The Student Room Group

14 inch laptop or 15.6 inch laptop. What is better for student

I KNOW 14 INCH EASER TO CARRY, BUT I AM USED TO 24 inch screen everyday do you think I should GO FOR 15 cause its bigger. HELP
Reply 1
It’s not that much of a difference between them and it’s going to feel really small either way if you’re used to 24 inch so I’d just go with 14 to make it easier to carry
Reply 2
Original post by aeruk
It’s not that much of a difference between them and it’s going to feel really small either way if you’re used to 24 inch so I’d just go with 14 to make it easier to carry

say less

edit: 14 inch out of stock
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kkona
I KNOW 14 INCH EASER TO CARRY, BUT I AM USED TO 24 inch screen everyday do you think I should GO FOR 15 cause its bigger. HELP

the LG Gram 15.6" is amazingly light and i recommend it for portability :smile: the new Dell XPS 15.6" is not light but it is very small, albeit expensive
Go as small and light as you can, or as big and hefty as you can. The latter case is for moving around, plugging in, and setting up shop for a while. The former for light work and Uni related things, unless you do CAD and the like and need a heavier beefier setup, in which case a laptop is nonsense.
Reply 5
Original post by Callicious
Go as small and light as you can, or as big and hefty as you can. The latter case is for moving around, plugging in, and setting up shop for a while. The former for light work and Uni related things, unless you do CAD and the like and need a heavier beefier setup, in which case a laptop is nonsense.

the 14 inch is out of stock now and I dont think it will be in stock soon and i need to go to uni in 2 weeks i might buy the 15.6 inch right now , do you think I can carry it around
Original post by kkona
the 14 inch is out of stock now and I dont think it will be in stock soon and i need to go to uni in 2 weeks i might buy the 15.6 inch right now , do you think I can carry it around

I used my 10.4 inch Samsung tablet for the first 5 months of Uni, then bought a desktop which didn't work for 2 months because I was given faulty parts by Amazon and Corsair. Jumping to a hasty decision because it's not in stock is a bit... hasty :P

Anyhow, just saying the size doesn't mean much. I don't know the specifics on what you intend to use the laptop/etc for, but if it's anything except gaming then you should worry more about the weight than the size when it comes to carrying it around. I have one of these (https://www.entroware.com/store/apollo) and it's light and resistant to damage with a solid aluminium case. You can find 14'' laptops that weigh far more and some that weigh less.

Anyhow just be careful about the weight... a larger bag is always achievable at a minor weight cost, but a larger laptop or even the wrong choice of the same size laptop can lead to huge weight increases for little benefit as far as the target use of the laptop is.
Reply 7
Original post by Callicious
I used my 10.4 inch Samsung tablet for the first 5 months of Uni, then bought a desktop which didn't work for 2 months because I was given faulty parts by Amazon and Corsair. Jumping to a hasty decision because it's not in stock is a bit... hasty :P

Anyhow, just saying the size doesn't mean much. I don't know the specifics on what you intend to use the laptop/etc for, but if it's anything except gaming then you should worry more about the weight than the size when it comes to carrying it around. I have one of these (https://www.entroware.com/store/apollo) and it's light and resistant to damage with a solid aluminium case. You can find 14'' laptops that weigh far more and some that weigh less.

Anyhow just be careful about the weight... a larger bag is always achievable at a minor weight cost, but a larger laptop or even the wrong choice of the same size laptop can lead to huge weight increases for little benefit as far as the target use of the laptop is.

the 14 inch is 1.4kg and the 15.6 inch is 1.66kg do you think that is fine weight wise and can it fit in a bag like the width of the 15.6 might not fit in the normal size bag
l have a dell 15.1
Original post by kkona
the 14 inch is 1.4kg and the 15.6 inch is 1.66kg do you think that is fine weight wise and can it fit in a bag like the width of the 15.6 might not fit in the normal size bag

I always take a case for my laptop, even inside my bag. It means I can use it as a base for it on a table somewhere where the surface might not be the cleanest. The case gets a bit dirty, but I can always just wash it off easily. But without the case, it should fit.

Normally bags say what size they fit when you purchase them.

Also the 0.26 kg difference isn't that bad, I expected more of a bracket!

Quick Reply

Latest