INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
If I apply for economics but my personal statement is geared towards history and economics would this put me at a disadvantage, or lead to an unsuccessful offer or a course change.

I already have my grades which are A*AB
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Very good grades well done. I think you’ll be fine as long as you meet the entry requirements. Unis are aware people apply for different courses so I think you’re fine
INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Rep:
?
Thanks! Are you sure? I’m very paranoid because I’ll be taking a gap year so don’t want to be missing out.

I’ll just give a quick breakdown:
Grades:
Business Studies-A*
Economics-A
History-B

Desired Undergrad course- Economics/Political Economy

Personal Statement- Geared towards history and economics

Potential Universities:
UCL- HPE- Needs AAA- Was rejected on results day
LSE- Economic History- Needs AAB- Poor social life and very competitive. Exceed the grades but am aware I have a narrow subject path that they look down on.
KCL- History and Political Economy- Needs AAA- Currently firmed and on course to study
KCL-Political Economy- Needs A*AA
Manchester-BAEcon- Needs AAB
Manchester- Modern History with Economics-ABB
St Andrews- MAEconomics- Needs AAA
Edinburgh/Glasgow/Exeter also thinking but not sure

So looking at this I have courses with history to be safe however I do not want to study this. Ideally I would prefer to study pure economics or political economy. Would my personal statement having both put me at a disadvantage?

(Original post by Eaphysics)
Very good grades well done. I think you’ll be fine as long as you meet the entry requirements. Unis are aware people apply for different courses so I think you’re fine
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I’m very impressed. Surprised those unis rejected you. They’re missing out. If the course is totally different I would change your personal statement to be on the safe side. What’s your reason for taking a gap year?
INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Rep:
?
If I apply for economics but my personal statement is geared towards history and economics would this put me at a disadvantage, or lead to an unsuccessful offer or a course change bearing in mind I already have the grades.

Grades:
Business Studies-A*
Economics-A
History-B

Potential Universities:
LSE- Economic History- Needs AAB- Poor social life and very competitive. Exceed the grades but am aware I have a narrow subject path that they look down on.
KCL- History and Political Economy- Needs AAA- Currently firmed and on course to study

So looking at this I have courses with history to be safe however I do not want to study this. Ideally I would prefer to study pure economics or political economy. Would my personal statement having both put me at a disadvantage?
Sarvienn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello,

I assume you've gotten your results this year and although having KCL as a firmed choice, you're looking to reapply to another (possibly higher ranked) uni?
Also, please do note that UCL may not accept a higher grade in one subject to make up for a lower grade in another so if you do plan to reapply there, it might be worth to consider a resit in the B subject you've achieved. Now, onto the actual question..
Yes and No. Yes, it will hold you back if you show focus into history because some unis for which you apply for may not have the history component of it within their university modules, so they will consider that both your interests are not aligned together.
But there is a way around this. Incorporate something you know about history into Economics, but show that you're also intrigued by the economics of things, as to any focus with history, Economics at university would require lots of mathematical knowledge and interest, so do include that. You can always merge these 3 topics and come up with a critical reasoning, discussing something you've read about or learnt through an online course. Merge them, bring out a flow and go on with it. That'll really help.
INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarvienn)
Hello,

I assume you've gotten your results this year and although having KCL as a firmed choice, you're looking to reapply to another (possibly higher ranked) uni?
Also, please do note that UCL may not accept a higher grade in one subject to make up for a lower grade in another so if you do plan to reapply there, it might be worth to consider a resit in the B subject you've achieved. Now, onto the actual question..
Yes and No. Yes, it will hold you back if you show focus into history because some unis for which you apply for may not have the history component of it within their university modules, so they will consider that both your interests are not aligned together.
But there is a way around this. Incorporate something you know about history into Economics, but show that you're also intrigued by the economics of things, as to any focus with history, Economics at university would require lots of mathematical knowledge and interest, so do include that. You can always merge these 3 topics and come up with a critical reasoning, discussing something you've read about or learnt through an online course. Merge them, bring out a flow and go on with it. That'll really help.
Hi,

So firstly no. UCL was my firm but I was rejected on results day with A*AB. They wanted the last A. KCL was my insurance and they rejected me then gave me back my offer after.

Secondly the Economics/Political Economy courses I have chosen do not require maths as they are BA’s.

Thirdly, I have more things to write about history in a personal statement however can incorporate some economics. I’ll need to make it 50/50. This year it had a small part of economics. I’ll need to find things to add in, one being should I take a gap year my school have said I can come back as a volunteer and help teach in the department.

lastly I would apply to some with history to guarantee but ideally want to do pure econ. So maybe 2 courses with history and Econ and 3 just econ/Political Economy. The kcl offer I have to study from this month is history and Political Economy but Political Economy is the course I want to actually study but they can’t switch it now but maybe at the start of the year once teaching starts. However if I wait till then I’ll be tied down to this so I’ll be doing something I don’t particularly want to do, I’ll prefer without history or if I drop out I’d waste time and have to pay a lot of money still for whether they make me pay for the semester or year
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by INEEDHELP.PLEASE)
Thanks! Are you sure? I’m very paranoid because I’ll be taking a gap year so don’t want to be missing out.

Grades:
Business Studies-A*
Economics-A
History-B

Potential Universities:

A PS is one part of your application. It's best to have a PS focused on your course choice and not go too wide/varied
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

Grades:
Business Studies-A*
Economics-A
History-B

Potential Universities:

Just curious, wdym by “LSE poor social life”?
INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Rep:
?
From what I’ve read from people and 3 cousins who went to LSE said that the social life at LSE is so poor and that student satisfaction is so poor. As well as going for a degree I would also like to have a good balance with my social life
(Original post by Panjsuce)
Just curious, wdym by “LSE poor social life”?
INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
A PS is one part of your application. It's best to have a PS focused on your course choice and not go too wide/varied
So would it be damaging to me if I apply for Economics but had a PS geared towards history and economics. This is because some of my courses has history.

LSE- Economic History
UCL-HPE
KCL-Political Economy
Manchester-Economics

So because I have some with and without history would it hurt me in terms of getting an offer bearing in mind I’ve already got the grades
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
So would it be damaging to me if I apply for Economics but had a PS geared towards history and economics. This is because some of my courses has history.

LSE- Economic History
UCL-HPE
KCL-Political Economy
Manchester-Economics

So because I have some with and without history would it hurt me in terms of getting an offer bearing in mind I’ve already got the grades
It certainly could be tricky for the unis where you only apply for economics, and could impact on you getting an offer. It's not clear-cut though
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
From what I’ve read from people and 3 cousins who went to LSE said that the social life at LSE is so poor and that student satisfaction is so poor. As well as going for a degree I would also like to have a good balance with my social life
I’ve heard it feels more like a ‘business’ than a university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.48%
Uncertainty around my education (61)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (64)
12.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (69)
13.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (29)
5.48%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (24)
4.54%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (56)
10.59%
Financial worries (32)
6.05%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.78%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
6.24%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.84%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (53)
10.02%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (44)
8.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed