Jessbarnes_19
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve currently taken maths, geography and biology a levels with no clear career path in mind would it be a bad idea to swap biology out for economics as I’ve had a week of lessons and have not enjoyed biology at all and I’m stressed about how much work biology is.
Any advice helps
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you've just started in year 12, then you may well be able to change subjects. You'll have to talk to your school and see if it's possible to do so, and what subject(s) you might be able to swap to. It sounds like changing is probably a good idea though; if you aren't enjoying biology and struggling with the work then it's definitely better to recognise this sooner rather than later so you can change if possible!

Whether economics is specifically worth swapping to depends on you and your interest in the subject area - if you like human geography then that might be a good indicator economics would be up your alley, although it is quite different in many ways (the economic theory is more formally mathematical, although at A-level standard this isn't particularly intense and if you are doing A-level Maths and doing well in it so far you shouldn't have trouble with the mathematical content).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Jessbarnes_19)
I’ve currently taken maths, geography and biology a levels with no clear career path in mind would it be a bad idea to swap biology out for economics as I’ve had a week of lessons and have not enjoyed biology at all and I’m stressed about how much work biology is.
Any advice helps
Hi Jessbarnes_19,

I hope you are well,

I understand that you may have no clear career path; however, swapping either Biology and Economics could influence the degree course you go on to study. Is there any university course which you may have an interested in? If it is a “scientific” based course, then having A Level Biology may likely help meet the entry requirements. However, if it is more of a “business/enterprise” course, then possibly economics would better prepare you for the degree.

Do you enjoy Geography A Level? From my experience, in the end, I went with the degree course that interested me the most- geography. However, I was still unsure of what sub-discipline, human or physical geography, therefore went down the middle and studied Geography BSc(Hons).

The University Of Huddersfield also has a list of careers you could enter- taken from the Royal Geographic Society. However, if the following career paths don’t interest you, by studying a Geography degree, you will likely gain many transferable skills which you could utilise in different industries.
• Teaching
• Research
• Environmental Management
• Planning
• Finance Banking
• Commercial Enterprises
• Travel/Tourism

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads