Johnson to renege on Withdrawal Agreement

Watch
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Boris Johnson has reportedly decided that the "oven ready" deal that he personally negotiated now doesn't make sense.

In doing so the UK will be breaking an international treaty before trade deals with other nations who are expected to trust us.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...hnson-tell-eu/
Spoiler:
Show

The Brexit divorce deal is "contradictory" and must be rewritten to protect the Union, Boris Johnson will tell EU leaders on Tuesday.

The Prime Minister believes the UK-EU Withdrawal Agreement is legally ambiguous and would leave Northern Ireland isolated from the rest of the UK, something that was "unforeseen" when he agreed to it last year.

Michel Barnier, the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, arrives in London on Tuesday morning for the latest round of formal trade talks after Mr Johnson said he "will not back down" over his plan to change the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement through legislation being tabled on Wednesday.

The move has triggered a major row between London and Brussels, with the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, saying the issue was a matter of "trust".
She threatened not to do business with Britain in future if the Government refused to abide by the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, which Brussels insists is legally binding.

Mr Barnier said honouring the existing agreement was a "precondition" for progress to be made in trade deal negotiations this week, while critics of Mr Johnson accused him of wanting to force a "no trade deal" exit at the end of the year.
A Brexit Withdrawal Q&A
But David Frost, the UK's lead negotiator, will tell Mr Barnier it is time for the EU to recognise the "reality" that Britain is a sovereign state, free to set its own laws. He will also "drive home our clear message that we must make progress this week if we are to reach an agreement in time".

Downing Street insisted it merely wanted to "clarify" parts of the Agreement to protect the interests of Northern Ireland and the ongoing peace process as a "safety net" in case no trade deal is agreed, and that a deal was still the Government's objective.

A Number 10 spokesman left little doubt that Mr Johnson did not believe the Withdrawal Agreement – originally negotiated by Theresa May – made sense, as the UK internal market and the peace process would be "compromised by unintended consequences" if it was not amended.

Mr Johnson renegotiated the terms of the Northern Ireland Protocol, removing the so-called "backstop", before agreeing the terms of Britain's exit from the EU in October.

The current legal default position is that, after December 31, all goods passing from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland would be subject to customs checks and tariffs, that businesses in Northern Ireland would have to fill in customs declarations for goods being sold to the mainland, and that EU rules on state aid could be applied to mainland companies selling goods in Northern Ireland.

But a senior Government source said some of the consequences "were not foreseen" at the time. The source added: "The protocol is contradictory in some respects – it talks about protecting the EU single market but also giving Northern Ireland unfettered access to the UK market. You can't have both.

"Without a trade deal, all goods passing from the mainland to Northern Ireland would be subject to tariffs, because they would be classed as being 'at risk' of being sold on to the EU market. Even though traders could later claim back the money by proving the goods didn't leave the UK, the administrative costs would be considerable."

Ms von der Leyen warned there could be no backtracking by the UK on its previous commitments if it wanted to reach a free trade agreement, saying: "I trust the British Government to implement the Withdrawal Agreement, an obligation under international law and prerequisite for any future partnership."

Leaked diplomatic cables sent to EU capitals from Brussels in recent days accuse Mr Johnson of dithering on issues such as fisheries, state aid and dispute resolution during negotiations in order to achieve a "trade-off" at the eleventh hour.

A commission official has told EU diplomats these points can't be ironed out with a simple phone call, saying "it is leaving it too late", according to The Guardian.

In a letter to Conservative supporters, Mr Johnson said he "will not back down" but added that he still hoped for a trade deal.
The Prime Minister spoke to French president, Emmanuel Macron, on Tuesday, when both agreed on the need to make progress in the talks. Mr Macron said the two had a "very good exchange", suggesting he does not regard Mr Johnson's latest move as a deal-breaker.

Mr Frost said on Monday night: "We have now been talking for six months and can no longer afford to go over well-trodden ground. We need to see more realism from the EU about our status as an independent country.

"We have repeatedly made clear that key elements of our position derive from the fundamentals of being a sovereign state, and it's time for the EU to fully recognise this reality.

"If they can't do that in the very limited time, we have left then we will be trading on terms like those the EU has with Australia, and we are ramping up our preparations for the end of the year."
He said there was "still time to reach a good agreement". On Sunday, Mr Johnson had set a five-week deadline for an agreement to be reached.

Mr Johnson is understood to have reassured him that the changes were limited and technical, and that he would honour commitments made when the deal was agreed last year.

The Internal Market Bill, to be tabled on Wednesday, will ensure that goods from Northern Ireland continue to have unfettered access to the UK market while making clear that EU state aid rules – which will continue to apply in Northern Ireland – will not apply in the rest of the UK.

In addition, an amendment to the Finance Bill will give ministers, not the EU, the power to designate which goods going from Great Britain to Northern Ireland are considered "at risk" of entering the EU single market and are therefore liable to EU tariffs.
The Prime Minister's spokesman said: "As a responsible Government, we cannot allow the peace process or the UK's internal market to inadvertently be compromised by unintended consequences of the protocol.

"So we are taking limited and reasonable steps to clarify specific elements of the Northern Ireland protocol in domestic law to remove any ambiguity and to ensure the Government is always able to deliver on its commitments to the people of Northern Ireland."

Due to this the Head of the UK Government Legal Department has now resigned.

https://www.ft.com/content/6186bf1c-...3-4eea763e1b94
Spoiler:
Show

The head of the UK’s government legal department, has quit over suggestions that Boris Johnson is trying to row back on parts of last year’s Brexit deal relating to Northern Ireland.

Jonathan Jones is the sixth senior Whitehall civil servant to resign this year, amid growing tensions between the prime minister and officials at the top of the civil service.

Two Whitehall officials with knowledge of the situation told the Financial Times that the Treasury solicitor and permanent secretary of the Government Legal Department was leaving his position due to a dispute with Downing Street over its plans to challenge parts of the Brexit withdrawal agreement.

Those close to Sir Jonathan said he was “very unhappy” about the decision to overwrite parts of the Northern Ireland protocol, part of the 2019 withdrawal agreement, with new powers in the UK internal market bill.

Number 10 insisted the new powers were “limited” and were needed to bring clarity to the protocol agreed and signed by Mr Johnson last October.Sir Jonathan’s departure follows the exit of cabinet secretary Mark Sedwill, Simon McDonald from the Foreign Office, Philip Rutnam from the Home Office, Richard Heaton from the Ministry of Justice and Jonathan Slater from the Department for Education.

Dominic Cummings, Mr Johnson’s chief adviser, wants civil servants to take more responsibility when things go wrong, but the failure of any minister to quit during the coronavirus crisis has heightened tensions. He has also promised that a “hard rain” will fall across Whitehall.

His formal departure is expected to be announced on Tuesday. The Cabinet Office declined to comment.

This is what solicitors do when they can no longer defend their client.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am beyond annoyed at this now. This is an utter **** up. It was anyway, but this man is an absolute disgrace. This was the ‘oven ready deal’ that he presented to the British people in a GE. If there’s something wrong with that deal that HE made, then we should have another GE, as it’s finally been revealed he’s talking through his arse again. Add to that, the sheer brazenness of being willing to not only tear up a withdrawal agreement but also in turn ignore what is an international peace treaty in the GFA; I’m speechless.

‘Brexit deal never made sense’ says man who negotiated it, signed it, prevented MPs from scrutinising it, campaigned for it and won a general election on the back of it.

He wants arrested. I hope the sheep that voted for this process and this man are happy. We’re even more of a laughing stock than we were.

/rant
Last edited by imlikeahermit; 3 weeks ago
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Much to the surprise of dozens of people, I'm sure.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The deal was only a stop-gap until a better deal could be negotiated. As a deal can't be negotiated it's right to opt for the next best thing (no deal). Reneging on a treaty isn't a big deal.

My hope is he remains strong and does follow through on all the threats. The worst move would be caving to anything the EU want. I don't like to call the discussions 'negotiations. Calling them negotiations implies both sides compromise on things. I don't want to see that. I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!
Last edited by Miss Maddie; 3 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
The deal was only a stop-gap until a better deal could be negotiated. As a deal can't be negotiated it's right to opt for the next best thing (no deal). Reneging on a treaty isn't a big deal.

My hope is he remains strong and does follow through on all the threats. The worst move would be caving to anything the EU want. I don't like to call the discussions 'negotiations. Calling them negotiations implies both sides compromise on things. I don't want to see that. I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!
Reneging on a treaty is a very big deal.

I too however hope we come out with a no deal and trash the NI protocol. I want to watch Britain burn.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The EU are acting reasonably all along in my opinion. I am so ashamed of this country and the criminal liar in number 10 that I do my utmost to avoid being seen as English when I am abroad.

The EU also remember his behaviour when the Brussels correspondent of the Daily Telegraph.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
The Government has now confirmed that they do intend to break international law.

https://twitter.com/AdamJSchwarz/sta...07680329740288

Breaking the law is now considered acceptable by our Government.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Biggest load of tosh I’ve read on here, and that includes my posts.

No deal is absolute suicide. Are you dense?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
The Government has now confirmed that they do intend to break international law.

Shocking state of affairs really. Shame he can’t be impeached!
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Shocking state of affairs really. Shame he can’t be impeached!
I just have to keep telling myself, this is what the people voted for.

I hope they are happy.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I just have to keep telling myself, this is what the people voted for.

I hope they are happy.
Exactly the same. What you said earlier is spot on. I want to watch England burn. The working classes voted for this, I want them to see exactly what they’ve done. Racist uneducated sheep.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Biggest load of tosh I’ve read on here, and that includes my posts.

No deal is absolute suicide. Are you dense?
I genuinely believe no deal is the best outcome for all wealthy EU countries. When all countries are trading on a no deal basis they can start implementing agreements that work for them rather than relying on the EU that is constant compromise and dominated by the poor countries.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
I genuinely believe no deal is the best outcome for all wealthy EU countries. When all countries are trading on a no deal basis they can start implementing agreements that work for them rather than relying on the EU that is constant compromise and dominated by the poor countries.
Why bother with agreements if one party can just change their end of the bargain to suit themselves whenever they want?

Would you make deals with someone that can't be trust to keep a promise?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The issue with that is that it is complete fallacy that all countries can trade on their own agreements. If all countries were following our lead and taking themselves out the biggest trading bloc in the world, in order to tailor make trade deals, that would in theory be less damaging, which I believe is what you are saying.

However, that is quite clearly not the case. We are erecting massive barriers to trade, and we are the only one's doing it. The job bloodbath has already begun under Covid and will only get worse when Boris ****s this up even more.

Thirdly, you better get used to being dominated by poor countries because that is the league we are relegating ourselves too. We are making ourselves a complete laughing stock. The world is in disbelief that we are committing economic euthanasia. We are a joke, and the EU owes us absolutely nothing. All for what? Sovereignty? Absolute ********.

Lastly, what is more troubling is that you seem to be absolutely fine with Boris and co breaking international law. What sort of example is that for a government to its citizens? Not to mention, the punishments we will face as a result.

We are a joke, because our people blindly followed a utopian promise, when in fact, nothing was even wrong in the first place. Just those damn immigrants coming over here and stealing jobs, which never happened to begin with.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The issue with that is that it is complete fallacy that all countries can trade on their own agreements. If all countries were following our lead and taking themselves out the biggest trading bloc in the world, in order to tailor make trade deals, that would in theory be less damaging, which I believe is what you are saying.

However, that is quite clearly not the case. We are erecting massive barriers to trade, and we are the only one's doing it. The job bloodbath has already begun under Covid and will only get worse when Boris ****s this up even more.

Thirdly, you better get used to being dominated by poor countries because that is the league we are relegating ourselves too. We are making ourselves a complete laughing stock. The world is in disbelief that we are committing economic euthanasia. We are a joke, and the EU owes us absolutely nothing. All for what? Sovereignty? Absolute ********.

Lastly, what is more troubling is that you seem to be absolutely fine with Boris and co breaking international law. What sort of example is that for a government to its citizens? Not to mention, the punishments we will face as a result.

We are a joke, because our people blindly followed a utopian promise, when in fact, nothing was even wrong in the first place. Just those damn immigrants coming over here and stealing jobs, which never happened to begin with.
You're mistaken. I'm suggesting we get out and ignore European harmony. We wait for the inevitable crumble of the EU. Everything else you said suffers from saying lots of words without substance. No one is a global laughing stocks. That's all nonsense. As too is talk of economic euthanasia.

International law isn't proper law. We're free to break is if it benefits us. As other have done and will continue to do. There aren't any serious punishments to come from it.
Last edited by Miss Maddie; 3 weeks ago
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Now? The Vote Leave campaign broke the law in 2016, and who was a part of this- Dominic Cummings, who now de facto runs the country.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am in agreement with Maddie.

The withdrawal agreement as it stood last year was a blatant land grab by Ireland and as such beyond the politics of getting the process moved on i don't especially care that the government intends to tear it up (though it's more an admission that we are headed for No Deal so why stomach a bit we really hate).

To the wider negotiations i also agree that the government should not relent on the level playing field. There is more benefit in the long run from doing things which breach state aid, procurement and tax rules in the EU than even going around signing trade agreements in my opinion. That is before the intangible sovereignty benefit.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!
Everything in life is a compromise. If you want something, the compromise is you have to make is to pay money in return for the thing you want.

Without compromising you get nothing. What Boris is doing by breaking past agreements is to effectively become a theif. Theives take what they want and make no compromises. Would you do a deal with someone you don't trust? Would you do business with a theif?
Kitten in boots
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Man who has twice been sacked for dishonesty turns out to be dishonest.

It seems that reality is finally catching up with Conservative supporters as it dawns on them that he is a poor leader.

https://www.conservativehome.com/the...gue-table.html
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am beyond annoyed at this now. This is an utter **** up. It was anyway, but this man is an absolute disgrace. This was the ‘oven ready deal’ that he presented to the British people in a GE. If there’s something wrong with that deal that HE made, then we should have another GE, as it’s finally been revealed he’s talking through his arse again. Add to that, the sheer brazenness of being willing to not only tear up a withdrawal agreement but also in turn ignore what is an international peace treaty in the GFA; I’m speechless.

‘Brexit deal never made sense’ says man who negotiated it, signed it, prevented MPs from scrutinising it, campaigned for it and won a general election on the back of it.

He wants arrested. I hope the sheep that voted for this process and this man are happy. We’re even more of a laughing stock than we were.

/rant
This is one thing we agree fully on!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads