The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Weather? Clothing?(in London)

What is the average temperature and conditions in the Fall/Winter, more importantly in September?

Does it snow like a lot in London, like up to 2 ft?

Are there icy storms?

Do u guys wear snow boots?

Should I buy rainboots in the States, or can I get them cheap in London? Do you guys even wear rainboots?

Could I find well priced raincoats in London?

Girls: Are you able to wear cute shoes in London weather? Flats, heels, suede?

Sorry I've been asking a lot of questions, but I am scared about the climate since it's such a change from Maryland's Northeast weather.

Maybe more questions to come...
Reply 1
Oh boy. You're in for a shock lol

Snowstorms every week. Don't bring any less than 10 jackets...and a sleigh.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Really though, how should we pack for fall? I've got some sweaters but I haven't been able to find anything waterproof (it's tough to find a raincoat in summer in a city where it only rains twice a year). I just want to make sure I'm not going to walk out of the airport and get caught in a downpour. Any advice on Fall/Winter clothing would be appreciated.
Reply 3
daH.B.I.C
What is the average temperature and conditions in the Fall/Winter, more importantly in September?

Does it snow like a lot in London, like up to 2 ft?

Are there icy storms?

Do u guys wear snow boots?

Should I buy rainboots in the States, or can I get them cheap in London? Do you guys even wear rainboots?

Could I find well priced raincoats in London?

Girls: Are you able to wear cute shoes in London weather? Flats, heels, suede?

Sorry I've been asking a lot of questions, but I am scared about the climate since it's such a change from Maryland's Northeast weather.

Maybe more questions to come...

Aw, a fellow American! Okay, London weather is typically rainy and overcast. Not pouring rain but sort of perpetual drizzle. It doesn't get as cold as the North/East Coast in the winter and snow is pretty rare. You can wear whatever shoes you like but make sure you protect them if they're suede because it rains pretty frequently.
Reply 4
It barely snows over here.

I'd go as far as saying you could survive on one pair of shoes all year round.
mean temp 16'C
no snow
no ice storms
no snow boots
no 'rain boots' - we call em wellies - unless u do gardening
yes raincoats are cheap
yes you can wear normal shoes when it rains, just be sensible
Reply 6
never wear suede shoes in wet weather. the soak up the water so much and will leave colour on your socks/feet/whatever underneath!
it never snows in london, just rains quite a bit
Reply 8
NO NO NO.

We have rain...but we wear normal coats..
Hardly any snow. If it is, its weak!

Yes girls still wear cute shoes.

We're not extreme, just prepare to have a coat, an umbrella and sensible shoes (trainers or something)

I would buy everything from USA as its cheaper than here!
Reply 9
what is the avarage temp. in mid september?
Reply 10
Its probably 10-14 C during the day in September, well this year since its so miserable. We don't have seasons in London, changes between overcast, sunny with clouds and rain.
Reply 11
Thanks everyone for the comments! Now I can be assured in my last minute shopping before I hit London town!
Reply 12
A collection of hoodies in various sizes, colours and thickness are also pretty much essential :p:, lol.

Latest