Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How much maths is CompSci? It is as hard/easy compared to regular maths?
Advertisement
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
How much maths is CompSci? It is as hard/easy compared to regular maths?
CompSci as a degree, or CompSci as a discipline? Either way, the answer is a big "it depends".

In terms of degrees, you can usually see to some extent how much Maths youll do. Dedicated Maths modules, programming and in particular algorithm heavy courses, and a Maths A Level requirement are good indicators that a CompSci course may be Maths heavy. Broader topics, no requirement for Maths, etc. may mean it's not so Maths heavy.

In terms of discipline, it depends on what you want to do. Crypto for example is an example of a super Maths heavy branch of CompSci. Your average software development job could be Maths heavy. Web design or network admin on the other hand not so much.

If you want to focus on Maths heavy CompSci, you can do that. If you want to do as little Maths as possible, you can also do that. Maths is not an inherent requirement, and you have plenty of options without it. You can also do some cool stuff if you want to be Maths heavy. It's up to you
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's a lot of math in Computer Science. Probably around 50% of the entire 3 years was pretty much math and most of it a very high level too, why?
Advertisement
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
There's a lot of math in Computer Science. Probably around 50% of the entire 3 years was pretty much math and most of it a very high level too, why?
I'm have an interest in it the AI part. I read that it involves maths but I don't know how much.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm have an interest in it the AI part. I read that it involves maths but I don't know how much.
Is that because you hate maths?
Advertisement
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
Is that because you hate maths?
Yea. I have to accept its mainly maths.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yea. I have to accept its mainly maths.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get for Maths in GCSE?
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (159)
14.7%
I'm not sure (46)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.77%
I'm not a current university student (527)
48.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise