Will I get support from Student Finance next year?

Watch
JellyBurger676
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all,
Im Polish, 18, and have lived in the UK for the past 13 years, its my home. I applied for Uni but I feel very unsure if i wanted to do the course I applied and i just dont feel ready for Uni. So ive been thinking of taking a gap year, learn to drive, loose weight and get healthier, earn some money and decide what course I want to do the following year. However the government has announced that most EU/EEA/Swiss nationals wont be eligible for support from Student finance. I'm worried about this as I don't want to end up not going to uni because of finances or that now I cant afford it/have to pay it all myself. I could apply for UK citizenship but by the time i get it will be almost 2 years - and I want to start next year at latest. There is very little info on GOV.UK site about this so im not sure who is going to be affected by this and who isn't - will people under the 'settled' status and 'pre-settled' get help but people directly coming from Europe wont? I just dont want to screw myself over. I feel unready for this year, i dont have anything ready - accomodation, finances are weeks away, uni is right round the corner and the idea of going in a week or 2 terrifies me. And as i probably repeated myself 1000 times, the course ive applied for ive kind of changed my mind (History and International Relations) I just feel like it might get a boring and at this moment feel like doing something else.

Piotr
B999555
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,
As you point out, there seem to be a lot of unclarity regarding fees and finance for ‘pre-settled’ and ‘settled’ EU students — as an EU student in the UK, I do feel how stressful and frustrating are the government’s announcement and unclarity.

In your case though, and opposed to mine, I wouldn’t though worry about that. Rather than on the basis of nationality, home fees and finance are allocated on the basis of a) 3 years ordinary residence and b) settled status

If you are 18 and have spent 13 years of your life as an EU national in the UK, and your main home is in the UK, then you qualify for home fees and student finance based on ordinary residence. Concerning ‘b)’ I imagine you already have EU settled status or some form of Indefinite leave to remain — and in case you don’t have it, you can apply for it since you have at least 5 years of ordinary residence in the UK. Hence, not having any restrictions on your stay here, you would be classed as settled for fee purposes, even if your nationality classification is EU.

To sum up, since you satisfy (or can show you satisfy) both the residence and settlement criteria, you will likely be fine with fees and finance — that is, you will be treated as a home student.
Hope this helps, and consider calling SFE
JellyBurger676
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by B999555)
Hi,
As you point out, there seem to be a lot of unclarity regarding fees and finance for ‘pre-settled’ and ‘settled’ EU students — as an EU student in the UK, I do feel how stressful and frustrating are the government’s announcement and unclarity.

In your case though, and opposed to mine, I wouldn’t though worry about that. Rather than on the basis of nationality, home fees and finance are allocated on the basis of a) 3 years ordinary residence and b) settled status

If you are 18 and have spent 13 years of your life as an EU national in the UK, and your main home is in the UK, then you qualify for home fees and student finance based on ordinary residence. Concerning ‘b)’ I imagine you already have EU settled status or some form of Indefinite leave to remain — and in case you don’t have it, you can apply for it since you have at least 5 years of ordinary residence in the UK. Hence, not having any restrictions on your stay here, you would be classed as settled for fee purposes, even if your nationality classification is EU.

To sum up, since you satisfy (or can show you satisfy) both the residence and settlement criteria, you will likely be fine with fees and finance — that is, you will be treated as a home student.
Hope this helps, and consider calling SFE
B999555
I really appreciate you spending the time to get back to me.
I am still to apply for the EU settlement scheme but I'm pretty sure ill get the "settled" status.
If I was to go to Uni this year I will have no problems as I will still be treated with home fees status - but I'm not sure if i made it clear (sorry) that I want to take gap year and start in 2021 when by hopefully ill make my mind up - the gov (as you yourself said) are frustratingly unclear about finances in 2021 - I don't care if they charge me more (as most of us wont pay this stuff off anyway) - its just whether i will get both tuition and max maintenance loan as I can't go to uni without them both as i cant afford it and my parents wont help either.
If they treat people with settled/pre-settled differently they will basically screw my life over :'(
Just wondering where you are at that you seem to suggest im in a better position - you live in UK too but shorter?

Thanks so much,
Pete
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JellyBurger676)
Hi all,
Im Polish, 18, and have lived in the UK for the past 13 years, its my home. I applied for Uni but I feel very unsure if i wanted to do the course I applied and i just dont feel ready for Uni. So ive been thinking of taking a gap year, learn to drive, loose weight and get healthier, earn some money and decide what course I want to do the following year. However the government has announced that most EU/EEA/Swiss nationals wont be eligible for support from Student finance. I'm worried about this as I don't want to end up not going to uni because of finances or that now I cant afford it/have to pay it all myself. I could apply for UK citizenship but by the time i get it will be almost 2 years - and I want to start next year at latest. There is very little info on GOV.UK site about this so im not sure who is going to be affected by this and who isn't - will people under the 'settled' status and 'pre-settled' get help but people directly coming from Europe wont? I just dont want to screw myself over. I feel unready for this year, i dont have anything ready - accomodation, finances are weeks away, uni is right round the corner and the idea of going in a week or 2 terrifies me. And as i probably repeated myself 1000 times, the course ive applied for ive kind of changed my mind (History and International Relations) I just feel like it might get a boring and at this moment feel like doing something else.

Piotr
I wouldnt be worried. Just make sure you are registered for the settlement scheme and I believe you will be covered the same way as a UK student for fees and maintenance. You arent really treated as an EU student anymore at least not one who comes from the EU recently. You only get financed once so make sure its the right course and uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (6)
18.75%
No (26)
81.25%

Watched Threads