lostboyirwinn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Anyone trying to open a student account with Barclays? I already bank with them so I thought it would be easier to upgrade to a student account with them but they are taking the piss. When I went to the branch they told me I can do it through online banking but I could not. On the website they said I could do it with video banking but they told me I have to go to the branch with my passport to verify my identity. I literally went to the bank a few weeks ago to correct my date of birth with my passport and asked about the student account then as well and that’s when they told me to do it through online banking. They had also said before that we could apply online from September but I got a text today saying they’re sorry, it’s not available to December. Should I give up getting a student account at this point? I should have probably looked at other banks but I feel like it’s too late now.
Last edited by lostboyirwinn; 2 weeks ago
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe try other banks. They’re normally quick to transfer but they have time periods which you can open your account. Check online. Also if you’re are looking for an overdraft a little bit of advice make sure you’re spending sensibly as they check your statements. Also you’ll need a good reason and prove you need the overdraft with your current account balance. They’re pretty strict when handing out overdrafts
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lostboyirwinn)
Anyone trying to open a student account with Barclays? I already bank with them so I thought it would be easier to upgrade to a student account with them but they are taking the piss. When I went to the branch they told me I can do it through online banking but I could not. On the website they said I could do it with video banking but they told me I have to go to the branch with my passport to verify my identity. I literally went to the bank a few weeks ago to correct my date of birth with my passport and asked about the student account then as well and that’s when they told me to do it through online banking. They had also said before that we could apply online from September but I got a text today saying they’re sorry, it’s not available to December. Should I give up getting a student account at this point? I should have probably looked at other banks but I feel like it’s too late now.
it's not too late to get one arranged with another bank
Cute Kawaii
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yesss make it with another bank.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi!

I would go into your bank one last time and explain your situation as you have here. If they are not helpful then explain that you will go to another bank and they might change their mind if you say this. If not you've still got plenty of time and should take no more than 2 weeks for the process to be complete.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (6)
18.75%
No (26)
81.25%

Watched Threads