Is college/sixth form as fun and dramatic as secondary school?

Watch
Lilymae69
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So i'm starting college/sixth form in 2 years. I heard from a lot of people that its boring and there is no drama or fun like secondary school. I know this is weird but personally I feel more comfortable in a place that is interactive and less serious, which is why I do well in secondary. Is it really boring and serious?
mariam3040
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I go to college, it isn't boring at all because you meet new people from all ages and also you can have fun. When going to sixthform there will be the same people that you have seen the majority of your time inside your school. However, not all students will get accepted in sixthform depending on their grades and subjects they choose. I really like going college, but you also have to see which one is more beneficial for your future.
username5397146
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Kinda dead ngl. Also id prefer focusing on the academia side than drama.

Basically they are like secondary except the teachers care less. If you do the work they help you, if not its not their job.
Lilymae69
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariam3040)
I go to college, it isn't boring at all because you meet new people from all ages and also you can have fun. When going to sixthform there will be the same people that you have seen the majority of your time inside your school. However, not all students will get accepted in sixthform depending on their grades and subjects they choose. I really like going college, but you also have to see which one is more beneficial for your future.
What if you go to a different sixth form then you're school one? Is there like popular people, bullies etc in college? Are people rude to the teachers? Is there fights
Lilymae69
Rep:
?
(Original post by clin.edpsych)
Kinda dead ngl. Also id prefer focusing on the academia side than drama.

Basically they are like secondary except the teachers care less. If you do the work they help you, if not its not their job.
thanks
ellahyatt1407
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spent a week at sixth form before I dropped out because I couldn't deal with the environment, I found it really stressful and wasn't interested at all in the subjects I'd chosen. A lot is expected of you, and the workload is pretty hefty- hence you might get the feeling it's quite boring/serious, which can be off-putting. However, I think if you're genuinely interested in the subjects you're taking and are committed to studying and revising then you wouldn't see it that way.
Once I left sixth form I started college, best decision I'd ever made. We had 3 or 4 exams, the rest was coursework based and that really helped me get a better understanding of what I was learning and that really reflected in my work, I achieved a D*DD which is the equivalent to an A*AA I believe,
At the end of the day, it's whatever suits you. Personally I found that college suited me better but loads of friends that stayed on at sixth form loved it and achieved really amazing grades.
Lilymae69
Rep:
?
whats the difference between college and sixth form
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't go to college for 'drama and fun', you go to get your A Levels. You can absolutely have a good time and make new friends and have a laugh along the way, but on the whole the people who didn't really want to learn will have been weeded out, so you can expect the atmosphere to be a bit more studious than school. But that's never to say you can't have any fun. I found sixth form lots of fun! But if you're only going in 2 years that makes you 14 - I can promise you the 'drama' in sixth form isn't anything like what you'll be experiencing now!
Lilymae69
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
You don't go to college for 'drama and fun', you go to get your A Levels. You can absolutely have a good time and make new friends and have a laugh along the way, but on the whole the people who didn't really want to learn will have been weeded out, so you can expect the atmosphere to be a bit more studious than school. But that's never to say you can't have any fun. I found sixth form lots of fun! But if you're only going in 2 years that makes you 14 - I can promise you the 'drama' in sixth form isn't anything like what you'll be experiencing now!
Thanks ig
mariam3040
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lilymae69)
What if you go to a different sixth form then you're school one? Is there like popular people, bullies etc in college? Are people rude to the teachers? Is there fights
If you go to a different sixthform you get to meet new people. However, it so stressful compared to college. In college everyone minds their own business and you can just walk up and make new friends from other courses. Bullying is actually not seen in colleges because you all have a busy life also there is loads of mature people, so they are understanding and avoiding trouble. College might also be stressful but it is more relaxed. So you have a chance to leave and come in. Using phone in class can be allowed, teachers are so supportive and do not put pressure. Only if you are not doing your work they will put pressure. Students can be rude in any educational place. But, many students don't get rude with the teachers in college because the teachers are our key and will help us to open the path to a good future. And no we don't have fights. as I said everyone minds their own business and concentrate on their education.
Last edited by mariam3040; 1 year ago
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People told me that everyone would have grown up by the time we started sixth form... my first week in sixth form there was a massive food fight that caused a whole year group detention :rolleyes: But generally people in sixth form are more mature than people in secondary school, just like year 9s are more mature than year 7s etc.

There’s definitely still fun in sixth form. I found lessons generally more relaxed than at GCSE. But most people are aiming to get good grades so that they can go to uni or get a good job, so they’re a bit more studious than in secondary,
Why would you want things like bullies and fights, though? They just cause people to get hurt, and don’t help anyone.
Lilymae69
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariam3040)
If you go to a different sixthform you get to meet new people. However, it so stressful compared to college. In college everyone minds their own business and you can just walk up and make new friends from other courses. Bullying is actually not seen in colleges because you all have a busy life also there is loads of mature people, so they are understanding and avoiding trouble. College might also be stressful but it is more relaxed. So you have a chance to leave and come in. Using phone in class can be allowed, teachers are so supportive and do not put pressure. Only if you are not doing your work they will put pressure. Students can be rude in any educational place. But, many students don't get rude with the teachers in college because the teachers are our key and will help us to open the path to a good future. And no we don't have fights. as I said everyone minds their own business and concentrate on their education.
Oh well thanks
Lilymae69
Rep:
?
(Original post by Desideri)
People told me that everyone would have grown up by the time we started sixth form... my first week in sixth form there was a massive food fight that caused a whole year group detention :rolleyes: But generally people in sixth form are more mature than people in secondary school, just like year 9s are more mature than year 7s etc.

There’s definitely still fun in sixth form. I found lessons generally more relaxed than at GCSE. But most people are aiming to get good grades so that they can go to uni or get a good job, so they’re a bit more studious than in secondary,

Why would you want things like bullies and fights, though? They just cause people to get hurt, and don’t help anyone.
I dont like those things btw i just asked since i get bullied now
you get detentions in sixth form?
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
College was so good lol. There was definitely elements of 'drama'. But, it was one of the coolest adventures I've experienced. However, keep in mind, my experiences may (or may not) be the same as other people.
Lilymae69
Rep:
?
(Original post by gtty123)
College was so good lol. There was definitely elements of 'drama'. But, it was one of the coolest adventures I've experienced. However, keep in mind, my experiences may (or may not) be the same as other people.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can you describe your experience and adventures?
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to sixth form, and while there are people who were 'popular', everyone is much more mature. You could talk to anyone in class and people are just generally more approachable. There was the rare fight or two, but nothing too serious. There weren't really any bullies as people had matured on from that stage by then (at least in my sixth form anyway). It is fun, maybe not the exact same type of fun you are looking for but it is fun.
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can you describe your experience and adventures?
Yeah, sure 🙂. In terms of experience - it was freedom I had, which high school didn't give me. Before I cause confusion, the "freedom" I'm referring to is roaming around the college campus and being able to go outside for lunch etc. Things like this, which high school prevents. The ability to direct my life and make my own decisions was amazing. Unlike high school (and sixth form) college didn't require me to come in with a 'set' uniform; I wore whatever I wanted. This all made my college experience an amazing adventure. There's more, but I'm sure you get the gist of it.

But yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed college.
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont like those things btw i just asked since i get bullied now
you get detentions in sixth form?
A few teachers still gave detentions out in sixth form. But it was only for bigger things, they didn’t give them out for forgotten homework or whatever. This may depend on the school, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.64%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.55%
I need help with my personal statement (82)
41.41%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.52%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.58%

Watched Threads