The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Official York St John University 2021 applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaKaaZ
Hi, I'm Jake and I'm starting in September. I can play bass or help with production. What kind of stuff do you like singing?

Yo Jake, I'm big into Oasis and Green Day as main influences but anything that dosen't involve me screaming and with a great riff does me good !
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Hi I am planning to study at York St John uni starting September 2021, I have an unconditional offer to study Interior Design. I’m just looking to try and meet some people on the same course as me ahead of starting.

Is there anyone else on here studying the same thing? If you are feel free to follow my insta - freya_moorexo or reply to this post and let’s have a chat :smile: looking forward to making some new friends!

Thanks xx
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I've just accepted YSJ as my first choice to study Physiotherapy. Can you let me know what you think of Brickworks and Central as accommodation? Thanks
Hi. Trying to decide on 1st year accommodation. What is the general feel? I'm thinking Brickworks or Central?
Original post by Charlotte488
Hi. Trying to decide on 1st year accommodation. What is the general feel? I'm thinking Brickworks or Central?

Hi @Chatlotte488

Both Brickworks and Central are more or less the same distance from the campus itself (about ten or 15 minutes walk), and both are apartment blocks, unlike other accommodation we have such as the Grange which is more of a townhouse situation.
Both are friendly and positive atmospheres like all our sites and many students are able to make their friends for life in our accommodation, much like I did. Each flat has a shared kitchen and the option for ensuite bathrooms, there is also the option for studios. Both sites also have shared laundry facilities, this means (like all most all other university accommodation sites across the country) it will cost a small fee to do your laundry. Lastly, both have secure bike access and so should you choose to keep a bike, you can keep it secure.

If you require disabled access, I would note that this is not always available at the Brickworks.

Unless you opt for a Studio at Central, the Brickworks is typically more expensive, so if cost is a concern you may prefer Central.

As I say, the general feel of both is a welcoming and positive environment for the 1st year student and many report the best times of their lives in our sites. I add that Central is one of our most popular accommodations!

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please do ask!
All the best,
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
Original post by Cat Tonge (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hi @Chatlotte488

Both Brickworks and Central are more or less the same distance from the campus itself (about ten or 15 minutes walk), and both are apartment blocks, unlike other accommodation we have such as the Grange which is more of a townhouse situation.
Both are friendly and positive atmospheres like all our sites and many students are able to make their friends for life in our accommodation, much like I did. Each flat has a shared kitchen and the option for ensuite bathrooms, there is also the option for studios. Both sites also have shared laundry facilities, this means (like all most all other university accommodation sites across the country) it will cost a small fee to do your laundry. Lastly, both have secure bike access and so should you choose to keep a bike, you can keep it secure.

If you require disabled access, I would note that this is not always available at the Brickworks.

Unless you opt for a Studio at Central, the Brickworks is typically more expensive, so if cost is a concern you may prefer Central.

As I say, the general feel of both is a welcoming and positive environment for the 1st year student and many report the best times of their lives in our sites. I add that Central is one of our most popular accommodations!

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please do ask!
All the best,

Thanks
Hi there,
So my start date is 13th September and I was wondering what week would Freshers be as on the website it says the general start date is 27th September ? So would freshers be after I've started my course ?
Hello!

I’m heading off to York St John to study British Sign Language, Deaf studies and linguistics.

Anyone else planning on studying this course? :smile:
Original post by Zack Noble
Hi there,
So my start date is 13th September and I was wondering what week would Freshers be as on the website it says the general start date is 27th September ? So would freshers be after I've started my course ?

Hi @Zack Noble

So going off the website it would seem that yes, Freshers (Welcome week) is a little later for the academic year 2021-22. I'm not entirely sure why, I would suspect it is for COVID reasons but don't take my word on that.
But this would mean that if your start date is the 13th Sept, then yes freshers would be after you start.

If you have any further questions I would be happy to try and answer them for you!
All the best,
Original post by Charliedarlie123
Hello!

I’m heading off to York St John to study British Sign Language, Deaf studies and linguistics.

Anyone else planning on studying this course? :smile:

Hey! I’m doing English language and linguistics and I’m in my first year, and my roommate studies the same course as you’re going to be taking. We both have quite a few of the same modules and they’re great, and she’s really enjoying it so you should too!
(edited 2 years ago)
hi ive applied for financial and investment management, if anyone else has applied for this course let me know as ive not seen anyone yet :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
hi ive applied for financial and investment management, if anyone else has applied for this course let me know as ive not seen anyone yet :smile:

i have too, i haven't managed to find anyone else doing it either : )
omg thank god same!!! do you have a snapchat/instagram i could add? :smile:
Original post by ElishaLupton
i have too, i haven't managed to find anyone else doing it either : )
Original post by Anonymous
omg thank god same!!! do you have a snapchat/instagram i could add? :smile:

yeh, its just @elishalupton on insta :smile:
Original post by ElishaLupton
yeh, its just @elishalupton on insta :smile:

okay ill follow you now :smile:
Original post by jade gonzales
Hi
I’m jade and I am a possible student of York St. John’s. I will be studying intercultural communications and linguistics with Korean. Right now in college I study politics, history and classics. I’ve secured a place at the boulevard student accommodation in York, if anyone else is staying there, we can always get in touch and become friends. Hopefully I’ll find someone who will be doing the same course as me.

Heyy i'm Jaz. I'll hopefully be studying TESOL and linguistics with Korean which is a similar course to yours! Aw that's great that you have your accommodation sorted, I've applied for St. John Central accommodation but I still haven't heard anything back yet and nothing has came up on the accommodation hub either :frown:.
Original post by Courtjbay
Hi, I've set York st. John as my firm choice and I'm hoping to study Korean, TESOL and Linguistics, i'm not currently studying anything since I finished college a few years ago and decided that I wanted to go to uni this year. I'm a bit nervous since I'll be a few years older than the majority of students (i'm currently 21).

Hii i'm Jaz. I'll hopefully be studying TESOL and linguistics with Korean too! Awh, what are you worried about? I feel like everyone will be accepting of each other and doubt the age gap will be a problem :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jaz johnston
Heyy i'm Jaz. I'll hopefully be studying TESOL and linguistics with Korean which is a similar course to yours! Aw that's great that you have your accommodation sorted, I've applied for St. John Central accommodation but I still haven't heard anything back yet and nothing has came up on the accommodation hub either :frown:.

Hey Jaz. I hope you’re able to get everything sorted with your accommodation soon. Since our courses are similar and in the same department I’m pretty sure we will see eachother often. If you want to get in contact with me I would love to be friends😁 my Instagram is prinxess_jay143
Original post by aikoluvr
What course are you applying for?
Korean, TESOL and Linguistics
What subjects are you studying now?
French, English Literature, Moving Image Arts

Hey :smile: I applied for the same course and received an offer, are you still planning to do the course?
Original post by jaz johnston
Hii i'm Jaz. I'll hopefully be studying TESOL and linguistics with Korean too! Awh, what are you worried about? I feel like everyone will be accepting of each other and doubt the age gap will be a problem :smile:

Hi jaz, thanks for your reply, I guess I’m just nervous about the thought of everything changing, new town, new people, etc. I’m happy to finally find someone studying the same course as me though ☺️ I’ll probably be seeing you in September then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending