How do I apply to a top US uni as well as UK, and is there any point in doing so?

Watch
heptanitrocubane
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to study engineering in 2022, and I want to apply to top UK unis (oxbridge, imperial etc.) in 2021. As applying for US unis (MIT, Stanford etc.) does not count as part of the 5 ucas unis, I was thinking of also applying to the US.

How would I do this, and do you think it is worth bothering?
Thanks for advice
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by heptanitrocubane)
I want to study engineering in 2022, and I want to apply to top UK unis (oxbridge, imperial etc.) in 2021. As applying for US unis (MIT, Stanford etc.) does not count as part of the 5 ucas unis, I was thinking of also applying to the US.

How would I do this, and do you think it is worth bothering?
Thanks for advice
Applications for unis in the states are usually done on what I guess is their equivalent of UCAS - the common application (there's also the coalition application but I think international students are meant to use the common app).

What they look for in applications is completely different - Unis here place a huge emphasis on grades and supercurriculars whilst unis in the US view your application holistically - you'll be wanting to get very high SAT/ACT scores and have great extracurriculars. Remember that studying for the SAT/ACT will probably be happening whilst you're doing your AS levels and that's going to be a lot of extra work!

Best of luck!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You might want to check out the fees for US unis before considering applying
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Applications for unis in the states are usually done on what I guess is their equivalent of UCAS - the common application (there's also the coalition application but I think international students are meant to use the common app).

What they look for in applications is completely different - Unis here place a huge emphasis on grades and supercurriculars whilst unis in the US view your application holistically - you'll be wanting to get very high SAT/ACT scores and have great extracurriculars. Remember that studying for the SAT/ACT will probably be happening whilst you're doing your AS levels and that's going to be a lot of extra work!

Best of luck!
Tbh you don't need to study for the SATs - they're intended to filter out the weaker applicants, and the questions on it are relatively easy
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Tbh you don't need to study for the SATs - they're intended to filter out the weaker applicants, and the questions on it are relatively easy
They may be easy but they require practice, especially in the non-Maths sections.
A couple of weeks of solid practise can boost your score by 300+ - If OP wants to get in, it's not worth forgoing any practise before the test unless their prepared to take it a couple of times.
heptanitrocubane
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

Best of luck!
Thanks for advice!
By any chance do you know when I have to do the tests by to submit an application in 2021 (for 2022 sept start)?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
No idea - it usually says on each college's website which the last testing date they'd accept is.
It also depends which deadline you're applying for (i.e. early/regular)
Katzen
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Woah, Mr Worldwide over here.
username5376192
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Katzen)
Woah, Mr Worldwide over here.
😂😂

Good on you OP for aiming high 👍 but like the other person said top universities in America are very expensive(like 40k per semester??? Idk) so unless you're stacked or have a scholarship it's going to be difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (146)
14.46%
I'm not sure (43)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
30%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.71%

Watched Threads