Help losing weight

Watch
Native087
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KateUpdate)
hey! I don't mean to be rude, and you have put about it being bad for you in the long run but I'd just like to highlight a couple things that I don't know if you're aware of.

Yes, you're right, caffeine is an amazing way to reduce hunger and stop you from eating, therefore losing weight fast. However, this type of dieting is discouraged for a reason.
If you starve your body, your body will get a shock and enter what is called 'starvation mode'. This means that your metabolism slows down to compensate for the lack of energy coming in. Consequently, when you start eating again, your body will store this food as fat causing you to gain weight and in a lot of cases, you end up with more weight than you started! This is because your body is used to not being fed and doesn't know if it will be fed again, causing it to store the food to ensure survival. It also happens because your metabolism has slowed down to the point that it can't keep up with the food coming in. You might be just chilling in a coffee shop but for all your body knows, you're out in the jungle starving to death so it is taking the steps it thinks is required.

Eating very low-calorie diets for extended amounts of time puts you at risk for malnutrition because it makes it very difficult for you to obtain all the vitamins and minerals through food alone. Additionally, your metabolism drops way down to conserve energy, and your body breaks down valuable muscles and organs in a futile effort to maintain adequate fuel for your brain.

Starving leaves so much uncertainty because first you'll lose weight quickly, then slowly, then you might put some back on just by eating small amounts etc so it's better to lose it over a long period of time where you don't have to worry about all of that. Also, the fact that you're mentioning about feeling faint and sick is not good!

You seem very aware that it isn't good for you, and at the end of the day it is your body and your decision. I just thought I'd bring this to light as I myself have been down that path a few years ago and it really did not work out for me at all.
Thanks for this, all relevant info I should have included. I appreciate it and it's not rude at all.

I am aware it's not good, but the results are astounding for some, including myself. If my memory serves, the body begins to use fat and protein within the body instead of carbohydrates that you normally digest? The fats and proteins are broken down into ATP which the body uses as energy for movement + respiration etc.

If you want to disregard the kinesiology approach all together for the health reasons you listed - I think many would deem it okay to swap breakfast for a black coffee. Or something similar to this<<
When I was losing weight, I also took supplements for vitamins C/B, which again isn't fantastic long-term.

Thanks again
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hey! I don't mean to be rude, and you have put about it being bad for you in the long run but I'd just like to highlight a couple things that I don't know if you're aware of.

Yes, you're right, caffeine is an amazing way to reduce hunger and stop you from eating, therefore losing weight fast. However, this type of dieting is discouraged for a reason.
If you starve your body, your body will get a shock and enter what is called 'starvation mode'. This means that your metabolism slows down to compensate for the lack of energy coming in. Consequently, when you start eating again, your body will store this food as fat causing you to gain weight and in a lot of cases, you end up with more weight than you started! This is because your body is used to not being fed and doesn't know if it will be fed again, causing it to store the food to ensure survival. It also happens because your metabolism has slowed down to the point that it can't keep up with the food coming in. You might be just chilling in a coffee shop but for all your body knows, you're out in the jungle starving to death so it is taking the steps it thinks is required.

Eating very low-calorie diets for extended amounts of time puts you at risk for malnutrition because it makes it very difficult for you to obtain all the vitamins and minerals through food alone. Additionally, your metabolism drops way down to conserve energy, and your body breaks down valuable muscles and organs in a futile effort to maintain adequate fuel for your brain.

Starving leaves so much uncertainty because first you'll lose weight quickly, then slowly, then you might put some back on just by eating small amounts etc so it's better to lose it over a long period of time where you don't have to worry about all of that. Also, the fact that you're mentioning about feeling faint and sick is not good!

You seem very aware that it isn't good for you, and at the end of the day it is your body and your decision. I just thought I'd bring this to light as I myself have been down that path a few years ago and it really did not work out for me at all.
Whilst I agree starving with caffeine is wrong, so is a lot of your information
KateUpdate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
Whilst I agree starving with caffeine is wrong, so is a lot of your information
Hey, could you let me know where I went wrong? That's what I have come to learn about not eating enough but I'm open for being corrected
Doublletrouble
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Irresponsiblee)
So I just found out my BMI says I'm very overweight like 98th centile overweight like 20 pounds away from being 200 type of overweight 😭😭😭 and like I'm soooooooooooooo upset. My weight goal for now is 69kg by the end of the year can y'all give me tips on how to reduce my weight specifically in the beginning of sixth form cuz I stress eat alot and I know year 12 is gonna be stressful and I really don't want to hit that 200 IBS mark just cuz I've been stress eating
Low carb diet - eat less than 50 net carbs a day 30 would be better. Cut all white carbs (bread, pasta, rice, sugar) up your healthy fats (olive oil, avacado, cocunut oil). Exercise lightly for 30 min everyday. I did this lost 10.9 kg in 2 months and 2 weeks. Also make sure you're in a CALORIE DEFICIT i would suggest reducing your calorie intake by 500 to 750 to lose atleast 0.5 to 0.9 kg per week.

Ps. Do your research on net carbs this will really safe you. Also intermittent fasting research about this and thank me later.
Desideri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, could you let me know where I went wrong? That's what I have come to learn about not eating enough but I'm open for being corrected
I agree with you that weight loss should be done in a healthy, sustainable way rather than through dramatic crash diets. And it’s important to eat a balanced diet and avoid malnutrition.

The error with your post is that “starvation mode” isn’t a real thing. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. It’s just physics (energy in versus energy out). If it was real, the children in Yemen who are actually starving would be walking around chubby, not slowly wasting away.

Your metabolism does slow down slightly as you lose weight, but that’s just a natural consequence of weight loss, because smaller bodies need less energy to do every day activities. Just like it uses up less energy to carry a 5kg box than a 10kg box, uses up less energy to walk if you weigh 50kg than if you weigh 100kg.

This article is a bit aggressive, but does explain the science fairly well: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
Last edited by Desideri; 2 weeks ago
KateUpdate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Desideri)
I agree with you that weight loss should be done in a healthy, sustainable way rather than through dramatic crash diets. And it’s important to eat a balanced diet and avoid malnutrition.

The error with your post is that “starvation mode” isn’t a real thing. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. It’s just physics (energy in versus energy out). If it was real, the children in Yemen who are actually starving would be walking around chubby, not slowly wasting away.

Your metabolism does slow down slightly as you lose weight, but that’s just a natural consequence of weight loss, because smaller bodies need less energy to do every day activities. Just like it uses up less energy to carry a 5kg box than a 10kg box, uses up less energy to walk if you weigh 50kg than if you weigh 100kg.

This article is a bit aggressive, but does explain the science fairly well: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
Ahh thanks so much!! I'll give it a read!
nursingstudentuk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Irresponsiblee)
So I just found out my BMI says I'm very overweight like 98th centile overweight like 20 pounds away from being 200 type of overweight 😭😭😭 and like I'm soooooooooooooo upset. My weight goal for now is 69kg by the end of the year can y'all give me tips on how to reduce my weight specifically in the beginning of sixth form cuz I stress eat alot and I know year 12 is gonna be stressful and I really don't want to hit that 200 IBS mark just cuz I've been stress eating
I know its upsetting but dont worry! Its good that you want to set yoursefl a goal. Try not to focus too much on the actual numbers, just make sure you are eating the right foods, and the right amounts (only having treats from time to time), then your body will sort itself out to be whatever the correct weight is for you. Perhaps you could go to your doctor and get some advice and resources from there? We are here for you, good luck girlie :hugs:
Ramipril
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Calories in, calories out.
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seems someone already has
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I have damaged my metabolism before and had to see a nutritionist to build it back up.
You can eat below 1200 calories but seeing as she is only Year 12 I thought it would be best that she didn't unless really needed to. In that case, it's always better to consult a doctor before drastically decreasing calories like that anyway.
As for spot reducing fat, yes, I know that is basically a myth but I mentioned my legs being more toned as it was one of the biggest things I noticed about my body as I started to skip and run more. I didn't mean that it was the only thing that changed, maybe I should have been more specific with that.
As for green tea, it is an excellent source of antioxidants (one of the best tea's for it) and not to mention another good way to get water into the body! I also find that green tea tends to destress me, and there are a lot of claims about that being an effect of green tea. As she is doing A Levels I thought that it would just be a small thing to help with the stress as it did for me. Especially as stress can often lead to weight gain. As well as this, it is said to help promote fat loss. Obviously, that is still debateable until proper research has been carried out but you can't really go wrong by drinking it anyways.
Hope this helped clear things up
Your metabolism wasn't damaged, just your NEAT was significantly reduced. Being in year 12 has no effect on her TDEE, if she burns 1500 kcals a day then she can eat 1000kcals a day with no problem. Yes as you said there is no clear evidence that green tea increases your metabolic rate by a significant amount.
ashpritgcse2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
PLEASE do not eat low carb diets. they are good only for losing w a t e r w e i g h t that makes fat look worse and more bloatyish. keep carbs average and eat high protein foods as they up metabolism.keep fats low and green tea does help a bit but wont contribute too much. the main thing that will contribute is the calorie deficit and exercise especially if you cant reach a deficit. fat loss is quite hard to actually do unless you have good genetics but 10kg loss in 2 months is good but hard to do. aim for 0.5-1kg of weight loss and keep calories in moderation : average for ppl is 2000 but you should eat 1800 -1300 for fat loss
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (24)
23.76%
No (77)
76.24%

Watched Threads