The Student Room Group

3 lectures a day?

Hey, I currently have to pick out courses and was wondering whether anyone has experience with that. Is it manageable to have 3 lectures a day or is this too much?
I want to do all three courses and at this day, they nearly overlap. One course goes from 13:00 - 15:00 and the other one from 15:00 to 17:00. Is this manageable or ridiculous?
Original post by kirachan
Hey, I currently have to pick out courses and was wondering whether anyone has experience with that. Is it manageable to have 3 lectures a day or is this too much?
I want to do all three courses and at this day, they nearly overlap. One course goes from 13:00 - 15:00 and the other one from 15:00 to 17:00. Is this manageable or ridiculous?

lectures can finish a bit before the end to give you time to get to other ones, it would likely be an issue if they are quite a distance from each other on campus and you'd then need to quietly go into the room.
Two hour lectures sound bad, sure they're not seminars?
Reply 3
Original post by Matt14451
Two hour lectures sound bad, sure they're not seminars?

Yep, I´m sure. I´d only be 1 hour lecture, but then I´d had to run to the other lecture, which is 2 hours long :/
Reply 4
Solid lectures/labs 9-5 (with an hour for lunch and Wednesday afternoon off)) used to be standard for people studying engineering. I'm sure you can manage it.
Reply 5
3 lectures is easily doable, it's not that much really.
I’ve frequently had 3+ lectures on one day, although not every day. It might be tiring but it’s manageable and quite normal.
definitely doable. it might exhaust you (it definitely would me lol) but you’ll manage.
Reply 8
3 hours worth of lectures in a day is fairly standard really. Unless your studying a course that is heavily reading based i.e. English Lit, you should expect a fairly lecture heavy week as you're learning the material from the lectures (and background reading). As you progress through university, the workload will get more intense as the topics become more complex, so 3 hours is not very much. Remember that secondary school / sixth form would have been ~6 hours a day every day of the week.

Yes its manageable. This should be no problem at all.
I used to have 3 lecture days all the time (sometimes more).
Reply 10
Nope, only one day :smile: I´m just worried because the 2 courses are at different schools, so I´ll probably have to run, which isn´t that nice. But both are the courses I like :biggrin:
I’ve had 3-6 lectures a day on a 5-day basis per week before so 3 doesn’t sound awful from my perspective :laugh:

Hi!

It is definitely manageable! I had many lectures that overlap :smile: They usually finish early anyways which gives you time :smile:

Marlena - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 13
Niiice :biggrin: Your professor sound really chill. Well, I guess it´s normal that classes nearly overlap. I´ll just walk a bit faster to the other class

A nominal one-hour lecture slot typically contains a 50-minute lecture. When I was a student the lecture conventionally started at 5 minutes past the hour and ran till five minutes to -- so a 10-11 lecture started at 10:05 and finished at 10:55, leaving 10 mins to get to the next lecture.

With a two-hour lecture, most lecturers are aware that it's not possible to concentrate solidly for the whole session, and in my experience will typically give a 5-minute break approximately half-way through.

Quick Reply

Latest