Lockthedoor
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello all,

Bit of a dilemma here. I have passed my checks and obtained a starting date (1 month from today) after a chat with my future line manager.

I thought that once agreed to a starting date, I would at least receive a formal letter of employment. However, today I was told that HR is very busy and that therefore formal offer (as well as the contract) might arrive after I actually start.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am very nervous about resigning from my current role without having anything formal sorted out from the Civil Service. What if it all falls through?

Thank you
jackisback
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Out of interest, how long did it take for your checks to be completed?
PrincessJF
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lockthedoor)
Hello all,

Bit of a dilemma here. I have passed my checks and obtained a starting date (1 month from today) after a chat with my future line manager.

I thought that once agreed to a starting date, I would at least receive a formal letter of employment. However, today I was told that HR is very busy and that therefore formal offer (as well as the contract) might arrive after I actually start.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am very nervous about resigning from my current role without having anything formal sorted out from the Civil Service. What if it all falls through?

Thank you
Hi, which department are you joining? I joined the Civil Service ( home Office) last year and started my role without a formal job offer letter because HR was really busy. My line manager just confirmed my job title, salary, annual leave days, hours of work and location via email and that was it. My formal job offer letter arrived months after I had already started the job.

I would say there is nothing to worry about, just ask your line manager to confirm the salary, hours of work and start date and other information that’s important to you via email. If choose to wait for the formal letter, you will be waiting for months and months so I wouldn’t recommend as it could actually cost you losing the job if they need someone to join urgently.

I hope this helps.
Moana92
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PrincessJF)
Hi, which department are you joining? I joined the Civil Service ( home Office) last year and started my role without a formal job offer letter because HR was really busy. My line manager just confirmed my job title, salary, annual leave days, hours of work and location via email and that was it. My formal job offer letter arrived months after I had already started the job.

I would say there is nothing to worry about, just ask your line manager to confirm the salary, hours of work and start date and other information that’s important to you via email. If choose to wait for the formal letter, you will be waiting for months and months so I wouldn’t recommend as it could actually cost you losing the job if they need someone to join urgently.

I hope this helps.
What if we're in a position that we need that contract in order to get a mortgage, and without that mortgage we can't buy a house and move to the job location?
Lockthedoor
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I actually received my contract and letter two weeks after passing my checks. What I think helped was speaking with my line manager and explaining that I wouldnt resign from my current role until I received at least a formal offer. I was obviously concerned to start with but my advice would be to speak honestly to the hiring managers
PrincessJF
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Moana92)
What if we're in a position that we need that contract in order to get a mortgage, and without that mortgage we can't buy a house and move to the job location?
In that case, I would advice you to explain the mortgage situation to your line manager. I’m sure they can ask HR to fast track processing your offer letter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (75)
30%
Less motivated (175)
70%

Watched Threads