It actually happened... N word news

Watch
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-english-slur

This is one of those occasions where the extreme and slightly joking hypothetical becomes reality..

Every time there is a thread on the N-word for the last 4 years or so, to illustrate the point that context should matter, I've used this example, that in Chinese there is a vrey common word that is used to mean um/er/(that) or as a pause for thought in speech, that sounds similar to the N word. Its not identical, its pronounced sometimes with a hard E sound like knee or even with a soft A sound like nap,, rather than the N word which has a soft I sound like nick. but when people say it quickly it sounds very similar.

I've used it as an extreme example of 'how could someone possibly find this set of sounds offensive' because not only do they not mean any offense by it.. they don't even mean black people, and its not even in the same language! so for me it was the ultimate and extreme example of something sounding offensive but having an innocent meaning. If you had even the slightest view that meaning matters when it comes to offense, then this was a case that nobody could disagree with.

Well.. years later my extreme example becomes a reality..

Professor removed from teaching his class, because some of his students feel that his use of Chinese has damaged their mental health.

(I'm long past being angry about things like this.. I'm posting it because its gotten to the point where its just funny now. There is genuine racial problems in the world, and yet some poor students have had their mental wellbeing hurt by another language. Its so crazy you just have to laugh... A chinese word, that existed long before the slave trade was even the wet dream of a racist white person, is racist because by coincidence it sounds like something in another language.)

(god help them if they ever came to China! Its such a common word, people say it hundreds of times in speach, because its just a filler word/sound, its similar to teenage girls saying 'like' loads of times in the middle of sentances... they would have a heart attack here!)
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
These kids are going to be mentally traumatized as they travel around the world, if they can't handle things in other languages that sound offensive in English... there are plenty of them about!
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What the actual ****!

They are going lose their minds when they find out about Niger.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
100 mostly chiense professors/academics wrote a letter in support of him.. (funnily enough they don't like the idea of people tampering with normal Chinese language for the sake of a word that doesn't have any relivance to China or the Chinese language)

Good luck to them... Chinese people have no voice in the current race wars
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
What the actual ****!

They are going lose their minds when they find out about Niger.
Pretty sure the country gets a black-guy pass...

Although, could a white person write about Niger?

I mean, logically, writing and speech are just different manifestations of communication. To say something that sounds like the N word (but means something entirely different) is surely the same as to write something that looks like the N word (but means something entirely different)?

What would the logical difference be there? Surely either both are offensive, or neither are.

Map makers are going to have a few issues there..
khadijaaaxxxx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
bloody hell
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Pretty sure the country gets a black-guy pass...

Although, could a white person write about Niger?

I mean, logically, writing and speech are just different manifestations of communication. To say something that sounds like the N word (but means something entirely different) is surely the same as to write something that looks like the N word (but means something entirely different)?

What would the logical difference be there? Surely either both are offensive, or neither are.

Map makers are going to have a few issues there..
Could a white person talk about Niger without mentally abusing their audience?

I would expel every single student that complained, they are not mature enough to go to university.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?

I would expel every single student that complained, they are not mature enough to go to university.
The problem is.. they would love that! You'd make their dreams come true. They become the ultimate martyr/victim and can say for years to come "I was kicked out of university for fighting against racism!".

I think for me, if it gets to this point in their education its too far gone. They have already been educated in this manner for so many years, right up from childhood that you can't just switch things around and change things now. Their world view is set that this how they should behave, and it can't be changed easily.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
I do wonder if racists will jump on this though...

In years to come, will we have "Judge, I was just speaking Chinese..." Coming out in court...
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The problem is.. they would love that! You'd make their dreams come true. They become the ultimate martyr/victim and can say for years to come "I was kicked out of university for fighting against racism!".

I think for me, if it gets to this point in their education its too far gone. They have already been educated in this manner for so many years, right up from childhood that you can't just switch things around and change things now. Their world view is set that this how they should behave, and it can't be changed easily.
Do we need reeducation camps?
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Do we need reeducation camps?
I see what you did there
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's 那个(nèi ge).

Can't imagine if any of them go to Spain or a country in Latin America and hear "*****" (that's black in Spanish for you)...

Let's ban the use of 'vinegar' in speech... it's a close call.

****ing morons.
Last edited by Occitanie; 3 weeks ago
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I use the French pronunciation, which is "NEE-ZHER", so I would be fine :lol:
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-english-slur

This is one of those occasions where the extreme and slightly joking hypothetical becomes reality..

Every time there is a thread on the N-word for the last 4 years or so, to illustrate the point that context should matter, I've used this example, that in Chinese there is a vrey common word that is used to mean um/er/(that) or as a pause for thought in speech, that sounds similar to the N word. Its not identical, its pronounced sometimes with a hard E sound like knee or even with a soft A sound like nap,, rather than the N word which has a soft I sound like nick. but when people say it quickly it sounds very similar.

I've used it as an extreme example of 'how could someone possibly find this set of sounds offensive' because not only do they not mean any offense by it.. they don't even mean black people, and its not even in the same language! so for me it was the ultimate and extreme example of something sounding offensive but having an innocent meaning. If you had even the slightest view that meaning matters when it comes to offense, then this was a case that nobody could disagree with.

Well.. years later my extreme example becomes a reality..

Professor removed from teaching his class, because some of his students feel that his use of Chinese has damaged their mental health.

(I'm long past being angry about things like this.. I'm posting it because its gotten to the point where its just funny now. There is genuine racial problems in the world, and yet some poor students have had their mental wellbeing hurt by another language. Its so crazy you just have to laugh... A chinese word, that existed long before the slave trade was even the wet dream of a racist white person, is racist because by coincidence it sounds like something in another language.)

(god help them if they ever came to China! Its such a common word, people say it hundreds of times in speach, because its just a filler word/sound, its similar to teenage girls saying 'like' loads of times in the middle of sentances... they would have a heart attack here!)
Christ this is just like people using the word 'niggardly' and being accused of racism. It boggles the mind that these illiterate twits can have such an outsized influence on public discourse.
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Remember this next time you see white fragility being thrown around.
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
These kids are going to be mentally traumatized as they travel around the world, if they can't handle things in other languages that sound offensive in English... there are plenty of them about!
Hmmm.....interesting. I studied Spanish in high school and I always felt uncomfortable whenever my teacher said the word for black in Spanish. I feel she damaged my mental health. She also kind of gave me a low mark for a coursework once and I've held a grudge against her since. Do I have a case to destroy her career? More importantly, do I perhaps have a case for damages? Please advise! $_$

Disclaimer: This comment is not meant to be taken seriously. It's only sarcasm.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 3 weeks ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pinkisk)
Hmmm.....interesting. I studied Spanish in high school and I always felt uncomfortable whenever my teacher said the word for black in Spanish. I feel she damaged my mental health. She also kind of gave me a low mark for a coursework once and I've held a grudge against her since. Do I have a case to destroy her career? More importantly, do I perhaps have a case for damages? Please advise! $_$

Disclaimer: Please, don't let this comment damage your mental health. It's only sarcasm.
go nuts... although I be careful going after the spanish language - in my experience spanish speakers are a bit more feisty then the chinese!
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
go nuts... although I be careful going after the spanish language - in my experience spanish speakers are a bit more feisty then the chinese!
I would never contemplate such a thing.

Perdón mi español no es bueno pero mi gusto España mucho. Es el país de mis sueños.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (79)
21.7%
No (285)
78.3%

Watched Threads