BLM performance on Britain’s got talent sparks complaints

Watch
N. Auditoré
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ascend)
How incredibly dishonest. You were referring to the newsreader who used the word in an innocent context to relay the news. They did not call you a ******.

Similarly, the BLM performance used the murder of George Floyd in an innocent context to relay a social justice message. They did not actually fatally kneel on someone's neck.

The fragile snowflakes here are both camps who are offended over these non-offensive instances.
There is no innocent way to say the n-word if you’re not white. There is no reason why she couldn’t just say ‘n-word’ ???? It’s just a word why is it so difficult for non-black ppl to just not say this gosh.

Trying to compare a word used to address slaves and reduce the humanity of black people to........ a black man being murdered????? What is this.........

I’m a fragile snowflake because I don’t want to see a white person saying the n-word on TV ???????? And this is in the same category as white people being offended that a man was killed by racist cops? I’m exhausted.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by N. Auditoré)
Do you have another way for me to describe a fact????? You are all bringing up irrelevant counters to my point. Whether or not i used the term BAME in a discussion of likelihood towards racism’s has nothing to do with being monotonous 😒 do you have a more politically acceptable term since it’s SOOOO offensive.
Yes, truthfully.
Pray tell where the "irrelevance" is..?
You're the one saying its offensive, i'm merely pointing out it is both ignorant and ironic.
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
That says it all.

Racism is just a manifestation of us and them - and you've got the bug nicely.
So I’m a racist because I referred to black people as ‘my people’ lol okay sweetie x
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Yes, truthfully.
Pray tell where the "irrelevance" is..?
You're the one saying its offensive, i'm merely pointing out it is both ignorant and ironic.
My point was simple:

Black people are not monotonous i.e. we have different opinions

but

All ethnic minorities are more likely to be victims of racism (this is true).

So i used a term which categorises ethnic minorities to butress this

You called it ‘ironic’ but i am informing you that your point makes no sense because:

Whether or not black people are monotonous has nothing to do with their likelihood of being a victim of racism as my point was going towards. They are monotonous but different minorities are still victims of racism so how is it ironic for me to use minorities as an umbrella term when it is true? What does that have to do with my point ?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This point is silly as in the current situation it was used the term BAME has nothing to do with whether or not someone is monotonous. I said ethnic minorities are more likely to be victims of racism (this is true). And then i listed them. So what does that have to do with their likelihood towards victimhood????? Is it because they aren’t monotonous that they are victims???? Bridge the gap
Please learn the difference between monotonous (what this discussion is) and homogenous.
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
EDIT #1: Those arguing that the broadcasters ought to show balance need to distinguish between a public broadcaster with impartiality rules and a private companies that can present whatever it legally wants to. Why don't ITV deserve to make decisions for themselves?
This is an argument very commonly employed by people on the left when attempting to justify discrimination and bias, by private companies and institutions, that works in their favour. It's a flawed argument that exposes not only the bias and double standards of people on the left, but also their contradictory nature. They oppose discrimination where it does not benefit them then turn around, justify, trivialise and support the very same, exact discrimination where it does.

If this same private television company had made a show about a group dancing in support of for example 'White Lives Matter', leftists would not only be submitting complaints but be up in arms, in the streets, attacking people, looting stores and destroying public and private property, demanding the show be cancelled, the group be killed and the private television company be censored!!!...with no regard whatsoever for their aforementioned 'this is a private company it should be able to present whatever it wants to' principle.

Hypocrisy.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 2 weeks ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
This is an argument very commonly employed by people on the left when attempting to justify discrimination and bias, by private companies and institutions, that works in their favour. It's a flawed argument that exposes not only the bias and double standards of people on the left, but also their contradictory nature. They oppose discrimination where it does not benefit them then turn around, justify, trivialise and support the very same, exact discrimination it where it does.

If this same private television company had made a show about a group dancing in support of for example 'White Lives Matter', leftists would not only be submitting complaints but be up in arms, in the streets, attacking people, looting stores and destroying public and private property, demanding the show be cancelled, the group be killed and the private television company be censored!!!...with no regard whatsoever for their aforementioned 'this is a private company it should be able to present whatever it wants to' principle.

Hypocrisy.
Are you accusing me of being hypocritical, or are you accusing the undefined "left"?

If ITV wish to produce an entire television show about a dance troupe creating art based on White Lives Matter, they're entitled to. I'd imagine the show would be a flop and I'd imagine they'd receive many more complaints than they have over this. As such, I can understand why they haven't created that television show. Nor have they created a television show in this case either - this is an independent dance company performing a 3 minute piece on an existing television programme which (as has been the case for centuries) delivers a socio-political message through art. It isn't correct to say that ITV were responsible for the choreography, it is correct to say that provided a platform for the dance to be seen by many - and they undoubtedly knew what it contained too. If the performers and producers were happy, they have a right to broadcast it - unless you can point me toward a law that says otherwise.

So whoever you're accusing of hypocrisy, it isn't me. My philosophy is pretty simply if you don't like it, switch it off.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So I’m a racist because I referred to black people as ‘my people’ lol okay sweetie x
Basically.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(also most of the businesses burnt were chains with ties to racist or homophobic funding so i could care less e.g. chick-fil-a or target)
Please can you show the evidence that suggests that the majority were racist or homophobic chains.
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Please can you show the evidence that suggests that the majority were racist or homophobic chains.
Anecdotal, only speaking from the riots that i saw as I’m not omnipotent, also I’m not implying that they were targeted for those reasons, just happened to be coincidental. You can google the businesses affected and you’ll find a paper trail that sees them donate to bigoted parties (like the aforementioned)
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Basically.
So what am I supposed to call them, aliens? I guess Britain is racist, nationalist country too for trying to enforce ‘British’ values as not everyone here is British 😍. Oh also every single company is discrimatory for referring to their workers as their employees too! Its a whole lotta racism over here !
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So what am I supposed to call them, aliens? I guess Britain is racist, nationalist country too for trying to enforce ‘British’ values as not everyone here is British 😍. Oh also every single company is discrimatory for referring to their workers as their employees too! Its a whole lotta racism over here !
Employees is a legally defined term used in acts of legislation - I don't see what's discriminatory about companies/employers referring to employees as such. The term worker has different legal ramifications to employee I believe, so you can't really be both as part of the same employment contract. If you had two jobs you could be a worker in one and an employee in another I suppose - but this is generally unlikely.

There are many people who feel the British Value curriculum is nationalistic and frankly a bit silly.

You called black people, black people, earlier. I didn't see anyone complaining about that. Whilst I wouldn't describe "my people" as particularly offensive, it does sort of assume that all of the people belong to you in some way - which I'm guessing isn't the case.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nationalist yes, racist no, because British =/= white.

You can find a million different ways to group people and to form your identity, If race is your choice that's fine, own it.
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nationalist yes, racist no, because British =/= white.

You can find a million different ways to group people and to form your identity, If race is your choice that's fine, own it.
I’m sure a lot of nationalists who tell minorities to ‘go back to their country’ would disagree with you.

Well, I’m black. Other people are black, we are of the same race. Maybe it’s because you wouldn’t understand the culture of others but in Africa i grew up with a more ‘communal’ outlook on how we view people. If it’s racist that i refer to other black people as part of a diverse community with me then I’ll be a racist till i die. I will own this ‘racism’ happily.
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Employees is a legally defined term used in acts of legislation - I don't see what's discriminatory about companies/employers referring to employees as such. The term worker has different legal ramifications to employee I believe, so you can't really be both as part of the same employment contract. If you had two jobs you could be a worker in one and an employee in another I suppose - but this is generally unlikely.

There are many people who feel the British Value curriculum is nationalistic and frankly a bit silly.

You called black people, black people, earlier. I didn't see anyone complaining about that. Whilst I wouldn't describe "my people" as particularly offensive, it does sort of assume that all of the people belong to you in some way - which I'm guessing isn't the case.
I didn’t say ‘my people’ in the sense that they belong to *me* but rather that i belong to the same group as *them*. The same way someone from a city would refer to it as ‘my hometown’.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I didn’t say ‘my people’ in the sense that they belong to *me* but rather that i belong to the same group as *them*. The same way someone from a city would refer to it as ‘my hometown’.
Yes I understand that (as I wrote in the post you're quoting), this doesn't stop the phrase coming across to others in a different way to the one you intended - which is why there's now at least two of us suggesting that the term "black people" is more suitable than "my people" to describe the same group.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m sure a lot of nationalists who tell minorities to ‘go back to their country’ would disagree with you.

Well, I’m black. Other people are black, we are of the same race. Maybe it’s because you wouldn’t understand the culture of others but in Africa i grew up with a more ‘communal’ outlook on how we view people. If it’s racist that i refer to other black people as part of a diverse community with me then I’ll be a racist till i die. I will own this ‘racism’ happily.
why would I care what a bunch of racists think? (the nationalists you mentioned)

Your right though - I don't understand others, you can tell that based on the color of my skin and where I was born.

What I can do though, is add 2+2 together. And If I see someone define groups based on race, then make negative presumptions about them based on their race.. I come to the answer, = racism.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes I understand that (as I wrote in the post you're quoting), this doesn't stop the phrase coming across to others in a different way to the one you intended - which is why there's now at least two of us suggesting that the term "black people" is more suitable than "my people" to describe the same group.
For me, the problem with using 'my people' referring to other races isn't to do with possessiveness or anything, its more to do with history and the lessons we have (or are supposed to have) learned.

The distinction between say using 'My people' for race, compared to the other examples (employees, people from the same town, hair colour, families etc) is that generally speaking the rest of them don't have a history of people using the devision to dehumanize and commit atrocities against those who are not 'their people'

If we have learned anything from our racial history its that defining our selves into groups based on race primarily, and extending that to form our identity and judge others, is a really dangerous thing to do. One thing that I agree with in terms of progressive racial politics is that history still has power in the present, and that is why its so dangerous to re-learn the divisive language of the past.

I am British - that is the loosest category of 'my people' that I would ever imagine using, and even then I don't like saying 'my people' about my nation. But as a British person, the last 100 years of progress have brought us to the point where all races and minorities are included in 'British' and are included in 'My people' (if I am to use that), we are all British, and all together. We have a few issues still to sort out, but we are a single thing.

If we start to go back to (within the nation), ' my people are white, your people are black' etc. We are taking a huge step back towards a way of catagorizing people that has an incredibly dangerous history.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 2 weeks ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For me, the problem with using 'my people' referring to other races isn't to do with possessiveness or anything, its more to do with history and the lessons we have (or are supposed to have) learned.

The distinction between say using 'My people' for race, compared to the other examples (employees, people from the same town, hair colour, families etc) is that generally speaking the rest of them don't have a history of people using the devision to dehumanize and commit atrocities against those who are not 'their people'

If we have learned anything from our racial history its that defining our selves into groups based on race, is a really bad and dangerous thing to do. One thing that I agree with in terms of progressive racial politics is that history still has power in the present, and that is why its so dangerous to re-learn the divisive language of the past.

I am British - that is the loosest category of 'my people' that I would ever imagine using, and even then I don't like saying 'my people' about my nation. But as a British person, the last 100 years of progress have brought us to the point where all races and minorities are included in 'British' and are included in 'My people' (if I am to use that), we are all British, and all together. We have a few issues still to sort out, but we are a single thing.

If we start to go back to, ' my people are white, your people are black' etc. We are taking a huge step back towards a way of catagorizing people that has an incredibly dangerous history.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If we have learned anything from our racial history its that defining our selves into groups based on race, is a really bad and dangerous thing to do. One thing that I agree with in terms of progressive racial politics is that history still has power in the present, and that is why its so dangerous to re-learn the divisive language of the past.
And that is a much wider debate than this thread can afford to have (whether society would be better celebrating our racial diversity - and therefore emphasising it - or treating our differences as unsubstantial).
But as a British person, the last 100 years of progress have brought us to the point where all races and minorities are included in 'British' and are included in 'My people'
You're very optimistic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (79)
21.94%
No (281)
78.06%

Watched Threads