username5386340
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
From a year 14 feeling hopeless (I'm retaking year 13). Cag's were trash for me, hoping to prove myself in the exam
Last edited by username5386340; 1 month ago
bint el kalb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i hope so
macy_m
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I-
Year 14??!
Retaking year 13 or 1st year of uni or are there countries with a year 14 🤯
jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I really doubt they will cancel exams again, it will literally be a waste of another year!!! I really hope they adjust the exams though!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lookingzar)
From a year 14 feeling hopeless
Let's hope not, given that it has been demonstrated that public pressure leads to awarding undeservedly high grades.
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by macy_m)
I-
Year 14??!
Nah they’re probably just retaking y13
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jduxie4414)
I really hope they adjust the exams though!
In what way?
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bint el kalb)
i hope so
same bro
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by macy_m)
I-
Year 14??!
I sometimes say year 14 to mean gap year
bacter1a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If they cancel it there is likely to be a backlog of applicants not only from 2020 but 2021 so it could all build up
jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
In what way?
More optional questions so that there's less content that you need to learn; and to account for the fact different schools teach the course in different orders, etc.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Year 14? I would hope not but we won't get any concrete answers until next year.
Horse girl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think my photography exam has already been cancelled- instead we are only having coursework 🧐
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Let's hope not, given that it has been demonstrated that public pressure leads to awarding undeservedly high grades.
Or an incapable government awarding undeservedly low grades to students coming from a low socioeconomic background
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by epicnm)
Or an incapable government awarding undeservedly low grades to students coming from a low socioeconomic background
I don't believe that. The government didn't write the correction algorithm either.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well an algorithm that decided that no one from certain schools was going to get an A* regardless of how clever they are or how hard they worked might have had a bit of a problem tbh.

Imo should have rented out the largest rooms available and done the exams in shifts if necessary.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jduxie4414)
More optional questions so that there's less content that you need to learn; and to account for the fact different schools teach the course in different orders, etc.
Wouldn't that devalue the qualifications, and cause (yet more) issues for universities?
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't believe that. The government didn't write the correction algorithm either.
What don’t you believe?
bacter1a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's weird though people think the algorithm worked because it was based off past data, when classes under the size of (5 or 15 i can't remember lol) got their teacher predicted grades and everyone else got grades altered by the algorithm. I think usually private schools have smaller class sizes so were less likely to be affected by downgrading so this was blatant classism from our government
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Well an algorithm that decided that no one from certain schools was going to get an A* regardless of how clever they are or how hard they worked might have had a bit of a problem tbh.

Imo should have rented out the largest rooms available and done the exams in shifts if necessary.
Agreed. However, the corrected grades were, on average, fairer - just look at the percentage of A* and A grades awarded by CAGs. It's a mess.

IMO, exams should have been held, or public pressure to switch to CAGs resisted. There were problems with the corrected grades, for which a system of individual assessment should have been put in place. Instead, we've just over-awarded for schools with optimistic predicted grades, encouraging this disruptive behaviour.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads