ariess
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have lived in the UK for 12 years since 2008 and I hold settled status. Due to covid, my extended family in Latvia was in need of help and support. As i am financially dependent on my parents I had to temporarily move with them. I have a place at portsmouth and applied to student finance way too late (my bad) I have sent my evidence and a letter explaining the situation. I have contacted SFE various times and gotten the same answer - that i should be eligible for the maintenance loan but the final decision is up to the assessors. This worries me as I’m too afraid to book accommodation as I wouldn’t be able to afford it with a part time job. I meet all the criteria apart from being temporarily abroad for the past 2 months. Anyone have any idea what my chances are?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ariess)
I have lived in the UK for 12 years since 2008 and I hold settled status. Due to covid, my extended family in Latvia was in need of help and support. As i am financially dependent on my parents I had to temporarily move with them. I have a place at portsmouth and applied to student finance way too late (my bad) I have sent my evidence and a letter explaining the situation. I have contacted SFE various times and gotten the same answer - that i should be eligible for the maintenance loan but the final decision is up to the assessors. This worries me as I’m too afraid to book accommodation as I wouldn’t be able to afford it with a part time job. I meet all the criteria apart from being temporarily abroad for the past 2 months. Anyone have any idea what my chances are?
Hi, if you were just visiting Latvia but still residing in the UK then you should still be eligible to apply for SFE funding as you have resided here since 2008.

If you were not residing in Latvia then you should not put that country in your address history, as we don't need to know if you were just on holiday.
Thanks, Isaac
ariess
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, if you were just visiting Latvia but still residing in the UK then you should still be eligible to apply for SFE funding as you have resided here since 2008.

If you were not residing in Latvia then you should not put that country in your address history, as we don't need to know if you were just on holiday.
Thanks, Isaac
But as the evidence and documents need to be sent to back straight to me, I must have my address as my current location?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But as the evidence and documents need to be sent to back straight to me, I must have my address as my current location?
Hi, are you stating you are currently residing in Latvia not the UK?
Thanks, Isaac
ariess
Rep:
?
Hi, are you stating you are currently residing in Latvia not the UK?
Thanks, Isaac
Yes, for the time being until November.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, for the time being until November.
If you have been residing in Latvia and it wasn't just a holiday then it could affect residency. You should apply and state you have been residing in Latvia and our residency team and assessors will review this, you should apply as soon as possible.
Thanks, Isaac
ariess
Rep:
?
If you have been residing in Latvia and it wasn't just a holiday then it could affect residency. You should apply and state you have been residing in Latvia and our residency team and assessors will review this, you should apply as soon as possible.
Thanks, Isaac
I have only been here for 2 months staying with my family, it is not a permanent residence. I have already applied and sent a letter with my passport explaining the situation. Surely being away 2 months to support family during covid shouldn’t be a big problem when me and my parents have worked, lived and paid taxes in the UK for 12 years?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have only been here for 2 months staying with my family, it is not a permanent residence. I have already applied and sent a letter with my passport explaining the situation. Surely being away 2 months to support family during covid shouldn’t be a big problem when me and my parents have worked, lived and paid taxes in the UK for 12 years?
If it was temporary it should be ok. We will need our residency team to review your application. It currently takes 13 working days for the residency team to review new evidence.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads