lizzyh123321
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am getting really anxious about my AH dissertation, which I have chosen to do on The Bell Jar and To The Lighthouse. I am always near the top of my class in English (an A*/A1 student) and want to study it at uni (Edinburgh, St. Andrews, or Glasgow) but the stress this is causing me is making me reconsider my topic, as I have unstable mental health generally and worrying about it is occupying a lot of my time. I don't know To The Lighthouse too well as I didn't understand it much, but I feel the challenge it poses is appropriate for someone at my level of achievement who wishes to take English further. That being said, I have considered reducing my dissertation to a single text, The Bell Jar, as it is one I really like and I think I could perform really well in without the stress. Otherwise, I could pick up a different, easier, text that I haven't read yet like The Yellow Wallpaper or The Trick is to Keep Breathing. I need to tell my teacher this week what I am deciding to do, but do you think I should do The Bell Jar by itself which will be stressfree but not challenging and potentially get a lower grade for not being hard, The Bell Jar with To The Lighthouse, which will contribute to my anxiety + low moods but will prove that I am good at English or The Bell Jar with another, easier text which will mean more reading? I am going to speak to my teacher, especially as another girl in my class is doing the two alternative texts I mentioned so I might not be allowed. Please boost this if you don't have an opinion <3
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lizzyh123321)
I am getting really anxious about my AH dissertation, which I have chosen to do on The Bell Jar and To The Lighthouse. I am always near the top of my class in English (an A*/A1 student) and want to study it at uni (Edinburgh, St. Andrews, or Glasgow) but the stress this is causing me is making me reconsider my topic, as I have unstable mental health generally and worrying about it is occupying a lot of my time. I don't know To The Lighthouse too well as I didn't understand it much, but I feel the challenge it poses is appropriate for someone at my level of achievement who wishes to take English further. That being said, I have considered reducing my dissertation to a single text, The Bell Jar, as it is one I really like and I think I could perform really well in without the stress. Otherwise, I could pick up a different, easier, text that I haven't read yet like The Yellow Wallpaper or The Trick is to Keep Breathing. I need to tell my teacher this week what I am deciding to do, but do you think I should do The Bell Jar by itself which will be stressfree but not challenging and potentially get a lower grade for not being hard, The Bell Jar with To The Lighthouse, which will contribute to my anxiety + low moods but will prove that I am good at English or The Bell Jar with another, easier text which will mean more reading? I am going to speak to my teacher, especially as another girl in my class is doing the two alternative texts I mentioned so I might not be allowed. Please boost this if you don't have an opinion <3
Hey, have you considered potentially not doing the AH Eng exam? I kind of wish I was able to enjoy the course more and not stress over grades all the time.

What kind of text are you looking for? Time period and themes etc. Don't do The Lighthouse if you don't want to. Seriously, forcing yourself to do a text for the diss will make the whole process a chore.
cchloepx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My English teacher told us that if you don't like your text(s), change them ASAP. you'll only put yourself at a disadvantage. We're only in September so you've still got time to swap stuff.

Personally, I studied The Yellow Wallpaper last year for Higher English and really enjoyed it. Not sure of the Bell Jar but The Yellow Wallpaper has strong themes about mental health and feminism so if those are related I'd say go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (20)
22.73%
No (68)
77.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed