Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by _gcx)
I am already at university!
Oo sorry! What do you study?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Krood)
Private school kids have a sheltered life in a lot of respects. You'll probably have a lot to teach them about life.
Perhaps that’s true, I guess they just have a different outlook on life, nothing wrong with that
7xm2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I got into Leeds after working really hard for 2 years after a-levels and I was so happy, I never even imagined someone like me could go to a RG university, I never set my standards that high. But whenever I go on TSR I feel right s**t, people talking about Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and putting down universities like Leeds etc... makes me feel worthless, even though I’m super proud I made it this far.
The funny thing is going to a better or worse uni doesn't mean anything, all that matters is your mindset, the uni ain't gonna give you grades, you are ginna get the grades. Plus I should do uni but I don't want to and I'm doing a different route and I won't have the same experiences. Plus don't worry about idiots who just wanna feel better about themselves as there self worth is too low to realise that the uni they went won't mean much
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Indeed. Hope you’ll get your money’s worth putting people down on TSR at 1:36 am
Not at all, I have no interest in putting you down, I just pointed out something I thought was pathetic.

You've worked hard for years to get into a top university and at the end of the day, a few comments from some ignorant strangers dulls your efforts.

I find that pathetic, call me crazy.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
Not at all, I have no interest in putting you down, I just pointed out something I thought was pathetic.

You've worked hard for years to get into a top university and at the end of the day, a few comments from some ignorant strangers dulls your efforts.

I find that pathetic, call me crazy.
Yeah I’m pathetic. You’re pretty cool though stranger, nice to meet you. This is not sarcasm by the way.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oo sorry! What do you study?
maths
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I’m pathetic. You’re pretty cool though stranger, nice to meet you. This is not sarcasm by the way.
Don't worry I wouldn't bet on you being sarcastic.
Anonymous #1
To be fair most employers don't care what university you went to or know how much effort it was. It can actually be an advantage to be at a lower ranked university because you will get through the course much easier. I was at an average university and it was hard work 5 days a week but I know others who were at low ranked universities and they were only in for 2 or 3 half days a week yet to most employers they will see no difference in the extra effort
(Original post by 7xm2)
The funny thing is going to a better or worse uni doesn't mean anything, all that matters is your mindset, the uni ain't gonna give you grades, you are ginna get the grades. Plus I should do uni but I don't want to and I'm doing a different route and I won't have the same experiences. Plus don't worry about idiots who just wanna feel better about themselves as there self worth is too low to realise that the uni they went won't mean much
Luckily employability won’t be an issue with my course haha :rofl: True, at the end of the day it’s all on me I guess
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you everyone, I understand that not everyone posting on this site is genuine, but it’s easier said than done to stop comparing yourself when you see the same posts 100 times a day Leeds is a good uni, I just hate that people on TSR think you’re a failure if you don’t attend the top 5 universities in the country
**** them they don't matter, nor do their opinions about the University of Leeds
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
Don't worry I wouldn't bet on you being sarcastic.
:eyebrow:
Krood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What's the course?
Luckily employability won’t be an issue with my course haha :rofl: True, at the end of the day it’s all on me I guess
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Krood)
What's the course?
Medicine
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ROTL94)
**** them they don't matter, nor do their opinions about the University of Leeds
True, I guess at the end of the day they don’t have to go there, I do
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
True, I guess at the end of the day they don’t have to go there, I do
And it is in the top 20 rn, and as you do medicine you're more or less guaranteed a job when you complete your degree any road. You're doing what's best for yourself and that's the bottom line
7xm2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Exactly, I ain't doing uni as I don't want to be in the debt, that's the only mockery I do about unis end the Marxist indoctrination but besides the point all I can do is flex the i wanna do a degree apprenticeship. But in a serious note you ćoukd of gone to uni a or b or c at the end of the day it's you who decides how hard to work for the grades not anyone else
Krood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well there you go, you are in a super privileged position (thanks largely to your efforts), be glad!
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I do love TSR, but... it can be quite toxic
Synergy~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Indeed. Hope you’ll get your money’s worth putting people down on TSR at 1:36 am
Ignore him. It’s perfectly natural to feel the way you’re feeling. It can be hard to trust your own opinion of success if most people you are interacting with say something that opposes it. Leeds is great btw and there is a negligible difference between your uni and the ones you mentioned when it comes to employers. They don’t really care about (as I have been told by some) the brand name of your uni but your grades and CV. So all this looking down on Leeds your referring to has probably been carried out by insecure students that still attach their self worth to how prestigious their uni sounds.

So basically, my opinion is: focus on what you want from your degree in the long run and enjoy learning its content not what people on TSR think about it, don’t compare yourself to others because anyway there will always be someone doing better than any of us so it’s a ceaseless empty pursuit (to an extent and in some circumstances like this one). So what if a bunch of kids on TSR think that top 5 unis are the only valid ones? Not really predicated on much reason. And in general comparing yourself will only bring unnecessary misery, especially since they aren’t really beneficial comparisons because it’s more so based on prestige rather than a real obstacle they are alerting you to in terms of the career you want to pursue and the education you will get.

I’m sorry for the long post, don’t feel like shortening it 😅
Last edited by Synergy~; 2 weeks ago
nursingstudentuk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So I got into Leeds after working really hard for 2 years after a-levels and I was so happy, I never even imagined someone like me could go to a RG university, I never set my standards that high. But whenever I go on TSR I feel right s**t, people talking about Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and putting down universities like Leeds etc... makes me feel worthless, even though I’m super proud I made it this far.
I don't get why people feel the need not only to compare themselves to others, but just generally diminish their achievements because people "say" they are in a "bad" uni. Like.. what does that mean? If you are happy with your uni, then it's a good uni. I'm going to UWE in september, and I always just kind of assumed it was a bad uni because I'd never heard it mentioned as one of the "prestigious" unis. Well, to my surprise they have a TEF gold lol. All that matters is whether or not you are happy there right? What else could possibly matter? what people think? why? Try and get some perspective on life. You are lucky enough to live and go to uni in a first world country. Not trying to diminish your problems at all, but try and view what you have rather than what you haven't. The more you do that, the more you'll realise that we have an AWFUL LOT to be very grateful for. Then small things such as which uni you go to will matter less lol. Good luck OP :heart:
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't use it then. Problem solved
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (34)
21.52%
No (124)
78.48%

Watched Threads