The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snowfox83
I don’t know if you have a car? If you do depending on the model it will cost around 15-20 pound a day to go back and forth, and the traffic is horrible in the morning :-/

If you take a train, I think you can go from Waverley to stirling :-) I don’t know from stirling train station to the uni though but I am sure there is busses :-)

Of course you will make friends :-) no doubt there is 10000 people there so I can’t see that being a problem :-)

I can drive a car but i’m not really comfortable with motorways just yet ahaha but i was planning on going on a train after first year if i don’t enjoy living in halls as not everyone does.

I do have friends that are planning on commuting using a car so i was thinking i might stick with them for 2nd year if i don’t enjoy it.

i think gap year kinda makes u lose ur social skills and i think i’m afraid of that and mostly what if i don’t get along with my flat mates but i’m hoping it’s a good experience for both is
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
The halls I can imagine are not for everyone's taste, it is not for me I must say. I do like meeting new people and have good talks and socialize, but I am not that keen on drinking or have constantly had to try and "fit" in.. Hard to explain, but I like meeting other people but I don't like it when I kind of have to feel forced to fit in.. I hope that makes sentence.. gulp..

I think uni in general, is what every person wants it to be.. If is drinking to the early morning, there is a group for that, if it's meeting new people there plenty, if it's to study and otherwise have some good conversations and enjoy the studies there is a group for that.. I really think that uni will be what you want it to be really.. And yes sometimes we need to get a little out of our shell and take a leap to enjoy life, as long as it does not interfere what we believe in as morals and guidelines as a person..

If I may be a little blunt, but I think a gap year is healthy, it can mature a person and be an eye-opener i think..

I really don't think you should worry so much, I think it will be a great experience with lots of new friendships and enjoyment to look forward too.
The halls I can imagine are not for everyone's taste, it is not for me I must say. I do like meeting new people and have good talks and socialize, but I am not that keen on drinking or have constantly had to try and "fit" in.. Hard to explain, but I like meeting other people but I don't like it when I kind of have to feel forced to fit in.. I hope that makes sentence.. gulp..

I think uni in general, is what every person wants it to be.. If is drinking to the early morning, there is a group for that, if it's meeting new people there plenty, if it's to study and otherwise have some good conversations and enjoy the studies there is a group for that.. I really think that uni will be what you want it to be really.. And yes sometimes we need to get a little out of our shell and take a leap to enjoy life, as long as it does not interfere what we believe in as morals and guidelines as a person..

If I may be a little blunt, but I think a gap year is healthy, it can mature a person and be an eye-opener i think..

I really don't think you should worry so much, I think it will be a great experience with lots of new friendships and enjoyment to look forward too.

I completely agree! I hate conforming i hate seeing people conform and change values to fit in with other it makes me feel sad to see that. i feel like halls are pretty much that situation where i might feel like i need to be a heavy party person so i can fit in with other people and stuff which is what i am not comfortable with.

i agree with the gap year it has matured me so so soooo much if i went to uni at 18 i do think i would be just like every person in uni thinking about partying and stuff but now at 20 that’s definitely not my priority anymore. I am much more keen on working hard and making the most of my degree lol and i enjoy my own time much more now. My social battery runs out so much more quickly then it used to be so hopefully i’ll find people who are like me.

If i don’t enjoy halls i’m definitely not looking forward to travelling for an hour but i guess i will have to do it.
Do you live by yourself in Edinburgh? Because you could worse case always rent in Stirling? As a private person? Or even Falkirk that is a bit cheaper?

I saw on stirlings unis flats.. and they are quit expensive for what you get really :-/ or you could flat share private maybe and see how that goes?

Stirling city Center is very very small compared to Edinburgh of course, but it really has everything from clothing to boots cafes restaurants etc, at high street and thistle centre ( quit nice looking and open inside) that could be an idea.

If I am around people I like, that is sort of like minded about how to socially be like me, that will more say eating good food or enjoy a cup of coffee or what it might be, then I truly enjoy it, esp if they have different opinions and like talked about them so I can broaden my mind :-) but to sit and drink and hear overly loud music that I can’t really so much more, the funny thing is, it was in Sinai I started to change to more sit and chill and play backgammon and drink tea and smoke shiza to the early morning :-) I found it so enlightening to meet other people that is like too :-)
Do you live by yourself in Edinburgh? Because you could worse case always rent in Stirling? As a private person? Or even Falkirk that is a bit cheaper?

I saw on stirlings unis flats.. and they are quit expensive for what you get really :-/ or you could flat share private maybe and see how that goes?

Stirling city Center is very very small compared to Edinburgh of course, but it really has everything from clothing to boots cafes restaurants etc, at high street and thistle centre ( quit nice looking and open inside) that could be an idea.

If I am around people I like, that is sort of like minded about how to socially be like me, that will more say eating good food or enjoy a cup of coffee or what it might be, then I truly enjoy it, esp if they have different opinions and like talked about them so I can broaden my mind :-) but to sit and drink and hear overly loud music that I can’t really so much more, the funny thing is, it was in Sinai I started to change to more sit and chill and play backgammon and drink tea and smoke shiza to the early morning :-) I found it so enlightening to meet other people that is like too :-)

unfortunately i’m just turning 20 this month i’m still just a broke teenager so living with my parents. i wouldn’t be able to rent without the help of saas so i’d have to make do. Also i agree i think the accommodation is quite expensive tbh 158 for en-suite it’s kinda ridiculous that’s as expensive as most places in edinburgh and stirling is a tiny city? l

i get that honestly i prefer being by myself and doing my own think enjoying my own company and stuff. it’s always nice to see how many diff perspective their are in the world that new people bring to the table
Ha ha ha :-D it does have its benefits to live at home :-) you are getting dinner made, washing done and no bills XD

Hmm Stirling is not small in that way, there are a really good high street with really nice shops I think and it’s reality big, the thistle centre is nice too I think with a good mixture of shops from all the known shops and quit big in a way.. it’s bigger then Camalon shopping Center in Edinburgh, bigger then ocean terminal and wee bit small then the one at Princess street where John Lewis is, but I haven’t been there for a very long time though.

I would say since I live in between Falkirk and Stirling I would not need to go to either glasgow or Edinburgh since it’s all here :-) but it’s not Edinburgh seize :-)

Solitude can be a blessing for sure and gives some sort of perspective:-)

My I am ask if you are a male or female? Because there is different pressure on each gender from the outside?
Ha ha ha :-D it does have its benefits to live at home :-) you are getting dinner made, washing done and no bills XD

Hmm Stirling is not small in that way, there are a really good high street with really nice shops I think and it’s reality big, the thistle centre is nice too I think with a good mixture of shops from all the known shops and quit big in a way.. it’s bigger then Camalon shopping Center in Edinburgh, bigger then ocean terminal and wee bit small then the one at Princess street where John Lewis is, but I haven’t been there for a very long time though.

I would say since I live in between Falkirk and Stirling I would not need to go to either glasgow or Edinburgh since it’s all here :-) but it’s not Edinburgh seize :-)

Solitude can be a blessing for sure and gives some sort of perspective:-)

My I am ask if you are a male or female? Because there is different pressure on each gender from the outside?

I am a female so that’s another thing i have to keep my safety in mind. i do enjoy living at home i have a pet bird and it’s super attached to me i’m very anxious leaving him alone as i have no siblings.

I think i’ll be visiting Edinburgh for most of my shopping as it’s my hometown i have to come in for my pet and go meet my family so it’ll not be a problem most of the time and it’s not that far away just an hour. Most of the basics would probs still be in stirling thats all that matter.

I have another question have you received a conformation email from stirling? i have accepted the offer and haven’t heard back anything ?
I am more then sure you will be safe :-) I can’t see anything uncomfortable will happen at the uni :-) so I would not worry about that part :-)

Awww what kind of bird :-D awww

They have pet stores to at the bottom of the high street :-)

Yes I have I got a unconditional offer and when I withdraw my application for Edinburgh the next day I got a confirmation email and my stirling portal changed :-) but I am in the biology department so it might be a little different in the law on how they do things :-)

Don’t worry so :-) everything will be amazing for you and a amazing experience I am sure of :-D
I am more then sure you will be safe :-) I can’t see anything uncomfortable will happen at the uni :-) so I would not worry about that part :-)

Awww what kind of bird :-D awww

They have pet stores to at the bottom of the high street :-)

Yes I have I got a unconditional offer and when I withdraw my application for Edinburgh the next day I got a confirmation email and my stirling portal changed :-) but I am in the biology department so it might be a little different in the law on how they do things :-)

Don’t worry so :-) everything will be amazing for you and a amazing experience I am sure of :-D

i accepted the offer and my portal is not changing its super annoying. I’ve got a wee cockatiel I wish i could bring him with me, he’s super attached to me and i hate the thought of leaving him behind:frown: but i gotta do it. Yes i hope we will have an amazing experience hopefully.
When you say bring him with you, where you not going to commute back and forth every day? or have I misunderstood you?

he sounds quite cute hi hi

Strange it hasn't changed, maybe it will soon, I would say if it has not changed at the end of the month, then differently try and call and ask why it hasn't changed?

I got an email today from Stirling, saying they are having a virtual meeting in law to ask questions etc, I am not going to attend it since I am biology but if you got that mail too, then I would say differently do it, it could make it a bit easier for you if you have questions are anything?
When you say bring him with you, where you not going to commute back and forth every day? or have I misunderstood you?

he sounds quite cute hi hi

Strange it hasn't changed, maybe it will soon, I would say if it has not changed at the end of the month, then differently try and call and ask why it hasn't changed?

I got an email today from Stirling, saying they are having a virtual meeting in law to ask questions etc, I am not going to attend it since I am biology but if you got that mail too, then I would say differently do it, it could make it a bit easier for you if you have questions are anything?

i would defo want to attend that ? should i email them and ask why my portal hasn’t changed? it’s been days since i accepted the offer. No he would stay at home if i travel i could just come back to him. he’s adorable i love him. i have accepted the offer since 1 may!!
Sorry for long response:-( I have got the flu and have just been in bed sleeping really :-( I hate getting a flu! It’s so annoying because I feel like a train wreck every time :-( :-(

But yes try and call them and see what they say, it could be something simple as pressing a button from their side :-)

He sounds quite cute :-D

Only 3 months left to it starts, I am so excited:-D
Sorry for long response:-( I have got the flu and have just been in bed sleeping really :-( I hate getting a flu! It’s so annoying because I feel like a train wreck every time :-( :-(

But yes try and call them and see what they say, it could be something simple as pressing a button from their side :-)

He sounds quite cute :-D

Only 3 months left to it starts, I am so excited:-D

no worries awe that’s horrible i hope you feel better soon!
I did end up finally having my portal updated after ages so that’s sorted.
That actually makes me nervous i hope i get my first choice of accommodation hopefully! you’re lucky you can always go back home!
Still feel like I have been thrown under a bus, but I am glad it is not covid.

yes! that is amazing, so you are now 100 percent in but this time with an updated portal ha ha

I think I am confused, I thought you were going to stay in Edinburgh? But I am very very glad for you, then it's just keeping those fingers crossed, it will be good for you, it is a big step but it will be healthy and exciting for you, I kind of have liked it if I had my own accommodation to, but it would be silly to so living so close and all.

It will so much fun every day, I am so excited I
Still feel like I have been thrown under a bus, but I am glad it is not covid.

yes! that is amazing, so you are now 100 percent in but this time with an updated portal ha ha

I think I am confused, I thought you were going to stay in Edinburgh? But I am very very glad for you, then it's just keeping those fingers crossed, it will be good for you, it is a big step but it will be healthy and exciting for you, I kind of have liked it if I had my own accommodation to, but it would be silly to so living so close and all.

It will so much fun every day, I am so excited I

I was planning on Edinburgh but i ended up applying for accom for first year because i feel like traveling would be a struggle i will check it out the first year then decide if i continue living their or start commuting. I think it would be beneficial to live on my own you’re right just become more self sufficient.

I’m so glad you’re feeling better although runny nose is a sign of covid if you’ve got that a test might do.
When I moved out from my parents it was a big big step, I was very nervous and also very excited and there were so many things i did not know about, but my parents were only a call away to talk with and guide me, that was a big help, I am sure yours will be the same, after a month you and you have settled in a little and got a routine, then you will find it a blessing I am sure of, I know I did and have never looked back but only enjoyed every min I was/am with my parents now until I go back home again.

I look forward to seeing you and see how you will be doing at uni when we are there, it will be fun
When I moved out from my parents it was a big big step, I was very nervous and also very excited and there were so many things i did not know about, but my parents were only a call away to talk with and guide me, that was a big help, I am sure yours will be the same, after a month you and you have settled in a little and got a routine, then you will find it a blessing I am sure of, I know I did and have never looked back but only enjoyed every min I was/am with my parents now until I go back home again.

I look forward to seeing you and see how you will be doing at uni when we are there, it will be fun

i am looking forward to that as well and moving too i think it’d be a great way to become more independent also they are only an hour away so it’s not that bad. Hopefully it’ll be a great experience for us
Are there any stirling groupchats?
Hi there :-) I guess we will meet in class then :-D 13 sept :-D
Original post by Lianne_Sinclair
Hey, I am an unconditional offer holder for Animal Biology at University of Stirling.
I am currently studying AH Biology and Chemistry, Higher Maths, need an A this year, and N5 Physics

Guess I will be seeing you in class then :-D

Latest