Applying for Secondary PGCE English with a Bachelor's in Psychology

Watch
nicolels
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, so I am currently attaining my Bachelor's degree in Psychology. However, I have decided that I would really like to apply to get a PGCE in English or even History, as these are two subjects I thoroughly enjoy, and become a secondary school teacher. I am in my junior year (I am studying and from the USA, however planning to move to the UK after my undergraduate). I want to complete my Bachelor's because I am already this far and Psychology can open the doorway for a lot of advanced careers if I would choose to do so later in life. However, I was wondering if there are things that I can do to actually get in? I am wondering if I should just complete this degree and then go and get my undergraduate in secondary education. I have been looking into SKE's and getting my A-level in English, however, I am worried this will not be enough. I would obviously prefer to only go on for one extra year, however, maybe I will need to go back and start over. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nicolels)
Hi, so I am currently attaining my Bachelor's degree in Psychology. However, I have decided that I would really like to apply to get a PGCE in English or even History, as these are two subjects I thoroughly enjoy, and become a secondary school teacher. I am in my junior year (I am studying and from the USA, however planning to move to the UK after my undergraduate). I want to complete my Bachelor's because I am already this far and Psychology can open the doorway for a lot of advanced careers if I would choose to do so later in life. However, I was wondering if there are things that I can do to actually get in? I am wondering if I should just complete this degree and then go and get my undergraduate in secondary education. I have been looking into SKE's and getting my A-level in English, however, I am worried this will not be enough. I would obviously prefer to only go on for one extra year, however, maybe I will need to go back and start over. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are!
Your best bet is to talk to unis directly, and see if they would accept you with A-level English and an SKE. My suspicion is they would want some English content in your degree- but as you are in the USA, I imagine you have done a broader range of modules than a UK based student. This would help strengthen your case. You would have more chance with English than History, as there is more demand for English teachers.

Alternatively, a masters in English might be possible with a psychology degree, and would qualify you to teach English.
nicolels
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Your best bet is to talk to unis directly, and see if they would accept you with A-level English and an SKE. My suspicion is they would want some English content in your degree- but as you are in the USA, I imagine you have done a broader range of modules than a UK based student. This would help strengthen your case. You would have more chance with English than History, as there is more demand for English teachers.

Alternatively, a masters in English might be possible with a psychology degree, and would qualify you to teach English.
Thank you! I definitely do have a broad range of subjects, however being as I have never studied in the UK, I am not sure what the comparison is.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nicolels)
Thank you! I definitely do have a broad range of subjects, however being as I have never studied in the UK, I am not sure what the comparison is.
In the UK, you'd literally just study psychology, with maybe one elective module at some point. If you have taken English courses at any stage, that will count in your favour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (61)
21.11%
No (228)
78.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed