel like coming back to Geography after swaping it would be too awkward.
bart2333
Rep:
?
up guys! I would like to hear from more of you!
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I tutor both, RE is easier than Philosophy.

If you tell me some of the subjects you've been studying in class, I'll be able to tell you whether you are doing Philosophy or RE.
bart2333
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joe312)
I tutor both, RE is easier than Philosophy.

If you tell me some of the subjects you've been studying in class, I'll be able to tell you whether you are doing Philosophy or RE.
Hey! Thank you for your answer. The course info booklet says the course consists of:

Year 12:
Epistemology (Knowledge)
Ethics (Right and Wrong)

Year 13:
Philosophy of Mind (Brains and Minds)
Philosophy or Religion God

Is it pure philosophy or RE? The booklet says "A level Philosophy AQA"
Also, which subject is it on the list?
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/st...S-JUN-2019.PDF

Thank you!
Last edited by bart2333; 4 months ago
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by bart2333)
Hey! Thank you for your answer. The course info booklet says the course consists of:

Year 12:
Epistemology (Knowledge)
Ethics (Right and Wrong)

Year 13:
Philosophy of Mind (Brains and Minds)
Philosophy or Religion God

Is it pure philosophy or RE? The booklet says "A level Philosophy AQA"
Also, which subject is it on the list?
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/st...S-JUN-2019.PDF

Thank you!
That is the Philosophy A level. No idea why your school calls it RE.

Specification code: 7172
QAN code: 603/0684/1

It's a hard one but very respected by universities.
Last edited by Joe312; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.48%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (97)
27.79%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (133)
38.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (47)
13.47%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise