The Student Room Group

Doing GCSEs during uni?

Hey! I want to resit GCSE English Language. I got a 4 previously and would like to sit it this November and get a 6 or higher. As some of you might know I will be starting my Physics degree at Kings. So what happens if the exam clashes with a class or seminar or Len session of mine? what do I do?

Thanks!!
you just miss the lecture (mostly you can watch them online anyway, at any point) or you tell your tutor leader you can't attend and try and arrange to go into another tutors class. People do miss tutorials occasionally - work interviews/funerals/sickness etc.
But why tho?

Catherine1973 has it right. Attendance is rarely penalised for one-offs. If you have an exam clash, then that's just tough luck/you'll have to talk it out and hope they accept your reason to sit it at another time.
Original post by Catherine1973
you just miss the lecture (mostly you can watch them online anyway, at any point) or you tell your tutor leader you can't attend and try and arrange to go into another tutors class. People do miss tutorials occasionally - work interviews/funerals/sickness etc.

I was planning on doing the exam a bit later tbh? Like ask the exam center if I could sit the exam a bit later

And the lectures are online anyway which we can watch in our own time. But the seminars and lab sessions are REALLY important.
Original post by bored_user:)
I was planning on doing the exam a bit later tbh? Like ask the exam center if I could sit the exam a bit later

And the lectures are online anyway which we can watch in our own time. But the seminars and lab sessions are REALLY important.

Exam board rules won't allow you to sit the exam later :nope: The only valid reason for sitting the exam later would be if you had an exam clash with a different GCSE or A level.
Why do you want to resit if you've got your uni place though? This wouldn't usually be recommended...
Most unis/courses will hold the same session multiple times...for instance even for my smallest module last year there were 12 choices of tutorial (labs wouldn't have this much choice, but I'd expect them to have some), a few were run at the same time/clashed with things from other modules, but I would have been able to reschedule any I wanted easily, national exams aren't changed so simply.
Be aware with covid restrictions this may be more difficult, you may have to find someone to swap with for numbers reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest