English literature A-level interesting books?

Watch
tasnimali2492
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
For my coursework, I have to choose 2 books to compare and I'm struggling to find books that intrigue me and passionate to write about! Please could anyone suggest a book that is pre-1900 and post 1900? And possibly books that have lots I can talk about?
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tasnimali2492)
For my coursework, I have to choose 2 books to compare and I'm struggling to find books that intrigue me and passionate to write about! Please could anyone suggest a book that is pre-1900 and post 1900? And possibly books that have lots I can talk about?
Would you consider Hardy's Jude the Obscure and Barnes' The Sense of an Ending? I think they compare quite well thematically, especially when it comes to marriage, grief and the complexity of relationships.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Another one I can think of would be Wilde's Dorian Gray (1890) and Woolf's To the Lighthouse (1927) - the way the authors use art as a motif (quite differently, granted) is rather interesting.
litstudent30
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Before you pick your books, you need to know what you're going to write about - what interests you? Feminism, Post-colonialism, Marxism?
When you've sorted this out, I can be more helpful

Here is a list of some popular books with a range of themes that you could consider:

Pre-1900
The Picture of Dorian Gray (I did this)
Dracula (And this)
Frankenstein
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
Little Women
Any Elizabeth Gaskell novel (e.g. North and South)
Any Jane Austen novel (Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, etc.)
Any Dickens novel
Any Thomas Hardy novel (e.g. Tess of the D'Ubervilles)

Post-1900
The Colour Purple
Lord of the Flies
Beloved or The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
The Handmaid's Tale
Giovanni's Room
Catch-22
Ulysses
The Well of Loneliness
Brave New World
Never Let Me Go
Any E M Forster novel (I'd recommend Maurice)
Any F. Scott Fitzgerald novel (The Great Gatsby is extremely popular, or try The Beautiful and Damned)
Any Virginia Woolf novel (To The Lighthouse, Orlando, Mrs Dalloway etc.)

Hope this helped!
tasnimali2492
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by litstudent30)
Before you pick your books, you need to know what you're going to write about - what interests you? Feminism, Post-colonialism, Marxism?
When you've sorted this out, I can be more helpful

Here is a list of some popular books with a range of themes that you could consider:

Pre-1900
The Picture of Dorian Gray (I did this)
Dracula (And this)
Frankenstein
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
Little Women
Any Elizabeth Gaskell novel (e.g. North and South)
Any Jane Austen novel (Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, etc.)
Any Dickens novel
Any Thomas Hardy novel (e.g. Tess of the D'Ubervilles)

Post-1900
The Colour Purple
Lord of the Flies
Beloved or The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
The Handmaid's Tale
Giovanni's Room
Catch-22
Ulysses
The Well of Loneliness
Brave New World
Never Let Me Go
Any E M Forster novel (I'd recommend Maurice)
Any F. Scott Fitzgerald novel (The Great Gatsby is extremely popular, or try The Beautiful and Damned)
Any Virginia Woolf novel (To The Lighthouse, Orlando, Mrs Dalloway etc.)

Hope this helped!
Thank you so much for this great list of books! I was thinking along the lines of representation of society and class (marxism) or perhaps representation of race and ethnicity. Which theme do you think would allow me to explore and expand my ideas more?
tasnimali2492
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Hyperbolit)
Another one I can think of would be Wilde's Dorian Gray (1890) and Woolf's To the Lighthouse (1927) - the way the authors use art as a motif (quite differently, granted) is rather interesting.
(Original post by Hyperbolit)
Would you consider Hardy's Jude the Obscure and Barnes' The Sense of an Ending? I think they compare quite well thematically, especially when it comes to marriage, grief and the complexity of relationships.
That sounds really interesting! Do you reccomend any websites or books that have detailed analysis on them?
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you so much for this great list of books! I was thinking along the lines of representation of society and class (marxism) or perhaps representation of race and ethnicity. Which theme do you think would allow me to explore and expand my ideas more?
If you’re thinking society and class, look at (Pre-1900) Dorian Gray with (Post-1900) The Great Gatsby!!
litstudent30
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'd suggest you consider: The Color Purple, Purple Hibiscus, or a Toni Morrison novel for ethnicity. For Marxism/class, Dorian Gray, a Fitzgerald novel or an Austen novel might be your best bet.

You asked for websites with a detailed analysis of texts - as an A level student, you should be doing the analysis yourself. Avoid looking at other people's ideas except when searching for critical material. Its YOUR coursework, and the examiners want to see what YOU know
tasnimali2492
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by litstudent30)
I'd suggest you consider: The Color Purple, Purple Hibiscus, or a Toni Morrison novel for ethnicity. For Marxism/class, Dorian Gray, a Fitzgerald novel or an Austen novel might be your best bet.

You asked for websites with a detailed analysis of texts - as an A level student, you should be doing the analysis yourself. Avoid looking at other people's ideas except when searching for critical material. Its YOUR coursework, and the examiners want to see what YOU know
Thank you for the great suggestions! And yes I was wanting to find sources for when I talk about critics response. I found some good articles on telegraph so I should be fine 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (88)
30.88%
Less motivated (197)
69.12%

Watched Threads